Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Are there benefits for playing Hardcore?

Like high drop chances on items or anything? Or is it just for fun?

Deleted
    You become a legend if you manage to defeat the game without dying once, especially if you have the guts to bet all your progress on it. There's nothing different other than there being no RMAH & the whole one life thing.

Thanks! Looks like i'm going to be a legend then.

Good luck if anyone can actually accomplish this feat I will be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Good luck if anyone can actually accomplish this feat I will be amazed.
    There were people in D2 with 7 HC characters of each class who had each beaten the highest difficulty level. Unless Inferno is some Godless soul-destroying blender of lesser characters, I imagine it won't be too uncommon.

I don't expect hardcore to be difficult. The only deaths I'm expected are playing through hell/inferno for the first time, otherwise, most of the things that killed us in D2 are no longer present.

Of course, removing S/E and the ability to spam pots is going to make boss fights more interesting.

As per the OP, I still swear I have better luck with drops on hardcore, but Blizzard insists it is the same game.

Deleted
    I'm hoping there will be achievements galore for doing it in hardcore?

Yes, I'm an achievement whore

There is no bonus, just rage when you die at high level thanks to badly randomized spawn (i managed to die to swarm of will-o-wisps in diablo 2, no possible defense, they just shot me all at once).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    There is no bonus, just rage when you die at high level thanks to badly randomized spawn (i managed to die to swarm of will-o-wisps in diablo 2, no possible defense, they just shot me all at once).
    i had 2 groups of wisp with a rare in each, one with fanat, one with conviction auras....they are the reason i never touched HC again, i'd started solo'ing baal runs on hell even, easily, and one time tele'ing down....

it doesnt help that they are basically invisible until they engage... boom 93 light sorc with infinity on merc dead.
    yes they ate through energy shield like that, i died with tons of FCR in 7 frames i died. less than 1/4th of a second.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Just takes one big lag spike to kill it....

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I'm hoping there will be achievements galore for doing it in hardcore?

Yes, I'm an achievement whore
    This would be awesome as I love getting acheivments as well.

Hardcore had no appeal to me in D2 because Nightmare was retarded at times. Oh, a monster complete immune to my only source of outgoing damage? Sweet, let me just....run? Forever? They can make it hard without making it so fucking -annoying- by doing shit like that...

You'll be known as a hardcore mofo. That's all the benefit you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Hardcore had no appeal to me in D2 because Nightmare was retarded at times. Oh, a monster complete immune to my only source of outgoing damage? Sweet, let me just....run? Forever? They can make it hard without making it so fucking -annoying- by doing shit like that...
    It was fun in D2, imo.

Edit:

Ugh, people wanting achievements for doing it...

How will people even know you have completed it on hardcore if there isn't a achievement to show or is there something else?

Quote Originally Posted by jmann View Post
    How will people even know you have completed it on hardcore if there isn't a achievement to show or is there something else?
    I'm certain there's an achievement + your player's banner will get added accessories to show off your accomplishments.

OT: defeating hardcore is just a sick thrill for some people that earns bragging rights. it's actually pretty intense playing a game knowing that any moment you could die and lose everything. I never got into it in D2 but these days it seems more appealing for some reason. I'm kinda digging that sort of rush from a game.
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2012-01-01 at 09:34 PM.

It's not just about the thrill of life and death, it's about competition. The ladder in hardcore Diablo II means something, not only is it who can level the fastest, but who can stay alive doing it, and people die all the time at 95-98. The ladder on SC is literally just who can play the most.

And even if you're not into the ladder rush, people become legends on D2HC, something I've never seen in SC. People become famous for PvP, others get bounties on their heads because of griefing low levels, there is a specific community that revolves around the fact that characters actually die that will never exist in SC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    yeah ahaha I have a friend that used to play hardcore in Diablo II

said to me
    "no because it is awesome, you're on your toes and the adrenaine yadda yadda".. "then you die and it is all *fuck. this. shit.*"

oh of course I do not want to "not" reccomend to try. I wont even try myself but hat tip and *bow* to every brave champ that want to start this journey

Nothing is different. Its just once you die its over but im guessing HC will be popular at the start but after a year or two of playing
    if you wont have a good group of players playing it, it will be hard for you to play alone.

In Diablo 2 HC, public games were an invitation for the people who just wanted to kill you.
    if you know how to play diablo in general u wont be dying to other players a lot. the reason why you would die would be the cause of a bad TP, unique monsters with buffs that will fuck you up since u cant really pot fast enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan to play only one HC character as a main. But I'll level one of each class on SC just for achievements and to try out the RMAH. Can't wait to level my +1 Life WD, though. I'd say the only TRUE benefit is having that awesome adrenaline rush at the beginning of the game just knowing, KNOWING that if you mess up you're going to die and trying to be as careful as possible. It's all about the prestige, baby!

Deleted
    id like to see a pack of souls arcane enchanted
    i just fucking love souls on hc heroes <3