Poll: If scientists made a pill that made sleep unnecessary for life, would you take it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Most certainly I would not take it.

Sleeping is freedom in your mind. For example in my case, I use it as entertainment. It is a way to pass time and with a little practice you can do things in your dreams that are impossible in reality. How sad would it be to have your sleep gone and being unable to experience your imagination and dreams. Whole thought horrifies me...

Deleted
    Basically "double" my life-span? Yes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep
    You have to train yourself to actually sleep like this, which may take a few weeks, but the current 6-8 hours of sleep a night is extremely inefficient and these dwarf that in efficiency and usefulness. You can get more done in a day with these because you can knock sleep for only 2 hours total a day and feel better than you would otherwise.

Sooo, 8 hours of sleep, but spread out? That is what the US Military guy noted.

Edit: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm

I like the biphasic one.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-01-02 at 07:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Sleeping is freedom in your mind. For example in my case, I use it as entertainment. It is a way to pass time and with a little practice you can do things in your dreams that are impossible in reality. How sad would it be to have your sleep gone and being unable to experience your imagination and dreams. Whole thought horrifies me...
    Yep.
    Therefore, I'd be much more temped to take a pill which would let me do the exact opposite: dream for weeks/moths without waking up inbetween.

no cause it might stop the physical need for sleep, maybe even the mental need for it. but the you'd be obligated to work longer hours at work cause they know you dont need to go home and sleep anymore

No sleep, no catch? Of course.

no, i wouldnt take it. Im sure that if i did i would go insane
    게임 은 어렵~~

I'm already plagued with insomnia but god damn do I love sleep. I would not take such a pill. I need to be able to dream.

I friggen love sleeping! why would I ever give it up?

Deleted
    No, because of multiple things:
    -I like dreams, I dream a lot and my dreams actually sometimes help in real life with real problems, as in my brain works better finding solutions since my other parts of the body are in stand-by mode
    -my bed is huge... if I wouldn't sleep, I couldn't keep such a huge piece of furniture just for sex and then if I don't keep it, how would I cuddle with my beloved somewhere and stuff like that
    -besides the fact that the body has to renew itself during sleep, it also does other things, like repair tissues faster, prepare certain organs for full functioning again, think of it as a routine check once in a while in a giant industrial plant, things work without it, but the chances of something going haywire is larger

Deleted
    Why wouldn't I? Sleep is useless "downtime" for the body and mainly, the brain. If that can be removed due to a pill(which I doubt), then I would welcome this. Would make our lives just that large bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Sooo, 8 hours of sleep, but spread out? That is what the US Military guy noted.

Edit: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm

I like the biphasic one.
    Well, there's some where you only sleep 2 hours a day. And you're well rested enough to go through the full day with no problems. Some naysayers are out there, but when there are people who do it with no problem... Well, you can't beat it!

Edit: I guess it doesn't help that most people do monophasic sleep wrong. You're supposed to sleep for 8 hours, but there's also a "twilight hour" where you're awake for about an hour in between the sleep sessions. It provides a more restful sleep than sleeping 8 hours straight. So you should really set apart 9-10 hours to sleep rather than just "go to sleep at 12, wake up at 8" type deal.
    Last edited by Demonakat; 2012-01-02 at 08:53 PM.

I would if it was something you could take when you didn't want to sleep, instead of a permanent fix.

While being awake gets a lot of work done, and I often work 18 hour days, being in bed does often bring, benefits when you have a girlfriend ; )

No, then I'd go around being bored all nights

10+ Year Old Account
    ill drive my self insane! hell no. sleep prevents insanity

that would be a lonely ass 8 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    assuming the pill didn't cost a crap ton I would sign up in a heartbeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I vote no. Sleep is good. And I don't know what kind of life you lead to have things to do constantly every hour every minute. Instead of being that type of person, I'd rather strive for things getting done as I am sleeping. Kind of like any of the wealthy people, their money continues to grow as they are sleeping lol.

Yes, I would take it. I do not like sleeping, it makes me feel like I'm wasting time. (The exception being if I get to cuddle with my girlfriend while sleeping)
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

15+ Year Old Account
    No, I wouldn't take it. And I have got a sleeping disorder a bit like narcolepsy so you could say that pill would have eliminated my disorder.

Sleep is good if you do it correctly. I have had to learn that the hard way through my disorder.

There are also some bad things that comes with no sleep. We would probably have been forced to work a lot more than we already do. There is also the issue of boredom, waitingtimes etc. I mean, it's nice sleeping through some of the waitingtime we have to go through in life. Like sitting on the train, a plane over the atlantic ocean etc. You get the drill. Sleep comes in handy if you know how to cherish it.

The feeling of finally getting to sleep when you are really tired and have a healthy view on sleep... oh my, it's like a different kind of orgasm(however weird that sounds). Wouldn't be without it.

It can also be a nice way to escape pshycological problems, it gives you a break in your everyday life. That isn't the case for everyone that has these kinds of problems, but for many it is.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2012-01-02 at 09:13 PM.