I. Introduction
    II. Terminology
    III. Switches
    IV. Key Types
    V. Printing Types
    VI. Keyboards By Type
    VII. Sources

Introduction

Mechanical keyboards have been used since the beginning of computers, and predate membrane keyboards. Reliable and solid, Mechanical keyboards tend to last a great deal of time for the average user, more so than membrane keyboards. This, however, comes at a trade off. Mechanical keyboards are an expensive and thought intensive purchase, requiring proper research and knowledge to make an informed purchase and to be satisfied with your product. Mechanical keyboards can be purchased for a variety of reasons. Reliability, features, and feel are all important factors that determine the success of mechanical keyboards.

Terminology

Switches The vast majority of switches you'll come in contact with are developed my Cherry, a German company. They come in a variety of "colors" which define the attributes of the switch. More on this later.

NKRO/#KRO NKRO or KRO stands for Key Roll Over. Basically, it defines the amount of key presses the keyboard can take. Most Mechanical Keyboards take advantage of a high KRO for typing and gaming, so you have a flawless gaming experience. Most keyboards that have a high KRO will interface through the computer with the PS/2 port, as it takes complete advantage of unlimited KRO. Most common USB keyboards have 6 key rollover.

Tenkeyless A tenkeyless keyboard is a keyboard without the number pad for a more compact keyboard.

Tactile A click feedback can be felt in the key from actuation.

Clicky A click can be heard from the actuation. (And not from the key bottoming out.)

Switches

Cherry MX Blue
    A common typing switch, the cherry MX blue employes a tactile and clicky non linear switch. It's also found in Razer's "Blackwidow" series of keyboards. (Note: The Non-Nina/Stealth/Silent version.) These are loud switches, and not recommended for a public workplace. Additionally, if you're running audio sensitive setups such as streams or ventrilo, there's a good chance these can be heard over your microphone.

Cherry MX Black
    A common gaming switch, the cherry MX black employes a linear, non tactile, non clicky switch. They have a significantly higher actuation force, and are great keys for games that require multiple, quick key strikes such as RTS and MMOs. (Key spamming.) They are not recommended for typing due to their linear nature.

Cherry MX Brown
    Another common typist switch, the cherry MX brown keyswitches employ a non-linear, non-clicky, tactile switch. They are used commonly in keyboards where the tactile feel of MX Blue's would be desired, but the sound would not. (Many "silent" Mechanical keyboards use Cherry MX Browns.)

Cherry MX Red
    Another gaming switch, the cherry MX Red keyswitches are linear, non-clicky, non-tactile switches. They're incredibly sensitive, and not recommended for typing on. Cherry MX Red's are an acquired taste, due to their incredibly low actuation force. (Many "First Person Shooter" keyboards, such as the Corsair K60, use MX Red switches.)

THERE ARE OTHERS
    Buckling Spring, Cherry MX Clear, etc. All of these exist and can still be found, but are very unpopular for various reasons. I strongly recommend staying away from any mechanical switches that are not listed above.

Key Types

There's a few things that determine the "type" of keys.

Flat Common on laptops and chiclet style keyboards, you'll be hard pressed to find a mechanical keyboard with flat style key caps.

Spherical Common on older terminal style keyboards, these have lowered middles and raised corners, to fit the tip of the finger. These are more comfortable when struck directly from the top.

Cylindrical The most popular key type by far, these used raised left and right sides with a slightly lower middle to better fit the fingers. There's a good chance the keyboard you're typing on right now has cylindrical key types.

Printing Types

There's also various types of labels for keys. Some can be successful, and some can detract from the keyboard.

Pad These key printings can be felt on the keyboard, and are similar to tiny labels or stickers on the keys. These are cheap, and can scratch and wear off over time.

Laser Etching Laser etched keys are commonly found on white or light colored keys. This is because when the plastic burns from the laser, it turns black. These are common on older keyboards. When done on black keyboards, sometimes a dye will be used to fill in the cracks of the laser etching to make it visible. (Other times, people just desire them for the feel.) These can be felt on the keys.

Dye Dye [Sublimation] uses a dye which seeps into the keys and dyes the plastic. This is an expensive process, but will not wear away, and cannot be felt on the keys. It cannot be used on dark keys.

Injection Molding A small colored key is placed in a larger normal sized key. The small key is raised with the insignia or key design desired, and comes up through the bottom, and levels with the top. This cannot be felt, is the most durable*, and most expensive.
    *However, as the key ages, the two plastics can separate and the edge can sometimes be felt.

Keyboards by Type

Cherry MX Black
    Steelseries 6G
    Steelseries 7G
    Mionix Zibal 60
    ThermalTake Esports Meka G1
    ThermalTake Esports Meka
    Filco Ninja Majestouch-2
    Rosewill Rk-9000BL

Cherry MX Red
    Qpad MK-50*
    Qpad MK-85*
    Steelseries 6G Red Edition
    Corsair Vengeance K60
    Corsair Vengeance K90
    Rosewill RK-9000RE

Cherry MX Brown
    Zowie Celeritas Pro
    Zowie Celeritas
    Razer BlackWidow Stealth Ultimate
    Razer BlackWidow Stealth
    Filco Majestouch-2
    Filco Ninja Majestouch-2
    Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent
    Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Silent
    Rosewill RK-9000BR

Cherry MX Blue
    Razer BlackWidow
    Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Qpad MK-80*
    Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate
    Das Keyboard Model S Professional
    Rosewill RK-9000

*All of the Qpad Keyboards are currently available with all switches from their Online store, you're free to customize pick whatever you prefer! - enzity

Sources

Cherry Corp MX Key Switches
    Overclock.Net Mechanical Keyboard Guide
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-02 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info good sir
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    No problem. I enjoy making things like this. x3 Took me the greater part of the day to do though.

That was very informative, thank you.

Deleted
    Contributing with a list of keyboards if you dont mind, and their specific switches. I'll only list the most common gaming keyboards on the market right now cause otherwise this list would be far too long for any human being to ever pay attention too. This is just to help out from a reference point.

Cherry MX Black:

Steelseries 6G
    Steelseries 7G
    Mionix Zibal 60
    ThermalTake Esports Meka G1
    ThermalTake Esports Meka

Cherry MX Red

Qpad MK-50
    Qpad MK-85
    Steelseries 6G Red Edition
    Corsair Vengeance K60
    Corsair Vengeance K90

Cherry MX Brown

Zowie Celeritas Pro
    Zowie Celeritas

Cherry MX Blue

Razer BlackWidow
    Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Qpad MK-80

Also, all of the Qpad Keyboards are currently avalible with all switches from their Online store, you're free to customize pick whatever you prefer!

/hijack thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Added to OP. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    fascinating, i had no idea.

thank you.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.

The Deck Legend and Deck 82 really need to be on this list.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll look into them. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    add Ducky to the list, they are available in MX blue, brown, black, red, and clears, as well as backlit and non-backlit

but they are a bit of a pain to find in the US
    http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/ch/home.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I've recommended Ducky a few times, I don't know why I skipped over it.
    Oh dear God, that website isn't going to be easy to navigate.

Sweet! I posted about them a bit in this thread "Razer: Their products and you". You posted in it too actually. lol

Got mine last Dec after doing a ridiculous amount of reading on all the mechanical keyboards out there.

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 12:05 PM ----------

Oh and tigerimports. n e t is probably an easier place to buy from for a Ducky. =p They do sell some through Amazon too.
    Last edited by Artaois; 2012-01-08 at 05:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaois View Post
    Sweet! I posted about them a bit in this thread "Razer: Their products and you". You posted in it too actually. lol

Got mine last Dec after doing a ridiculous amount of reading on all the mechanical keyboards out there.

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 12:05 PM ----------

Oh and tigerimports. n e t is probably an easier place to buy from for a Ducky. =p They do sell some through Amazon too.

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 12:06 PM ----------

tiger imports is where i got mine
    http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/inde...duct_list&c=73

10+ Year Old Account
    I was bouncing back and forth between a Ducky and a Filco, but I realized that I could spend some $$ on computer components instead, so I went with my Sidewinder X4. I think it's silly that I write threads on Mechanical keyboards, but don't use one myself. I have a fully functional BlackWidow in my closet. /shrug

The Ducky Year of the Dragon was my runner up when I chose the Deck. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I was bouncing back and forth between a Ducky and a Filco, but I realized that I could spend some $$ on computer components instead, so I went with my Sidewinder X4. I think it's silly that I write threads on Mechanical keyboards, but don't use one myself. I have a fully functional BlackWidow in my closet. /shrug
    I am dissappoint. I'd rather spend them on peripherals than components. :P

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I am dissappoint. I'd rather spend them on peripherals than components. :P
    I have this issue aswell. I recently got a new screen instead of upgrading my 4670.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need a new motherboard. I broke my fan header, so it's sort of rigged up. That seems more worth it than a fancy keyboard.
    I have to press F1 fast enough on start up otherwise my crummy stock cooler pushes enough air to pressurize my room and blow my ear drums.

For what it's worth, I have a BlackWidow mechanical keyboard and I LOVE the clicky, tactile feeling of the keys. I doubt I will ever use a membrane keyboard again.
    Nameless hunter pets make me rage. You have been warned.