Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    I played Hardcore quite a bit in D2.

    (Latest characters i didn't delete after last i played ladder finished )



    And a ladder screenshot to prove i'm legit :]



    To answer OP's question, in D2 you had different titles for clearing a difficulty, you name was written in red and your character was showed in ''battle stance'' instead of ''town stance'' in the chat... that was about it. Will probably be similar in D3.

    Hardcore is extremely fun for me, but i definitively get its not for everyone. Playing hardcore imo does make you a much, much better player though, specialy when you go trough Hell. Everything needs to be calculated and you need really good reflexes to stay alive too. You must absolutly plan your spec right and keep survivability in mind instead of just spamming damage talents. Complete rejuv pots are also your best friend and you learn quickly to start crafting them with the cube even in normal.

    I don't know how hard D3 be, but it will most likely won't be as bad as D2 was. Things like Iron Maiden preventing melee characters from playing some parts of the game on Hardcore, or Burning Souls that could just global you before you even react even with maxed resists unless you had Tgod on you shouldn't happen in this day and age of gaming.

    I'm def pumped for it :]. I do plan to get a softcore character to 50 asap though to be able to profit from the PvP aspect of the game, but my second char will most likely be hardcore.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 05:22 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post

    Think about doing Hell Duriel the first run through, before you had the gear to stack your character to godly levels, without being able to return to town. The vast majority of people would never make it.
    Hell Duriel, like most Hell bosses was quite easy actually... Normal Duriel as a Necromancer though... have fun with it. (Yes that was something retarded with D2, bosses were actually the hardest in normal due to the limited power availlable to characters then, what killed people in Nightmare/Hell was sometime completly insane Prefix/Sufix Super-Elite combos, or plain mistakes.).
    Last edited by Zergal; 2012-01-13 at 05:29 AM.

  2. #62
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,029
    Oh god I had forgotten about Iron Maiden... my werewolf Druid always got pwned by that.

    That, and lightning-enchanted scarabs with Fana aura, oh the joy.

    Well now you guys are getting me pumped about Hardcore, so I will definitely try it again in D3.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Hell Duriel, like most Hell bosses was quite easy actually... Normal Duriel as a Necromancer though... have fun with it. (Yes that was something retarded with D2, bosses were actually the hardest in normal due to the limited power availlable to characters then, what killed people in Nightmare/Hell was sometime completly insane Prefix/Sufix Super-Elite combos, or plain mistakes.).
    You're assuming every single person in the world plays a summoner.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  4. #64
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,029
    What do you guys think would be the most survivable class for HC in D3? I'm thinking probably a ranged one, and possibly Barb. But probably not Monk.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  5. #65
    All bets on barbarian.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  6. #66
    Playing hardcore in D3 from start will be a pain, if you are doing this, then you are insane.
    At least I started playing hardcore in D2 after some years of doing PvE. Oh well, now I want to get back to D2 :/
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

  7. #67
    They're going to, at least as of right now, require a character who has beaten normal, like they did in the previous games. This means that you will have a clvl30 character before you even get to play hardcore, you will have seen all the bosses, at least on normal.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    I played Hardcore quite a bit in D2.

    (Latest characters i didn't delete after last i played ladder finished )



    And a ladder screenshot to prove i'm legit :]



    To answer OP's question, in D2 you had different titles for clearing a difficulty, you name was written in red and your character was showed in ''battle stance'' instead of ''town stance'' in the chat... that was about it. Will probably be similar in D3.

    Hardcore is extremely fun for me, but i definitively get its not for everyone. Playing hardcore imo does make you a much, much better player though, specialy when you go trough Hell. Everything needs to be calculated and you need really good reflexes to stay alive too. You must absolutly plan your spec right and keep survivability in mind instead of just spamming damage talents. Complete rejuv pots are also your best friend and you learn quickly to start crafting them with the cube even in normal.

    I don't know how hard D3 be, but it will most likely won't be as bad as D2 was. Things like Iron Maiden preventing melee characters from playing some parts of the game on Hardcore, or Burning Souls that could just global you before you even react even with maxed resists unless you had Tgod on you shouldn't happen in this day and age of gaming.

    I'm def pumped for it :]. I do plan to get a softcore character to 50 asap though to be able to profit from the PvP aspect of the game, but my second char will most likely be hardcore.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 05:22 AM ----------



    Hell Duriel, like most Hell bosses was quite easy actually... Normal Duriel as a Necromancer though... have fun with it. (Yes that was something retarded with D2, bosses were actually the hardest in normal due to the limited power availlable to characters then, what killed people in Nightmare/Hell was sometime completly insane Prefix/Sufix Super-Elite combos, or plain mistakes.).
    Infernal will be harder the D2 hell mode.


    Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

  9. #69
    I'm probably never going to touch Infernal mode...if I do though. I'll probably die... and never try again.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    You're assuming every single person in the world plays a summoner.
    Except that i almost always played PnB. Including the Necro from the Screenshot. Summoners were boring. Observation i made was valid for most builds i did, and i played quite a few.

    Love Bonespear/Bone Spirit, and Bone Shield saved my ass a bazillion times.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 11:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by scdogg44 View Post
    Infernal will be harder the D2 hell mode.
    Good news then :].
    Last edited by Zergal; 2012-01-13 at 11:08 PM.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Except that i almost always played PnB. Including the Necro from the Screenshot. Summoners were boring. Observation i made was valid for most builds i did, and i played quite a few.

    Love Bonespear/Bone Spirit, and Bone Shield saved my ass a bazillion times.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 11:08 PM ----------



    Good news then :].
    And I'm sure you never used a single golem or skeleton or revived, considering the entire reason nightmare and hell are easy for necros is because they hyperscale minions to unkillable levels (hell being the worst about this, a level 1 clay golem with no synergies can all but solo hell duriel).

    Trying being, for the most part, any other class and see how good you are at hell d2 without items.

    Me, I find all necros boring.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-01-13 at 11:50 PM.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    And I'm sure you never used a single golem or skeleton or revived, considering the entire reason nightmare and hell are easy for necros is because they hyperscale minions to unkillable levels (hell being the worst about this, a level 1 clay golem with no synergies can all but solo hell duriel).

    Trying being, for the most part, any other class and see how good you are at hell d2 without items.

    Me, I find all necros boring.
    Ye, necro's are rather boring, I agree. Although I must say, I've once beaten the Ubers with a poison Necro, (which was hard as hell, because I had to hit them with a dagger in melee to stop their regeneration). I think I had all my skills around lvl 52, 54 back then. That was not boring, I swear.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    And I'm sure you never used a single golem or skeleton or revived, considering the entire reason nightmare and hell are easy for necros is because they hyperscale minions to unkillable levels (hell being the worst about this, a level 1 clay golem with no synergies can all but solo hell duriel).

    Trying being, for the most part, any other class and see how good you are at hell d2 without items.

    Me, I find all necros boring.
    Well i was obviously using Clay Golems considering how fast a necro can die vs melee. Wasn't using neither revives or skellys in my PnB build, was liking building Bone Prison/Wall better because of its synergy with my other bone spells and was incredibly usefull to just trap mobs and kill them, specialy once i got Enigma ( Council dropped me my Jah rune :]).

    I guess it all comes to taste, as you can see, i also cleared the game (save for Hell Baal) as a Barbarian, also had a lvl 82 bowazon that died to burning souls, a lvl 7x wind druid that i deleted after selling his stuff (boring), and a lvl 78 melee sin that got TPPK'd in a Public Game. Was also about to work on a lightning sorc but ladder was getting pretty old so the game was really inactive so i quit. On that ladder alone, i don't remember all characters i made over the years lol.

    Only class i absolutly couldn't stand playing was Paladin. Hammerdins was probably the most mindless shit in this game, close second was probably trap sins.

