Heroic Hagara - Focused Assault?

I've seen a lot of guides, read a lot from other players..but I've yet to see this cleared up.

Does Focused assault change from normal to heroic? I rarely ever take more than 10-15k damage from Focused Assault, but I hear from other players it outright kills tanks. Is it unavoidable now? Can you not out range it?

On Heroic, Hagara runs while doing Focused Assault, so you cannot simply move out of distance like on normal. You can ping pong her by having a ranged player taunt and the tank taunt back. If your tank is a warrior, you could probably Heroic Leap or Intervene to kite.

Taunt has diminishing returns after the fifth taunt. This isn't an issue when Hagara only does two Focused Assaults (requiring four taunts total if you're using the ping ponging tactic), but does come into play if a phase has enough time for her to do three Focused Assaults. Our group handles this by the tank using heavy mitigation cooldowns when players are tombed to manually survive the assault.
    Last edited by Ido; 2012-01-01 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ido View Post
    On Heroic, Hagara runs while doing Focused Assault, so you cannot simply move out of distance like on normal. You can ping pong her by having a ranged player taunt and the tank taunt back. If your tank is a warrior, you could probably Heroic Leap or Intervene to kite.

Taunt has diminishing returns after the fifth taunt. This isn't an issue when Hagara only does two Focused Assaults (requiring four taunts total if you're using the ping ponging tactic), but does come into play if a phase has enough time for her to do three Focused Assaults. Our group handles this by the tank using heavy mitigation cooldowns when players are tombed to manually survive the assault.
    Ahh. I imagine we'll handle this by just Distracting shotting her then. As long as fixates work, should make it easy. Thank you kindly.

DK can tank it without taunts. Warriors and Paladins can't without cooldowns, not sure about druids.

As Ido said the 3rd assault will go taunt immune when you try and taunt back. If our holy pally gets tombed, I blow cd on the 2nd one and it doesn't matter. Otherwise he just BOP/Shields himself and it comes back. Only thing is you need to build the 10% threat back, otherwise it is possible when his shield wears off it will go back for the healer and kill him if the phase change is a bit slow.

---------- Post added 2012-01-01 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Ahh. I imagine we'll handle this by just Distracting shotting her then. As long as fixates work, should make it easy. Thank you kindly.
    Our hunter said she is immune to distracting shot, just fyi.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Gp4-8jXXc
    Not my guild, but shows some excellent ways of handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Distracting shot hasn't worked on bosses for at least as long as cataclysm has been out, possibly even longer.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa View Post
    Distracting shot hasn't worked on bosses for at least as long as cataclysm has been out, possibly even longer.
    Is this correct? we're supposed to start working the boss on tuesday, and that was our initial strat

Quote Originally Posted by morphling8 View Post
    DK can tank it without taunts. Warriors and Paladins can't without cooldowns, not sure about druids.

As Ido said the 3rd assault will go taunt immune when you try and taunt back. If our holy pally gets tombed, I blow cd on the 2nd one and it doesn't matter. Otherwise he just BOP/Shields himself and it comes back. Only thing is you need to build the 10% threat back, otherwise it is possible when his shield wears off it will go back for the healer and kill him if the phase change is a bit slow.

---------- Post added 2012-01-01 at 01:54 PM ----------

Our hunter said she is immune to distracting shot, just fyi.
    I tank it as a druid with a warrior as back up. I can usually take it without CDS but cycle them with out side CDS using them when i can. Our warrior tank stands back a little and taunts if i don't have a cd up and it looks like i might die.

Well at least on all other raid bosses since halfus heroic came out distracting doesn't work.

100% confirmed Distracting shot does not work on Hagara.

Deleted
    Erm if your tanks are dieing to this then i don't think your geared or you have bad healers/ tanks lol im a paladin tank and you shouldn't have any problem with this... i wouldn't advise doing the ping pong taunt thing coz it just means melee dps have to run about and its wasted dps, all your healers have to do is be prepared/ use somthing like pain supression etc/ or just use a tank CD or trinket etc its not that much damage to heal throug with decent healers

Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa View Post
    Works on most 5-man bosses. Never had a reason to attempt it on raid bosses until now. :x

Well, I am our tank, and a dk. Might just eat them.

Our holy paladin taunts at range using a /target [@tank's name] Righteous Defense macro, which has a 10 yard reach advantage over Hand of Reckoning. We use a weakaura to notice as soon as Focused Assault happens.

Also, we instruct our two melee DPS to not follow Hagara when she is being ping ponged, in case the melee are fixated by Ice Lances. They simply stand and wait until Hagara comes back to her original position. Them moving causes more chaos in blocking the ice lances than we like. Ignore this advice if you're hitting enrage and need the extra DPS uptime on her.
    Last edited by Ido; 2012-01-01 at 10:58 PM.

Our holy paladin just taunts them, and the tank taunts back. Every third or so she is taunt immune (it usually lines up with ice blocks for us) so the tank just CDs that one. Easy breezy. Paladin tanks can also bubble and Hagara will run to the holy paladin, then run back when bubble is cancelled, in lieu of a taunt during a taunt immune round (assuming the holy paladin is second in threat, which they should be with all the taunting).

If you have a priest you could also have him stand back and grip you away for one assault?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    If you have a priest you could also have him stand back and grip you away for one assault?
    Yeah, that should work.

why not just cd it...? there isnt any other ability she cast that would require you to safe it...

Accession 8/8 US 5th, world 22nd (25man) recruiting for all classes for MoP!!

Deleted
    We have our tank (warrior) leaping away on the first FA, then charging icetombs / interveneing a ranged player on second FA.
    The dps requirements in the fight isn't tight enough to make the temoprary dps-loss and issue (for melee following the boss to the new position).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kpowell03 View Post
    Is this correct? we're supposed to start working the boss on tuesday, and that was our initial strat
    people were kiting heroic baleroc back when it came out to cheese decimation blade with distracting shot.

I the holy paladin threw hagara on my focus and made a focus taunt macro. I'd always be behind hagara when she did FA I'd taunt and run then tank would taunt back. You don't start facing taunt DR until the 2nd and 3rd phases. For the first DR i would bubble after i taunted. The 2nd the prot paladin would Hand of protection me. it worked out fine.