Page 1 of 2
LastLast

possible Pet battles in GW2 - a quick steal from WoW? Nope!

This thread is just a simple call to all the trolls:
    There are probably pet battles in GW2 too

GW1 had pet-battles, the minigame was called "Polymock"
    Polymock is a minigame in Guild Wars Eye of the North to earn reputation with the Asura. You play against the AI with three "pieces" that you select, each with a unique skill bar; the aim is to defeat your opponent by countering the "pieces" that it picks.

There are 27 different Polymock pieces, of which 18 are obtainable for players. Each time you pick one piece, you take the form of the corresponding creature. Polymock pieces resemble chess pieces when viewed in your inventory and appear to have a unique shape that is dependent upon the creature the piece is based upon. Each piece has its own set of skills, as shown by the table below. Polymock pieces must be registered before they can be used.
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Polymock

it looked like this:

so why do I believe that the game makes a return in GW2? take a look at this:

Q: Will Polymock come back as an activity in Guild Wars 2?
    John: The original version of Polymock was one of those instances where we had something that we really wanted to be able to do, but we weren’t able to see it fully realized in Guild Wars. Polymock was one of Colin Johanson’s side projects during Eye of the North. He envisioned it as something that was fully turn-based, a very different game unto itself. It would have played up the collectible element, and the meaning to bringing different pieces into the game. Unfortunately, that wasn’t something we were able to do at the time with the resources we had, but it is something we can do with Guild Wars 2. So if you see Polymock making its return, it will be in a more robust implementation, to reflect what we had always wanted it to be.
    Q: How players can obtain mini-pets in Guild Wars 2? Will they be distributed as birthday presents like in the original Guild Wars, or will there be other ways, for example crafting?
    A: We are not ready to talk about mini-pets yet at this point. I can say that they will play a larger role in Guild Wars 2 than that they have played in the original Guild Wars.
    http://gw2ita.wordpress.com/review/i...-italian-blog/

ERIC: Our mini-pet system is undergoing development as we speak. I can't offer much in the way of details yet, but I can say that we want to push the fun and collectability of our mini-pets to new levels.
    http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/previe...ars-2-pt1.html

So not sure if there has been any confirmation on advanced Polymock in GW2 yet, but if it's in, it is not a reaction on WoWs pet battle system.
    I felt this had to be clarified, nevermind
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-13 at 12:06 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Me love minigames <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    This thread is just a simple call to all the trolls:
    There are probably pet battles in GW2 too

GW1 had pet-battles, the minigame was called "Polymock"

so why do I believe that the game makes a return in GW2? take a look at this:

So not sure if there has been any confirmation on advanced Polymock in GW2 yet, but if it's in, it is not a reaction on WoWs pet battle system.
    I felt this had to be clarified, nevermind
    Thank you for the post. In fact, I had no idea Guild Wars 1 even had such a system before. Its these kind of things that really do need clarification sometimes, otherwise people will see it as a gimmick to try and rip off the success of other companies with such systems.

Whether it will be implemented or not, I am quite intrigued now. I hope it does make it in ><

Deleted
    I liked the idea of polymock in GW1 but not the way it was implemented. Hopefully it will return but completely revised. *fingers crossed*

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I remember either Jeff Grubb or Eric Flannum saying that mini pets would be about to fight in GW2, but I'll be damned if I can find that video again

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Thank you for the post. In fact, I had no idea Guild Wars 1 even had such a system before. Its these kind of things that really do need clarification sometimes, otherwise people will see it as a gimmick to try and rip off the success of other companies with such systems.

Whether it will be implemented or not, I am quite intrigued now. I hope it does make it in ><
    Blizzard does this all the time. When I first watched the MoP video they debuted at blizcon my first thought is "Half of those key features are ripped right off the GW2 feature list". The sad thing is the drooling masses often say Game X riped Y off from WoW when wow copied game X who in turn copied it from game Z in the first place.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Blizzard does this all the time. When I first watched the MoP video they debuted at blizcon my first thought is "Half of those key features are ripped right off the GW2 feature list". The sad thing is the drooling masses often say Game X riped Y off from WoW when wow copied game X who in turn copied it from game Z in the first place.
    I agree, Blizzard HAS ALWAYS ripped of features and ideas from other games, always. Hell, even the Warcraft Series was originally based off of some fantasy that existed such as tolkien's orcs and D&D.