    Edit : just reread your post...but you realise Clay golems did absolutly no damage right? And every other kind would just fall over in seconds unless you build your toon around it. I didn't play summoners in a long long while, but last time i remember most bosses AoEs just oneshotting our minions, save for golems. Summoners were amazing agains't 90% of the game, but not agains't bosses last time i played one at least.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 08:24 PM ----------

    Btw, here's my build without my gear on (on the first screeny i have 20/20 Bone Spirit too, damn mouseover), to my suprise i could still log on my toons even if they expired :O.
    Also took the time to SS the immense power of the clay Golem in hell mode, highly doubt something hitting for 20-48 at lvl 18 with synergies at 18(with my gear on) can solo ANYTHING in hell, save for a Fallen maybe.

    http://imageshack.us/g/33/screenshot018zk.jpg/

    Also tought i'd post this SS cause it made me lol.

    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...shot011jt.jpg/

    Duriel was such a nice guy :/. Drops 5 Town Portal scrolls and not afraid of anythin'.

    All of this makes me a bit nostalgic, wtb D3 already .
    Last edited by Zergal; 2012-01-14 at 08:29 PM.

  14. #74
    A clay golem can solo hell duriel because he absolutely will never die. The scaling nightmare and hell gives to summons is incredible - necromancers in particular get extreme power boosts when they move up difficulty levels, undoubtedly the easiest class to solo hell with.

    Trapsin is fun, assassin in general, they have such variety of playstyles that no other class really has. Between mobmindcontrol/cloak of shadows/traps/kicks/blade shield with on proc effects (rift sin <3)/weapon charges you have more useful skills than there are buttons for.

    I'll agree that hammerdin was dumb as hell, can't believe people actually convinced themselves it was fun.

    Anyway, my original comment was aimed at people not playing with anyone else. Your very first character, if you're by yourself and not a necro, will most likely never even make it to hell, and if it does, expect to die very promptly.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-01-14 at 11:47 PM.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  15. #75
    I'm not sure if you can drop out of a game like you could in d2 whenever a scary pack of mobs shows up but if you cant... no scroll of tp

    hardcore will be very hardcore in d3

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Anyway, my original comment was aimed at people not playing with anyone else. Your very first character, if you're by yourself and not a necro, will most likely never even make it to hell, and if it does, expect to die very promptly.
    For someone claiming to find Hell rather easy, you sure make silly comments. I leveled my Sorc first and foremost, farmed Mephisto until I got some better gear around lvl 70 and stored as much as possible on mules. Granted, I've been lucky while dodging iceballs more than once, but it certainly got the job done. edit - But than again, I'm a good player

    I started my Necro last. And made it a poison.

  17. #77
    I used to duel max level hardcore in D2 before the runes and the "rust storm" happened but since going 1-99 was basically a joke I can't really say it was all that hardcore. You just had a friend in your duels game and if you lost they picked up all your stuff and you did it all again. If you were bored you could duel for corpse loot too.

    Edit: I also had 3 friends and we power leveled one another so it wasn't solo leveling.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    For someone claiming to find Hell rather easy, you sure make silly comments. I leveled my Sorc first and foremost, farmed Mephisto until I got some better gear around lvl 70 and stored as much as possible on mules. Granted, I've been lucky while dodging iceballs more than once, but it certainly got the job done. edit - But than again, I'm a good player

    I started my Necro last. And made it a poison.
    I ran myself through hell on a sorc once, too. I also died in flayer dungeon level 2 when I teleported into a pack of elite flayers and didn't have time to teleport again before I was in the ground.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  19. #79
    Oh the hardcore deaths :/
    I still remember the most silly ones, like getting stuck in a bunch of mobs that wouldn't kill you if you actually did something first, but you are too lazy to fight and just fly across the room as sorc, and die before you can yell OH GOD.
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

  20. #80
    the whole new level of difficulty! =)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •