My time in SWTOR

As the title says I hit 50 today in SWTOR. Now since I went over(and actually leveled thru questing) to the various end game portions of SWTOR I feel pretty good about critiquing it. So here goes.

Pros:
    -Creative ways on determining your character's path. The light/dark side choices are pretty damn unique. I still don't fully understand their purpose beyond the titles and what seems to be equivalent gear for max light or dark, however the choices made during flashpoints are pretty cool with regards to what they give you. IE essele if yu betray the chick you get the title the backstabber or if you save her you get the uncomprimising.

-Cut scenes within the game. At very crucial points within my class quest as a commando the cutscenes would kick in. Now usually I zip past cutscenes because they are tacky, however in this game it felt pretty good. So good that when I finally beat Tavus and the gauntlet I was actually sitting up on my chair thinking to myself "Hell yeah!"

-Graphics. Simply astonishing. Alderaan is by far my favorite planet to be in. The graphics in this game flow so smoothly for me that I was in shock the entire time with the exception of Hoth which I found quite boring. But hey how much can you really show off in a planet that is snow covered and mountainous?

-Flashpoints. Progressive difficulty is amazing. Literally you can not judge the game's difficulty from the first flashpoint. They get progressively harder as you level. One thought always comes to mind when I think of the flashpoints. Taral V when you do the bonus quest and you have to kill the Sith in little room. Yeah mechanics arent hard however they are almost not forgiving. Difficulty for that boss in a full pug was amazing.

Cons:
    -BUGS! Yeah thats right. Tons of them. So much so I remember getting really frustrated with them. A couple to note would be the bridge in the gauntlet ship. I was walking across it and BAM! bridge disappeared and I went into an infinate free fall. No quick travel. No /stuck that could help me. Had to burn my fleet pass(18 hour cooldown) to get out.

-PVP. Terrible. I will say it was pretty amazing up until everyone started hitting 50 and getting expertise. There is nothing worse in a PVP game than to have 7/8 be less than level 14. Probably the only thing that comes close to that would be all the people thinking this is modern warfare and just running around trying to rambo everything and lose their 1v4 skirmish.

-Customer support. I saw that there was a live agent tab within the help screen however when I clicked it, it either did not function or there just werent any agents. I attempted to utilize this function at about 1pm PST on wednesday. Not sure what their hours are but thats about peak time for the east coast so it boggled me a little that no one was around.

-Character quests. Places like tatooine and Hoth are ridiculous with the amount of running around you have to do for quests. Both worlds are pretty large however as you traverse the landscape you notice massive spaces between quest areas with nothing but 1 or 2 filler mobs in between. Some of the quests don't flow smoothly and require you finish X quest from Y NPC in bumF- nowhere then as you are on your way out back to your ship you notice that Z NPC is ready to talk to you. Very frustrating.

All in all the journey to 50 was quite enjoyable. I however am now debating whether I should just call it quits once the 30 days free is up. Im not too big into raiding so the desire to do it isnt there. The storyline was a 8/10 for me. I guess the only fair option to bioware at this point is ride out the 30 days and see if they listen to their customer base.

Deleted
    You never ever played mmorpg since it launch? They all have bugs and annoying lil things but they'll repair them in future..

Skill>level in pvp. I've seen enough terrible 50s around they are easily able to be killed.

I'm enjoying it so far, though I really do wonder how many folks are going to exodus once they hit max level. It's not mind-blowing good, but the questing is certainly superior to any other MMO I've tried. This game definitely sets a new bar for that particular aspect of MMO's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    but he is right, this game had and still has lots of bugs. Way more than everywhere else
    Yes but nothing game breaking, its the nature of MMo's upon their release date to have dozens of minor bugs.... ToR is no different. Believe me I know, ToR is probably my 8th MMo since 2000.

But back to the OP, good read! And I agree with you on most of your points.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    You never ever played mmorpg since it launch? They all have bugs and annoying lil things but they'll repair them in future..
    All he is saying is that there were some bugs. It wasn't a thread based on how bad the bugs are, or that it is a buggy game...he was just describing one particularly annoying one he came across. This was a thread about what he has done/encountered in his time leveling to 50.

So your idea of playing an MMO is getting to the max level and stopping ? you got me on that one.

Bugs ? of course there are bugs, the game just launched, anyone out there who expected to have none or is annoyed by them and claims its "ridicoules" for the game to have any should stop complaining, you obviously never took part of a launch.

