Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    Long long time lurker here making a first post, and a big thank you to all who've made the GW2 forums a great read and source of information! Simply cannot wait to get my hands on this game!

    I agree that there will be bots in GW2, they will have some effect on the economy. Thanks, though, to some brilliant design work from ArenaNet, I think the impact of bots on your collection/gathering activities will be near none at all - this mainly from the fact that I've heard gathering nodes - a common target of botting systems - spawn for all players, not on a "first come first served" basis as in many other games.

    It remains to be seen how much gathered materials, and gold coin actually "matter" in the game, to determine what effect gold farming and botting will have on the overall economy. By this, I mean that if a fair percentage of the good, high level rewards are only obtainable via currencies or points one can earn by participation (say in Dungeons or Dynamic Events), then the "value" of gold and perhaps other farmed materials is diminished, and the potential market for these items and currencies is considerably smaller. I don't know enough of the details of GW2 to understand whether or not this is the case, but I certainly hope it is!
    This. We'll just have to see how it all turns out. What we know is, that botters won't be able to annoy other players anymore who are farming. That in itself is a nice first step! But botting would still be possible if people want to say, speed up the farming process and let a bot run while they are sleeping and do more fun things while actively playing the game. Steps will still need to be taken then.

    And welcome!

  2. #22
    Welcome Midnight Man, it's good to see others in these forums for once. Have a nice stay and you're welcome to come to our weekly midnight table flipping events!

    On topic:

    Bots will definitely have a reduced effect in guild wars 2, most of the statements already made have contributed to this argument. In my opinion there will be bots but for unknown reasons.
    Yes that is Spider-Man crying over a box of Uncle Ben's rice.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    I heard CBT was coming to an end kinda shortly, as well .
    who said that?

  4. #24
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by kimboslice View Post
    who said that?
    Overly hopeful people.

  5. #25
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Overly hopeful people.
    Not that we don't want to see them right! But yeh, that might just be a tad too early.

  6. #26
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,304
    Well I don't know exact things, but I do imagine the bots would need tons of programming to actually work at all. I mean think about it:
    -for gathering stuff, they don't only need to kill stuff, because when they go to a zone they get tuned for the level of that zone they'd need to actually play ok, so they'd need to know to pull only a certain number of mobs, what abilities to cast and where to cast them (since some need to be targeted) and actually use abilities since otherwise there's no auto-attack
    -they'd need to take into account major battles, since towns they might go to might be overrun, or certain npcs they would need to kill might not be there at all
    -in PvP they'd also need to use their abilities, but here it's easier, since besides casting not sure if there's a kick system and how it works yet
    -in events they get rewards based on participation, so if they just go in, spam 2 abilities they'll gain really really little

  7. #27
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes

    Something I just stopped to think about, based on Arnorei's post above - and that is, because there's no mounts or flying involved in GW2 (yay!), bots will most definitely have a harder time in this game compared to (say) WoW.

    In WoW, a bot can probably be quickly programmed to fly a certain route, and in most cases, most farming routes involve little to no combat, and, as pointed out, when they do, there is no retuning of levels, no different skills, and no dynamics in the zone that might affect it to a major degree.

    In GW2 this is not the case, so, yes, I'd think actually making a bot in the first place will be significantly more difficult (though, not impossible, and it won't stop them doing it, it'll just make it harder, and potentially less worthwhile).

  8. #28
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes

    Something I just stopped to think about, based on Arnorei's post above - and that is, because there's no mounts or flying involved in GW2 (yay!), bots will most definitely have a harder time in this game compared to (say) WoW.

    In WoW, a bot can probably be quickly programmed to fly a certain route, and in most cases, most farming routes involve little to no combat, and, as pointed out, when they do, there is no retuning of levels, no different skills, and no dynamics in the zone that might affect it to a major degree.

    In GW2 this is not the case, so, yes, I'd think actually making a bot in the first place will be significantly more difficult (though, not impossible, and it won't stop them doing it, it'll just make it harder, and potentially less worthwhile).
    Bots aren't farming in WoW for quite some time now, the things they are doing now is hacking accounts and it happens.. A LOT, account gets dumped. Gold gets transferred and if the person has a high ranking in the guild, the guild banks can be depleted as well (my guild has 350k gold, so those cases will be big wins for them). This will also happen in GW2, fake e-mails or trojans will give account infomation to them and deplete your account. This is the biggest threat Anet will have with botters.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Bots aren't farming in WoW for quite some time now
    Oh yeah, they definitely still are. There are still harvesting bots and honor farming bots, two things that I fully expect to see in GW2. And I don't consider that "hacking" accounts, that's just keylogging people who aren't careful and click on suspicious links/download suspicious mods/check on the teachers sex leg, I like the secone.

    A company can do everything possible to prevent/stop botting, but the botters will always be one step ahead. Companies can proactively work to try and prevent botting, but the sad fact is that most of what they can do is reactive as botters will ALWAYS find a way around the preventative measures : /

  10. #30
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Oh yeah, they definitely still are. There are still harvesting bots and honor farming bots, two things that I fully expect to see in GW2. And I don't consider that "hacking" accounts, that's just keylogging people who aren't careful and click on suspicious links/download suspicious mods/check on the teachers sex leg, I like the secone.

    A company can do everything possible to prevent/stop botting, but the botters will always be one step ahead. Companies can proactively work to try and prevent botting, but the sad fact is that most of what they can do is reactive as botters will ALWAYS find a way around the preventative measures : /
    I haven't seen a harvesting bot in ages, so that's why I said that. However keyloggers are everywhere.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I haven't seen a harvesting bot in ages, so that's why I said that. However keyloggers are everywhere.
    In Wow, Uldum is just full of harversting bots. You see all day people mining with the rez sickness, not fighting back. So they do exist nowadays, and are quite obvious.

    With the dynamic world, I just think it's going to be harder for those bots to exist in GW2.
    Also, authenticator FTW

    ON a side note, will there be authenticators available in GW2?

  12. #32
    Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    ON a side note, will there be authenticators available in GW2?
    i hope so, i really do

  13. #33
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    ON a side note, will there be authenticators available in GW2?
    From this article:
    After having discovered the NCsoft and ArenaNet logos at the Vasco booth (a company offering secure login services) I grabbed my chance to get some confirmation. Randy confirmed that they have ‘lined up’ with Vasco to explore the various security options they have to offer. If and what kind of security measures they will eventually implement though are not yet determined.
    Vasco is the company that makes the Digipass, also know as the Blizzard authenticator.

    Vasco booth at Gamescom:
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-15 at 07:15 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •