Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Music] Why all the hate on nickelback?

lately heard about the petition against him for playing at some football stadion and i wonder where did all the hate come from? not like their music is so bad

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I hear from people and what I actually believe, their music is bland, generic, and all sounds the same. Nobody would care about them and wouldn't make a fuss if they didn't become popular for said generic bland music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I can see who votes against that, and I can ban. Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't quite understand where this bashing comes from either. Their music may be bland and generic, but it cannot be denied that they are a great band and Kroeger has one of the most amazing voices ever.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by The Fire Gives a Buff View Post
    From what I hear from people and what I actually believe, their music is bland, generic, and all sounds the same. Nobody would care about them and wouldn't make a fuss if they didn't become popular for said generic bland music.
    And what music isnt generic?. That people gotta get real, most of the music that you see on TV or hear on the radio is made to make money, heck you can say that about most of the music.

Inb4 HEAVY METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.

Deleted
    I don't really mind them, the same 'generic' music title can be said for Foo Fighters who have played the same sounding music for over 15 years.

Difference is that everyone loves Dave Grohl, and his music is actually good, if unoriginal.

15+ Year Old Account
    People like to complain about stuff that doesn't affect them. It's also one of those things where it's cool to dislike it. They jump on the bandwagon to make fun with out strong feelings either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're a decent band, but being the only time I've seen them at a live show, that performance they did in Detroit earlier this season was beyond horrible.

I never realized the hate was so strong for them, honestly, there is so much worse out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I never realized the hate was so strong for them, honestly, there is so much worse out there.
    It is, it seems like something "cool" that people do nowadays. Then again, it happens the same To Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber (not that I like them >.<)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it seems like they're trying too hard to be all of the "Rock and Roll" stereotypes. A lot of they're lyrics are about the standard rock cliches, and, to me a lot of their music sounds the same. I've watched a few live performances and...well they weren't exactly great live either. Sure, there are a lot of unoriginal bands out there, but none have had the success that these guys have had, and I personally don't think they deserve that success due to the aforementioned. Am I a fantastic musician? Hell no, not saying I could do any better, but I guess they're part of the reason I don't listen to the radio.

On a side not, that one song that goes something like "You look so much better with something in your mouth" just put it over the edge for me, I mean, most of their lyrics are just ridiculous and absurd, and sometimes I feel like they're just asking to be hated.

Also, Creed is worse (not by much, but they are)
    Last edited by jries; 2012-01-01 at 09:52 PM.

Add me on LoL: jries
    Add me on XBL: jries1

10+ Year Old Account
    Their music is so generic and almost all sounds the same. When how you remind me came out, most people actually liked the song but it just got old fast from there.

Love em or hate em, its hard to deny they found a recipe for success and have found a way to run with it.

Much of their stuff does sound the same, but they are talented obviously. It takes skill to play instruments, write your own songs and sing. That being said, they have a few catchy songs. It's certainly better than rap. That is not music.

You know that guy that you hate that acts like he has everything, is better than you, and tries to impress everyone all the time? Then he actually sucks, has nothing to show for it, and still acts the same way. He has that rich dad who gives him money all the time which fuels his self righteous attitude, but all he does is buy more and more polo's to wear all at the same time. Yeah that's nickleback.

They pick up hookers and then show you (and sing about) how nasty sex with them is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamma Ray View Post
    You know that guy that you hate that acts like he has everything, is better than you, and tries to impress everyone all the time? Then he actually sucks, has nothing to show for it, and still acts the same way. He has that rich dad who gives him money all the time which fuels his self righteous attitude, but all he does is buy more and more polo's to wear all at the same time. Yeah that's nickleback.

They pick up hookers and then show you (and sing about) how nasty sex with them is.
    Lmao, I wanted to say this but didn't know how to word it, thank you xD

Add me on LoL: jries
    Add me on XBL: jries1

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfried View Post
    And what music isnt generic?. That people gotta get real, most of the music that you see on TV or hear on the radio is made to make money, heck you can say that about most of the music.

Inb4 HEAVY METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.
    I'd beg to differ, regarding the "most" music. Yes, pop music, and terrible radio grade hip hop/rap are just awful. No one cares how much money you have, or that you have a $25,000 spinning rims on a 1.5 million dollar car.

There are alot of bands out there, that generally just enjoy people liking what they do. And most of those bands, regretfully don't get the attention deserved (with the exception of Radiohead, or Modest Mouse, to name a few.).

Take the entire post rock genre (Personal favorite). 99% of the bands, are on indie labels, or flying solo, yet it's some of the most beautiful, and moving music, i've heard with the exception of classical.

Bands like nickelback, ect, ruin for the actual musicians. It's disheartening when the youth of today, think songs, that essentially have been done already by previous artists, are "Edgy" and "cool".

In regards to rap on the radio as well.. Its some of the dumbest shit, I've ever had to endure. "Artists"* like lil' wayne, ect are just wretched and should have no place on the radio.. I prefer my hip hop, with more of an intellectual feel, and smart lyricism, that actually is relevant, and means something IE - Eyedea And Abilities, Sage Francis, etc.

Tl;DR - Almost everything played on the radio today is utter garbage.

*Artist, is used very, very, very loosely here.
    Last edited by Aesthetics; 2012-01-01 at 09:59 PM.
    The world is a deaf machine.

They follow the generic rock and roll cliche lyrics and every song by them sounds EXACTLY the same. They are a band everyone loves to hate though to be honest, they don't deserve all the bashing, but I can see WHY they got all the bashing in the first place.

They're the Kesha of rock music. Lame/unoriginal party songs and uninspired feed the world crap...they're the masters of writing simple songs for simple minds and it sells because that's what most pop music is.

I'm afraid i sounded too much like a hipster there =/
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2012-01-01 at 10:02 PM.

Deleted
    what I find amusing is that people are mixing up "I think their music is bad" with "I hate the group".
    all in all, they make music.
    I like a lot of it. a lot of it I don't even listen to.
    this goes for every single artist I've heard in my whole life.

all in all I have a friend who dislike their general image due to their lyrics being related around women, sex and drugs in a lot of cases, and I guess that could upset a conservative crowd just like Marilyn Manson does.

and to quote just him:
    "A lot of people don't want to make their own decisions. They're too scared. It's much easier to be told what to do."
    - Marilyn Manson

Music is an expression of emotion, not skill.

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    what I find amusing is that people are mixing up "I think their music is bad" with "I hate the group".
    all in all, they make music.
    I like a lot of it. a lot of it I don't even listen to.
    this goes for every single artist I've heard in my whole life.

all in all I have a friend who dislike their general image due to their lyrics being related around women, sex and drugs in a lot of cases, and I guess that could upset a conservative crowd just like Marilyn Manson does.

and to quote just him:
    "A lot of people don't want to make their own decisions. They're too scared. It's much easier to be told what to do."
    - Marilyn Manson
    women, sex and drugs sells. that's why media shoves it down our throats. that's why they're popular. disagreeing with it actually is for the most part thinking for yourself and not just accepting everything that is fed to you.

I personally don't like their music after listening to enough of it from the radio or friends playing an album of theirs in the car. Their style works for them but not for my particular tastes. Other bands have said everything they've said but better and with more musical talent.
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2012-01-01 at 10:11 PM.