Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    when i fought brock i had a nidorino, pidgeotto, butterfree, and my pikachu, all somewhere around 18~
    even at the tender age of 10, i knew what was needed
    i was... the pokemon master

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMcNut View Post
    Pokemon Yellow, good sir. You couldn't obtain charmander at that point.
    On-topic: OP, you're aware they made Mankey available a lot earlier in that game specifically to use against Brock, right? You only had to train it to level 9 for it to learn low kick too :3
    Maybe he played red version.

Deleted
    1.) level pikachu to 21 and learn slam
    2.) ????
    3. ) profit

But I prefer red over yellow just because I don't like pikachu !

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Most of you at least age of 17 or older remember pokemon yellow. It was awesome, you were basically ash, you had pikachu follow you around 24/7.

It was GREAT...

Oh wait, I'm forgetting something...

Pikachu vs Onyx...and like most people who were new to pokemon games like myself you just leveled up pikachu cause he was the strongest, easiest pokemon to use. Then you came to brock and literally it felt like I got my gameboy slapped to my face (remember that big grey brick...yeah those hurt).

I once heard someone compare heroic ragnaros (pre-nerf) to beating onyx with pikachu in pokemon yellow.

I thought it was hilarious because it was 100% true. It was damn near impossible unless you got either

A) God forsaken lucky

or

B) Your pikachu was a god amongst others

So I wanna hear eveybody elses comparisons to it
    i do it with just pikachu

its the 1st and only time i had double team on my move set

god i loved double team and quick attack bck then

lvl 15+ it was

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    What was so hard about getting Pikachu to 15 to learn Double Team? Assuming you mean beating the game with nothing but Pikachu, since using any other pokemon makes Brock a pushover.
    Most people probably don't use Double Team, I guess. At least in my case, I usually go flat out for powerful attacks unless there's some sort of insane stat-boosting ability or some attack that decrease your stats for the fight.

Although, if you get it automatically because Pikachu doesn't have 4 moves yet, that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Yes, I am truly deserving of the title "Pokemon Nerd".
    Only if you know what EV-training is.

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Maybe he played red version.
    Or Blue, but OP was specifically talking about Yellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Most people probably don't use Double Team, I guess. At least in my case, I usually go flat out for powerful attacks unless there's some sort of insane stat-boosting ability or some attack that decrease your stats for the fight.

Although, if you get it automatically because Pikachu doesn't have 4 moves yet, that's another story.

Only if you know what EV-training is.
    I know what EV-training is... haven't been fully able to implement it since middle school days of Ruby/Saphire :P
    And Double Team is banned in most competitive play because it's so damn cheap. Hate when Elite Four guys use it

10+ Year Old Account
    Butterfree and confusion is what I used.

I remember having played my sister's red and evolved Charmander to Charmeleon and just ember-ing down Brock. Burn for the win.

But in yellow, I remember looking forever for a Weedle that didn't exist in that game. I was just going to poison Brock and wait for Onix to faint, but I never found it and ended up with a Butterfree by then.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Mankey was available in Yellow west of Viridian City, and it learned Low Kick early in Yellow as well. Pretty much the only way to beat Brock in yellow. better question was how people did it in Blue/Red picking Charmander. Even worse, next trainer is Misty, whose water types kicked Charmander's ass as well.
    I always thought the three starting ones you could choose from represented a difficulty each. Bulbasaur was Easy, Squirtle was Normal, Charmander was Hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just caught a Mankey in the area west of viridian city and leveled him until he learned a decent fighting type attack (Karate Chop or Low Kick I believe). Took down onyx no problem.

It wasn't a random Pikachu (Sparky lol). It was THE Pikachu, the one who doesn't need to evolve in order to beat Gary motherfukin Oak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    better question was how people did it in Blue/Red picking Charmander. Even worse, next trainer is Misty, whose water types kicked Charmander's ass as well.
    Actually Charmander did surprisingly well against Brock. As long as you had Ember and were around Brock's level, they'd fall pretty quickly to Ember spam. I'd usually leave Pewter with a Charmeleon already, together with some others at around the same level.

As for Misty... that'd be tougher by picking Charmander, but a Pikachu from Viridian Forest or something like that would do short work of her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    I always thought the three starting ones you could choose from represented a difficulty each. Bulbasaur was Easy, Squirtle was Normal, Charmander was Hard.
    It more had to do with the difficulty of the beginning/end/particular gym leaders. Most say Bulbasaur offered an easier beginning, but a harder ending, Squirtle was about the same, Charmander offered a more difficult beginning and an easier ending.

Bulbasaur: good against the first 2 gym leaders, but bad against Koga, Blaine, and Sabrina

Squirtle: good against brock, blaine, and giovanni, bad against Lt. Surge and Erika

Charmander: bad against Brock and Misty, and Giovanni, good against Erika and Koga

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    In a way, yes. But you'd be a fool if you only used your starter (even in Gen 1).

10+ Year Old Account
    onyx was beatable if u got a nidoran with low kick... i still play pokemon yellow lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't remember if it was on yellow or one of the other games, but i remember geting a nidoran (male), levling it up, and Double kick pewpew.
    Was a long time ago, so might have been twisted a little.

I dunno about plant guys and pidgey, but Butterfree vs. Brock was instant win...

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    I'm more of the Charmander user. I ember spammed, then I got lucky with a crit.
    I thought you only got Charmander in the water city.
    I remember I didn't know what to do in the starting area. I remember you had to go to the PokeMart and deliver the Pokedex back to Oak. I didn't know this so that stupid fat guy needing his coffee was blocking the way. I literally grinded my Pikachu to level 25 before I finally had a go at what to do next. Needless to say I wiped the floor with Brock lol >_>
    Last edited by Mustakrakish; 2012-01-01 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Pff, Butterfree and confusion did the job
    That too. Butterfree's stats sucked, but in all three games you got Confusion early, and it was the earliest psychic attack you got. And we all know how OP psychic was in gen 1. As long as you leveled it from a Caterpie, getting a metapod without tackle xp was a pain.

Wait, how is Butterfree good against Onix? It's Bug and Flying which are both weak from Rock attacks, does Onix not use any Rock-abilities? If so, I can see why it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    I'm more of the Charmander user. I ember spammed, then I got lucky with a crit.
    This is pokemon yellow bro, you get him later on. All i remember about onyx was i used worthless pokemon to lower his moves to 0/0 then used pikachu's tackle to down him.