PVP ? again, launch, people jump into warzones because A. they are fun. B. good exp. You have to give these things some time, soon enough there will be more than enough 50s out there and you wont see that many low levels, also, i have seen lvl 16s and 21s destory 50s. skill > lvl.

but he is right, this game had and still has lots of bugs. Way more than everywhere else
    I must be lucky to have only encountered two in my time playing. =/

lol better be careful posting anything negative is not advised trust me here on mmo champ. Just /wave and move on to the next thread.

Mod Note: No, it's fine to post about negative aspects of a game. When it's done in a trolling matter, then it gets infracted. Also, post constructively next time. - Buckwald

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post

-Character quests. Places like tatooine and Hoth are ridiculous with the amount of running around you have to do for quests. Both worlds are pretty large however as you traverse the landscape you notice massive spaces between quest areas with nothing but 1 or 2 filler mobs in between. Some of the quests don't flow smoothly and require you finish X quest from Y NPC in bumF- nowhere then as you are on your way out back to your ship you notice that Z NPC is ready to talk to you. Very frustrating.
    Tatooine is a desert and large parts of it are uninhabitable. Hoth on the other hand has a climate so nasty that only a few native species can spend more than a few minutes outside.

Quote Originally Posted by monostat View Post
    Tatooine is a desert and large parts of it are uninhabitable. Hoth on the other hand has a climate so nasty that only a few native species can spend more than a few minutes outside.
    This. It's supposed to be like that, that's what makes these planets what they are.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid1 View Post
    Skill>level in pvp. I've seen enough terrible 50s around they are easily able to be killed.
    agreed. I was in a Alderaan warzone and soloed a 50 on my 18 bounty hunter, i believe she was a sage, heals, etc, and i still beat her down. It was sad really, because i typically just "know" i am dead when a 50 runs at me. She had terrible tactics, she cc me (force lift) and then start in on her attacks, which of course broke the cc, then we'd fight, and she's knock me away and cc me again, i'd break it this time, and usually that was it, she'd run and i'd blast her with missiles and cc her so she i could do my more melee abilities. I'd laugh and laugh at how bad she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    This. It's supposed to be like that, that's what makes these planets what they are.
    First let me say I am a born and bred SW geek. Now with that out of the way, this game will flounder in a big way due to its inaccessibility for ALL players. Be honest, those are 2 wasted worlds that could be sooo much better. The average player, which is what they need to flourish, will be turned off by aspects like this.

Otherwise, I agree with your points as well. Good read. My only complaint thus far is the sheer amount of solo play involved. I play with my wife, and we essentially have played very little in this game together. Mine is a 30 day game for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post
    First let me say I am a born and bred SW geek. Now with that out of the way, this game will flounder in a big way due to its inaccessibility for ALL players. Be honest, those are 2 wasted worlds that could be sooo much better. The average player, which is what they need to flourish, will be turned off by aspects like this.

Otherwise, I agree with your points as well. Good read. My only complaint thus far is the sheer amount of solo play involved. I play with my wife, and we essentially have played very little in this game together. Mine is a 30 day game for sure.
    Interesting. You know you can group up and quest together right? Their are group quests and hell even normal quests reward grouping up. I'm not sure I quite understand this mentality. Its as if the only way people will group up and play together is if theirs a giant button that says GROUP PLAYER EXPERIENCE CLICK HERE NOW. I thought this interesting feature of game player psychology was relegated to shy geeks in basements but apparently even married couples can't understand this concept.

Like I said before, instead of replying to, something you think is trolling, with more trolling isn't good. Report and move on. Infracted. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-31 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    lol better be careful posting anything negative is not advised trust me here on mmo champ. Just /wave and move on to the next thread.
    Your in the wrong thread, this is about swtor now wow where if you do slag it off you end up getting infracted because some butthurt wow loving mod doesnt agree with opinions.
    Other than that i dont take any of these threads seriously, 11 day old game and they expect it to be fucking perfection with x amount of expansion already on the go etc etc...some people really are and never will be happy.

See that crossed out portion? Yeah, don't do it. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-31 at 11:46 PM.

haha! i love how the SWTOR fanboys cant handle someones honest opinion about the game... its like they are sitting wringing their hands in worry that the game wont really work out in the end... honestly, after playing the game... sorry but its going in the same bin as RIFT and Aion.

Don't call people or a group of people "fanboy" - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-31 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post

Since you asked for it here is totally honest. If I would have got to Hoth and there had been mobs around everywhere instead of big open spaces with nothing but snow I would have nerd raged so hard. As for the solo play, I cant imagine how you can say that. Hit up any planet and don't do any of the heroic quests but gather them all and let me know how much Group content you will have missed on that planet. Add to that the fact that they actually reward you for grouping with people in the form of social points and bonus XP. This world is so smashed full of MMO content it's crazy, if you are not playing much with your wife then that's your fault.