15+ Year Old Account

What do you think of the required visual tags from character creation?

To sum up real quick, when you make your character in GW2 you answer a question about what type of person you are in regards to your profession.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography

Guardians choose a symbol of their dedication.
    Warriors choose a type of helm.
    Engineers choose a favorite tool.
    Rangers choose their starter pet.
    Thieves choose a mask that suits their style.
    Elementalists choose an element they are most in tune with.
    Mesmers (my guess) will choose their style of mask. Considering the Mesmer mask it quite iconic I feel it would be odd to be something else.
    Necromancers mark their faces with their closest companion of death.

Most if not all of these choices will be very visual and I am not sure you can turn any of them off. I am not sure frankly if you should be able to turn them off, though it is pretty standard practice to have helm graphics be an option. But seeing as Theives and Warriors at the least have that as their visual mark, having that being able to just be turned off seems odd, especially considering if you choose Necro the choice is a very striking tatoo that covers your entire face.

I am curious as to what they all look like. I plan on going Visionary Scarf with the Guardian, but as far as I know there is no footage of the Guardians marks yet. It would probably be a bit overboard, but I keep thinking it should be a shinobi like scarf. Long and trailing. I think it would be epic. >_>

Still, what do you think about having a required mark? Great for story telling and to tell everyone you meet what type of person you are in your profession or do you think it should be a toggle in the ui because it can be a distracting visual que? As I said, not sure myself, but some of the Necromancer tatoos are VERY vivid so I think that might scare people off. It might be a draw to others. I am really not sure.

Also, if anyone has screens or vids of these marks in game I would love to seem them.
    Last edited by Wrathonia; 2012-01-02 at 05:00 AM. Reason: English fail

10+ Year Old Account
    My Engineer gets what is more or less a swiss army knife, so I approve

Universal Multi-Tool - It's a screwdriver. It's a wrench. It's a lateral displacer! I don't care what you call it; this gadget is one thing I take everywhere with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    To sum up real quick, when you make your character in GW2 you answer a question about what type of person you are in regards to your profession.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography

Guardians choose a symbol of their dedication.
    Warriors choose a type of helm.
    Engineers choose a favorite tool.
    Rangers choose their starter pet.
    Thieves choose a mask that suits their style.
    Elementalists choose an element they are most in tune with.
    Mesmers (my guess) will choose their style of mask. Considering the Mesmer mask it quite iconic I feel it would be odd to be something else.
    Necromancers mark their faces with their closest companion of death.

Most if not all of these choices will be very visual and I am not sure you can turn any of them off. I am not sure frankly if you should be able to turn them off, though it is pretty standard practice to have helm graphics be an option. But seeing as Theives and Warriors at the least have that as their visual mark, having that being able to just be turned off seems odd, especially considering if you choose Necro the choice is a very striking tatoo that covers your entire face.

I am curious as to what they all look like. I plan on going Visionary Scarf with the Guardian, but as far as I know there is no footage of the Guardians marks yet. It would probably be a bit overboard, but I keep thinking it should be a shinobi like scarf. Long and trailing. I think it would be epic. >_>

Still, what do you think about having a required mark? Great for story telling and to tell everyone you meet what type of person you are in your profession or do you think it should be a toggle in the ui because it can be a distracting visual que? As I said, not sure myself, but some of the Necromancer tatoos are VERY vivid so I think that might scare people off. It might be a draw to others. I am really not sure.

Also, if anyone has screens or vids of these marks in game I would love to seem them.
    As someone who is going to play a guardian as well, and someone who also was thinking of the Visionary's Scarf as a choice, I approve.

As for how it will look, I don't know if you have read the Guild Wars 2 Novel, Edge of Destiny, but Logan Thackery, the Guardian member of Destiny's Edge, Also has a Visionary's Scarf. In the book it described him as having tied it around his arm. Now, Arena.Net has mentioned that the books follow the lore as closely as possible, so I think it is possible that this is how it would look. There still is a chance of it being used as an actual scarf, but I believe the way the book described it as the most likely choice.

That said, I am all for these marks. I don't believe there should be an off option for them, simply because it would break the lore of the game. I mean what is a necromancer without their tattoos? And Warriors, they choose their helmets, and one choice is no helmet at all... If the helmet is turned off, then what does your choice even matter?
    Last edited by Mylith; 2012-01-02 at 06:55 AM.

Deleted
    Isn't it just something like starter gear? Just some starter headgear and maybe something for your personal story. Doesn't Gw1 have something the same (elementalist starter 'eye' ?)

I like the idea of the Necromancer's marks. They might make my charr look even more evil. I think I'll choose the skull to make him seem like he respects the traditions of the necromancer.

If its something that sticks around with your character and is visable chances are they will have an option to change it although it may be through ingame store. About the only thing you couldnt change through a recustomization in GW1 was your name and main profession. I doubt they'd lock you into always haveing to display a grapic you picked randomly at character creation.

Who is John Galt?

I'd suspect that you'll probably be able to change it eventually through the store. As far as in game visuals, I honestly think there will be options to turn such things off/on. The majority of what we have seen is just outright gameplay, I would really like to see options pages, especially for such things as graphics/gameplay/keybinds/etc... I suspect I'll have to wait for a NDA lifted beta (or to get into beta myself) to find out for sure, but I would say, expect an option to allow disabling of things such as this.

Customisation seems to be a big aspect Anet are focusing on, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see many options available throughout the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Customisation seems to be a big aspect Anet are focusing on, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see many options available throughout the game.
    I'm not so sure. These things you choose are part of your character. Maybe a big part of your story as well. I don't think switching these specific options will be available at all.

Yeah...now I think about it some more I see your point more clearly. The choices and they're "mark" are integral to your character.

I don't have any concrete info about it though...and given how the personal story is quite important to Anet...I doubt you could change the visual mark without changing the choice, if you get me. I think they'd be against it being purely cosmetic at least...like a barber shop. That just doesn't seem to fit with their philosophy.
    I don't know if you can go back and change your choice.
    I have quite mixed feelings about it too. As a bit of a RPer; I would be reluctant. But, if I later became convinced I'd made the wrong choice, I'd like to be able to change it.
    Maybe this will be a feature of your personal dungeon we don't know about yet?