Thread: [TV] Sherlock

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pretty dissappointing episode I felt. No I take that back basically a complete dissappointment.

The case itself was interesting and the reveal was fine IF the episode had only been about the case. The time jumping didn't work, injecting moriaty in didn't work, and the reveal of the murderer felt off and way too preachy, espicaily since this was all in Sherlocks head. I don't see a scenario where the present day sherlock would come to that conclusion or think a version of himself would give that speech, it just doesn't fit him.

If it had all been set in the 1800s and moriarty wasn't involved and the women revealed themselves as the murderers and someone else gave that speech or parts of it, it would have been another great episode. But as is, I can't claim it is anything but bad in my eyes. Revealing Moriaty to be alive, then explaining he isn't (Which I am not even sold on) in this time jumping psuedo mystery was quite possibly the worst way to go about doing things. A show that has had 9 absolutely fantastic, firing on all cylinder episodes in a row (IMO) to put out whatever you call this is prepostorous.

I liked the callbacks, but considering you are calling back to things at most 9 episodes ago isn't that big of a deal and at a certain point it simply seemed to become an episode devoted to fanservicing some subsection of their fanbase. If they wanted to make a connecting episode between seasons 3 and 4, don't do this. It could have been great, it honestly should've, with the interesting setup and the beautiful scenery. The acting was fine, but the writing killed whatever momentum the epsiode had going for it everytime it gained some and then threw a curveball that was utterly pointless.

I'd have been happier with a simple "this is a Sherlock episode set in the late 19th century" too, if I'm honest. The mystery had enough substance to be a stand-alone episode. But Steven Moffat had to be Steven Moffat and introduce time-travelling.

It would have been better to split it up, in my opinion.
    The Abominable Bride
    The Return of Moriarty

I have no idea how they are going to remove the collective memories of Moriarty. That, essentially, is what Moffat says is keeping Moriarty alive. Although what Moriarty did to command such a fear in the Moffat Sherlock universe is a bit of a mystery to me. Simply following show-canon, Moriarty did bugger all other than try to get Sherlock to commit suicide to avoid his companions being murdered (in the books he led a crime syndicate). Why is show-Moriarty such a big deal to the population when all he (in their eyes) did, was discredit Sherlock (and he lost in the end anyway)?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'd have been happier with a simple "this is a Sherlock episode set in the late 19th century" too, if I'm honest. The mystery had enough substance to be a stand-alone episode. But Steven Moffat had to be Steven Moffat and introduce time-travelling.
    We're we watching the same show? There was no time travel, it was a drug induced hallucination Sherlock likes to call the Mind Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    We're we watching the same show? There was no time travel, it was a drug induced hallucination Sherlock likes to call the Mind Palace.
    OK, maybe time-travel was the wrong term. But the rapid switches between eras didn't "help" the story. They could have left it in the 19th century, still had the Moriarty bits in the office and at the Reichenbach Falls, and then Sherlock wakes up in the airplane at the end of the episode with everybody staring at him and he has a "moment of genius" about what Moriarty had done in the modern day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    Man, after season 2 this show has become quite the disaster. I'm so upset... this was one of the greatest shows ever in my opinion, but now...
    Plot got a little too bizarre at points, but the character interaction is still good enough to keep me watching!

Deleted
    1.06 , Moriarty? Can it be? Mrs Hudson isn't taking crap from anyone. Can't wait!

Deleted
    Once more, the game is on !

What a start to the new series.
    Last edited by mmoca1dceb134b; 2017-01-02 at 05:14 PM.

Yes, last night, PBS.

The last episode (airing 15th January) have the quite unsubtle title of The Final Problem....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Yes, last night, PBS.

The last episode (airing 15th January) have the quite unsubtle title of The Final Problem....
    Yeah, it's a bit much... but then again, 203 was called "His Last Vow" I think Moffat is just a bit Over-dramatic XD

Also, worth noting: Six Thatchers? Written by Gatiss and directed by Telalay. Awesome combo.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    its an ORIGINAL doyle title and has nothing to do if there will be more sherlock or not....

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    its an ORIGINAL doyle title and has nothing to do if there will be more sherlock or not....
    Yeah, I know, but The Final Problem is the one with a certain waterfall...

Yeah, I know, but The Final Problem is the one with a certain waterfall...
    Yeah, but there was already an episode called The Reichenbach Fall in the second season. Not to mention that villain is also out of the way.

And if you know Doyle, you know that The Final Problem, well, wasn't the final problem.

Edit: Ironically, His Last Bow, from which last season's finale His Last Vow was taken, was the actual final Sherlock Holmes story.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2017-01-02 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who hated the premiere episode? Seemed a lot of contrived rubbish there at the end, and I had to suffer through maybe the worst fight scene ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    and I had to suffer through maybe the worst fight scene ever.
    That you have my agreement on... I have NO fucking idea what they were thinking with that! Easily the worst fight I've ever seen on television and I used to watch Xena.

In a world that is capable of putting together fight scenes like we've seen in stuff like Into The Badlands, there really is no excuse for such awful fight choreography.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Am I the only one who hated the premiere episode? Seemed a lot of contrived rubbish there at the end, and I had to suffer through maybe the worst fight scene ever.
    Yep, not a fan of this start. First off he happened on to the whole issue through such a random thing its silly. A missing/broken bust at a crime scene fed to him by Lestrade, leads to the assassin squad that Mary was formally the head of, sillyness I say.

Then just the over all bummer that is the Mary John the Baby thing. I hate babies in shows, they just muck up the works. And john being all pissy at Sherlock, didnt we already have that bit last season?

Overall was not blown away by this premier, hoping they do better.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The end was just bad. I didn't mind the death, honestly always found it hard to buy that character, but the way they went about it was silly. None of those people in the room had a gun? And oh good, John is mad at Sherlock again.

Also, I'll wait to pass judgment until we see what exactly happened, but they may be ruining John's character for me.
    "Join S.H.I.E.L.D. Travel to exotic distant lands. Meet exciting unusual people... and kill them."
    -Hunter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Did not like this episode. "Oh! Moriarty! Wait...wait no. Just Mary. Again"

I liked the Mary development in the first couple episodes, but now it seems overdone. Almost copout status. I thought the USB in the fire was a fitting end, now it's "super secret agent mary back again! Now with a baby!"

Boring distraction imo. So now we've got a baby and some unnecessary rivalry between Watson and Sherlock
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Actually, Mary dying is quite logical. Mary did everything Watson did, but better. Why would Sherlock, not exactly the most tactful person ever, take Watson instead of Mary ?

(Not to mention that in all iterations of Sherlock Holmes, let's be blunt, Watson getting married was, like Hasting getting married, a way to essentially remind the reader from time to time that, ah ah ah, ''Watson/Hasting have a wife, despite essentially living in with another guy...'')