The difference though is Blizzard usually took an idea and perfected it before implementing it, they did it so well that people could not fathom that they even saw it before in another game. Sadly this is not the case anymore, as they seem to be putting in less effort when creating newer features for their games, and focusing on hyping the game up instead.

Because WoW/GW1 invented the concept of pet battles.... Pokemon anyone? I don't mind if I see pet battles in every MMO from now on. I think its a great idea for endgame and will add hours of fun content, for any game
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Because WoW/GW1 invented the concept of pet battles.... Pokemon anyone? I don't mind if I see pet battles in every MMO from now on. I think its a great idea for endgame and will add hours of fun content, for any game
    Pokemon didn't come up with pet battles either however, they originally were based off of trading card games that were rather popular in japan, the only thing Pokemon really invented was a fighting system between cards, otherwise it is the same as comparing one cards stats to another.

WoW and GW1 only are taking that aspect of the game from Pokemon, since it is one of the few most successful marketing products of its type.

And who the hell cares about Pokemon anyways? This is about who is planning on implementing this feature first in their MMO, and WoW is already late to the party on that one. The only reason this thread exists is to prevent future trolls from trying to declare that GW2 is copying off WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Pokemon didn't come up with pet battles either however, they originally were based off of trading card games that were rather popular in japan, the only thing Pokemon really invented was a fighting system between cards, otherwise it is the same as comparing one cards stats to another.

WoW and GW1 only are taking that aspect of the game from Pokemon, since it is one of the few most successful marketing products of its type.

And who the hell cares about Pokemon anyways? This is about who is planning on implementing this feature first in their MMO, and WoW is already late to the party on that one. The only reason this thread exists is to prevent future trolls from trying to declare that GW2 is copying off WoW.
    The Pokémon cards were just one form of merchandising (another ones are all the toys, movies and games). The anime, however, was first there and clever people starting milking money out of it.

I'm still with the "just say no to pokemon" crowd, simply because there are more interesting (imho) features.

Which includes mini-games to clean toilets in your virtual housing.

15+ Year Old Account
    For some reason, pet battles were one of the few features I was actually looking forward to in Mists of Pandaria, but sadly that was about it. After hearing this it makes me very happy. Sure it won't be exactly the same, that's fine. I just hope it is fun and makes me feel like I "gotta catch em all".

I have never managed to keep up with pokemon. I can't buy every single platform it comes out on, I just don't have that kind of money to throw around. I have been hoping for years for them to just make a PC version, but that will never happen. But this will hopefully solve my issues. Here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    I liked the idea of polymock in GW1 but not the way it was implemented. Hopefully it will return but completely revised. *fingers crossed*
    same I remeber fighting my way to the asura's place to try it out....
    ...then the limitations of the system were made apparent.
    I hope it comes much later along the line after it has all the time it needs to developed
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

Deleted
    Games rip off ideas of other games....not just Blizzard, be real.

I'm not really into all this pet battle thingy especially if it's turn-based combat. So unless they don't come up with something really cool I will not to much care about this feature even though it's nice to know that there is something else to do in the game besides PvP/instances/DE etc.

Deleted
    Nice news, I'm a bit of a pokemon fan so it's nice to see a mini game they had planned finally see the daylight.

found this statement:
    ERIC: Our mini-pet system is undergoing development as we speak. I can't offer much in the way of details yet, but I can say that we want to push the fun and collectability of our mini-pets to new levels.
    http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/previe...ars-2-pt1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I'm still with the "just say no to pokemon" crowd, simply because there are more interesting (imho) features.

Which includes mini-games to clean toilets in your virtual housing.
    While it doesn't really address your stance on the "interest level" of the features, virtual pet/pet battling games existed well before Pokemon. As a game design feature, it's actually rather rich soil. It provides an optional orthogonal advancement path for players, where the devs can explore novel mechanics without risking serious impacts on the other parts of the game (which tend to be much more tightly interwoven).

I don't know that I'll play the system in MoP, or if I'd play the one GW2 might have, but they're definitely a good idea from a game developer perspective.
    Worth noting: Pokemon is one of the highest-selling game franchises in history. Ignore a 200-million-unit genre at your own peril.

If companies didn't borrow ideas from each other we wouldn't have any good games.

Just saying.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    If companies didn't borrow ideas from each other we wouldn't have any good games.

Just saying.
    Tell that to Apples patent lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Tell that to Apples patent lawyers
    Aww, you beat me to it.