Thread: CPU cooling

CPU cooling

I just recently upgraded my computer to:
    i7-960 3.2 ghz CPU
    MSI gtx 580 GPU
    12 gig of corsair vengeance memory
    I had a motherboard already, and it's Intel DX58SO.

The problem is my CPU temperature. The temperature on the cores even in idle are around 55 celsius. When I run games I can hear the fan going really fast, and the cores go up to 70-90c depending on which games I play. I have heard the i7 stock fan is horrible, so that's why I want to buy a new one.

I've looked at many heatsinks, and I've found out that Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus is really good. The problem is, it is also very large. I have room for it in my computer, but I am not sure if it's room for it on the motherboard.

The thing is, from what I have heard the fan is hard to fit, and since my ram has it's own heatsink, it makes them higher. There are 4 slots for memory on the motherboard, and I only use the 3. The Cooler master 212 might be so big that it will go over the ramslots.

If it doesn't fit, I'm thinking about the Corsair H60 CPU cooler(watercooling).

So I am asking you guys, will this heatsink fit in my system? Will it fit eventho I use the vengeance ram? Anyone with a similiar motherboard?

Please help me out, cheers!
    Last edited by Hampen; 2012-01-01 at 06:42 PM.

The Hyper 212 usually isn't a problem to fit inside the case, but if you're too worried the h60 is "ok" not the best but it's pretty good.

While there are better in the price range of the CM Hyper 212 plus, and them replacing it (soon?)

However, for your question regarding room near the motherboard, the only thing that could cause an issue is the gargantuan heatsinks on the Vengeance memories. Excepting that, you are in the clear, so to speak. And I do doubt that the memory will be in the way, as several people have used the combination on this forum. Motherboard wise it willnot be a problem.

The Corsair H60 is decent, but you won't get "true" watercooling performance out of it. On the upside is that it will be completely maintenance free.

Thanks for the replies guys.

TetrisGOAT, which other heatsinks would you reccomend instead of the CM Hyper 212 plus?

Quote Originally Posted by Hampen View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

TetrisGOAT, which other heatsinks would you reccomend instead of the CM Hyper 212 plus?
    I'm not saying the CM Hyper 212 plus is bad (It's very decent, and good support), but there are alternatives that at least more often is less pricey. Like the Xigmatek Gaia. However, quickly browsing over to Komplett.no found me none more effective and at the same time more inexpensive than the Hyper 212 plus, so it's a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm not saying the CM Hyper 212 plus is bad (It's very decent, and good support), but there are alternatives that at least more often is less pricey. Like the Xigmatek Gaia. However, quickly browsing over to Komplett.no found me none more effective and at the same time more inexpensive than the Hyper 212 plus, so it's a good buy.
    Okay, thanks! I think I'll just buy it and hope for the best!