Upgrading laptops graphics

I currently have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series in right now with only 256 mb memory and I wanted to know if I could upgrade to something like 500 mb or preferably 1gb. I've heard that some models of notebooks can't be upgraded, I'm running an acer aspire 5552 but I'm a little confused on how I could go about upgrading the graphics to run swtor better. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    welcome to laptops.

precisely why i dont own one.
    as chaud said, youre out of luck.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Can't be done.
    Thanks for the detailed information, honestly I'm disappointed you even wrote that.

OP; Laptops are very complicated, most cases impossible to upgrade anything except the RAM & battery etc... It's very hard to change most components of a laptop.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Also on a card as weak as an HD4200 no amount of VRAM will make it any better, I believe it's an integrated card with the primary focus of accelerating video decoding so your CPU (that uses a lot more power to do the same thing) isn't relied on as much. If you want to find a decent card then you need to see how it actually performs in real video game benchmarks because the specifications (especially RAM) will give you near zero insight into what kind of performance you're going to get with it.

if I upgrade my 4gb ram to 8gb will it do anything?

Deleted
    The problem about upgrading a laptop is that the case is build around the hardware in most cases. So replacing anything in a laptop may and may not work. Furthermore you need to make sure that the other components are compatible and that your battery/power supply can actually handle the new part. I would not suggest going that far as upgrading a laptop in 70% of the cases is more expensive than buying a new one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by J awk View Post
    if I upgrade my 4gb ram to 8gb will it do anything?
    Again, highly unlikely. RAM is just very fast temporary storage, and is not the bottleneck in your performance. Your graphics card simply cannot process the information quick enough to provide high fps.