Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Question What is currently wrong with the Thief and also the Engineer?

    On countless threads I am seeing the Thief being bashed for currently having too many problems, but I don't get what problems these people are talking about, the Thief is what it's supposed to be, a very agile stealthy warrior-like profession, so I do not see all the complaints involving the Thief nor do I see why it would be hated on since I am will choosing this profession as my main and I think it's just brilliant.

    Now another problem I'm currently viewing is that the Engineer are also being hated on and bashed, on numerous threads they are drastically lower in votes on professions polls compared to any other class, having even a lot less votes then both the Ranger and the Thief. But I don't see why it's hated on either, it's a really versatile and it seems like it could do a lot of damage even in the hands of the least experienced. Can someone please explain to me why it is the least favored class to this date?
    Last edited by TheAmazingFeedz; 2012-01-01 at 05:35 PM.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    People are having an issue with the Thief's utility. They don't realise that a cross profession combo is more then putting down a patch of ice, it needs someone to send out ice projectiles, and that's the Thief's job.

    The Engineers lack of popularity is solely due to unfamiliarity. Rogues will gravitate to the Thief, Hunters to the Ranger, but as Engineer is a new concept, it has to earn it's fanbase.

  3. #3
    I like how people are making claims of classes being "over/underpowdered " (see what I did there?) before there is any significant amount of information out about a lot of it. It makes me giggle inside.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I like how people are making claims of classes being "over/underpowdered " (see what I did there?) before there is any significant amount of information out about a lot of it. It makes me giggle inside.
    Well, from what I've seen, most of the complaints concerning the Thief weren't power-based. They were mostly about the lack of clear Support options and weapons that didn't work together all that well.

    The problem with the Engineer seems to be that no-one (except people who played it, of course) really can visualize how it will work. It can be about a lot of weapon changes and different skills in different areas.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Well, from what I've seen, most of the complaints concerning the Thief weren't power-based. They were mostly about the lack of clear Support options and weapons that didn't work together all that well.

    The problem with the Engineer seems to be that no-one (except people who played it, of course) really can visualize how it will work. It can be about a lot of weapon changes and different skills in different areas.
    Exactly, it's a "This is unfamiliar and I don't fully understand the class, so it must be underpowdered" mindset. One of the Anet staff responded to the thief fears by mentioning that one of the devs was currently playing a support thief and loving it. With the amount of time they've been putting into the the game and the amount of effort shown on each class so far, I wouldn't be worried.

  6. #6
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,320
    There is nothing wrong with the Thief or Engineer, people only judge to quickly.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the Thief or Engineer, people only judge to quickly.
    Maybe something is actually wrong. There's no way to say either way. Going over the skill list, they seem to have most necessary niches covered, but only actual gameplay will be able to provide accurate data.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Maybe something is actually wrong. There's no way to say either way. Going over the skill list, they seem to have most necessary niches covered, but only actual gameplay will be able to provide accurate data.
    Assuming something is wrong because we don't know everything about it is just silly.

  9. #9
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Maybe something is actually wrong. There's no way to say either way. Going over the skill list, they seem to have most necessary niches covered, but only actual gameplay will be able to provide accurate data.
    Then tell me how the people would know if there was something wrong.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Then tell me how the people would know if there was something wrong.
    My post goes both ways. I should have been clearer. Saying a class is perfect or a class is flawed in some way is equally silly. We can only comment on the available info.

    In the case of the perceived Thief problem, the problem would be a lack of support-options. This might indeed be true, going over the skill list for Thieves they seem to have less options in that area available. However, they do provide a rather wide range of debuffs they can apply as well as a couple of ways to hamper movement in enemies and a area-wide stealth for his allies. People just see support too narrow. (Theoretically speaking. Only by playing can we see if the option available are (in)sufficient.)
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! Grading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Myouren Temple
    Posts
    5,341
    Remember that most humans have a natural fear of the unknown, so people will be wary of the Engineer until they give it a go.

    I'm strongly considering rolling one, though. Seems like they could be very useful. And being useful is my kind of fun.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    My post goes both ways. I should have been clearer. Saying a class is perfect or a class is flawed in some way is equally silly. We can only comment on the available info.

    In the case of the perceived Thief problem, the problem would be a lack of support-options. This might indeed be true, going over the skill list for Thieves they seem to have less options in that area available. However, they do provide a rather wide range of debuffs they can apply as well as a couple of ways to hamper movement in enemies and a area-wide stealth for his allies. People just see support too narrow. (Theoretically speaking. Only by playing can we see if the option available are (in)sufficient.)
    Well said. It's true though, it's exactly like the Mesmer's current reputation, hardly anybody but the developers and perhaps the people playing the closed BETA know nothing about how it works. I am sure when the public BETA gets released, then there will be a lot of change in peoples opinions and choice. Maybe when people give the Engineer or the Thief a go then they will most likely change their opinions, but oddly it seems like the Adventurer professions are the most hated while the Scholar professions are the most praised currently.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  13. #13
    Field Marshal Charvie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Behind you...
    Posts
    64
    you people talk as if you are playing the game. Are you?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Charvie View Post
    you people talk as if you are playing the game. Are you?
    Well, think of it this way, if I were playing the game would I be asking this same exact question?
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    People are having an issue with the Thief's utility. They don't realise that a cross profession combo is more then putting down a patch of ice, it needs someone to send out ice projectiles, and that's the Thief's job.
    yeah I heard ppl going the thief doesn't have many utility and I always laugh at that, considering we probably don't even have the full list. It's like me saying the Mesmer won't be supportive because he doesn't have many support skills. I'd personally love to see a skill where the thief steals a potion and puts it in a guys pocket having it blowup Buffing it's allies and debuffing enemy, or on where you steal an item and end up placing a bomb in the targets pocket kind of like Fallout 3

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    I usually chalk class QQ up to people not knowing what they're doing. 99.9 percent of that time I'm correct in that assumption. Since GW2 is a completely new combat system I'm going out on the limb to say that's the case here as well.

    Also - Why is there any qq? Isn't there a NDA on the beta?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    Also - Why is there any qq? Isn't there a NDA on the beta?
    These complaints are based on the skill list that is available to us, the beta launched later.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    I don't see how we could say whether a class is broken or anything of the sort for a few reasons... 1) The games not even out 2) We don't even know that many of each profs moves, only what we've been shown in demo. 3) People are stupid and think eng are underpowered cause their new
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  19. #19
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    My post goes both ways. I should have been clearer. Saying a class is perfect or a class is flawed in some way is equally silly. We can only comment on the available info.

    In the case of the perceived Thief problem, the problem would be a lack of support-options. This might indeed be true, going over the skill list for Thieves they seem to have less options in that area available. However, they do provide a rather wide range of debuffs they can apply as well as a couple of ways to hamper movement in enemies and a area-wide stealth for his allies. People just see support too narrow. (Theoretically speaking. Only by playing can we see if the option available are (in)sufficient.)
    Exactly, that's why I said this. People tend to call something a problem while in theory it should be fine. Considering the Thief, this has been changed. No class is perfect, but if it's good enough people shouldn't complain.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    I'm also curious about how much overlap there is between people who want to play a thief-archetype and those that want to focus on support. Speaking generally, the draws of a thief-like character are mostly mobility and control (with stuns, debuffs, forced movement...) and in fiction the thief-persona is mostly a loner, or very combat oriented. So maybe it was a design choice to give a Thief slightly less support, and the support it does get, is more control-enabling. Pure speculation, of course.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •