Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Guild Wars 2 and Roleplay

Hey I'm a roleplayer back on WoW and play Guild Wars on the sideline.

What I'm wondering is will it be possible/available/viable for roleplaying to happen in Guild Wars 2 in the same way it's done in WoW or will it be like in Guild Wars where you can play through a story; but roleplaying with others doesn't really happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post

What I'm wondering is will it be possible/available/viable for roleplaying to happen in Guild Wars 2 in the same way it's done in WoW or will it be like in Guild Wars where you can play through a story; but roleplaying with others doesn't really happen.
    You do realize that WoW wasn't even close to an RPG? At most it was an MMOG. Apparently you think role playing is with other people, but it's not. True "role-playing" would be like Guild Wars, because you have a story.

Tabletops and LARPing are usually with other people. As for roleplaying guilds did tend to make a storyline. True roleplaying is having a character where you have a story and act as the character would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post

You can RP however you want. The world is shared amongst all players, so you can easily group RP too.

Only caveat would be your personal story.
    Some RPers don't like personal story because they don't control the storyline and it more than likely won't match what they had in mind when they planned their character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You can RP however you want. The world is shared amongst all players, so you can easily group RP too.

Only caveat would be your personal story.
    Some RPers don't like personal story because they don't control the storyline and it more than likely won't match what they had in mind when they planned their character.
    Of course your personal story can be completely ignored. It isn't like it's staring you in the face at all times telling you who you are. If I understand properly, you should never even have to do anything with your personal story if you choose to do so.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Of course your personal story can be completely ignored. It isn't like it's staring you in the face at all times telling you who you are. If I understand properly, you should never even have to do anything with your personal story if you choose to do so.
    I think you gotta do like the VERY first part, but that's because it's tutorial, after that though i don't think you need to touch it if you don't want...

When i RP i like to take the story at hand and find how my character would fit in with it, for example, in wow the whole wrathgate thing my char helped make the plague and was on the higher ledges watching it be used, one thing i did always hate though was instances, you can't really say you were there if everyone else is cause they it goes from 5 man to small army lol
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Personal story dungeons, varied char creation/customisation and the dynamic nature of "questing" (DEs) should create a more viable RP experience. Not to mention the lack of the holy trinity that makes personal style and skill more important.
    It's one of the things I'm most excited about.

Some info on personal stories:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...tory-overview/
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/personal-stories/

Trinity and role freedom:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...633629#4633629
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...healing-death/

And you might find this interesting
    http://www.gwrpc.org/

Also...I spent a lot of time creating a RP experience in old RP games like Baldurs Gate and Elder Scrolls...it just feels like there's more to create a "real" personal story in GW2 that has real ramifications in-game, rather than something I make up in my head.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-01-03 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post

When i RP i like to take the story at hand and find how my character would fit in with it
    Same here I use the background the game gives me to rp my character and love the idea of personal story + the morality (charm,dignity, ferocity system), the only thing I dislike is if the game tells me I have siblings (couldn't get into dragon age 2 because of they gave me a sister), I don't or something about my parents (that's why circus background is the only one for my human character :P). So yeah I can understand the fears of some RPers.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craind View Post
    You do realize that WoW wasn't even close to an RPG? At most it was an MMOG. Apparently you think role playing is with other people, but it's not. True "role-playing" would be like Guild Wars, because you have a story.
    I smell troll...

I burn with fire! /flamethrower

But yeah, you could probably even RP during WvWvW, depending on what you like in your RP stories. Me personally, I love all the options we get now, from our personal story to little details like the color of an item we're wearing. And Dynamic Events make me feel like it's going to be close to a D&D situation, especially since there's no real tanks or heals.

...now you all got me excited again! D:

here a little list:
    Quote Originally Posted by Faowri (GW2Guru)
    Features we already have:
    • Multi-guild membership - as far as I'm concerned this is a major plus point for the game and it definitely facilitates RP. Now we can be part of multiple RP groups as well as belonging to non-RP guilds for the times we just want to play the game normally. It's a win-win!
    • Ability to move between servers - although the method for this hasn't been clarified yet, the ability to move between servers with relative ease may help if the community designates an 'unofficial' roleplay server.
    • Advanced character customisation - it's not finished yet, but it's looking like we'll have a lot of options for customing our characters to look exactly like the RP characters stored in our heads The devs have also been listening to and considering suggestions such as the ability to choose eye colour separately from the face presets.
    • The living, breathing world - between night/day progression, dynamic events constantly changing the maps and the expansive persistence of the world, Tyria is looking like a brilliant starting point for spontaneous as well as pre-planned RP.
    • Socially-designed cities - with stages, gathering areas, taverns, marketplaces etc. offer a variety of environments which can inspire roleplay.
    • Walking - which has been promised pretty much based on the requests of roleplayers.
    • Player housing - which is scheduled to be implemented post-release.
    • Town clothes - perfect for non-combat, casual roleplay.
    thanks Faowri, for this list
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/facilitating-roleplay-in-gw2-feature-t21618.html

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-03 at 10:53 AM.

Player housing? That'd be awesome. Lineage 2 (even if that wasn't RP) had clan houses aswell and it was fun to have your own place at w/e city you wanted.

Still I'd like to know what you can do with your house, if you can decorate it with rare drops, or maybe you can put in stuffed animals.

If so, I'm going to fill it with stuffed Asura's... damned little creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    If so, I'm going to fill it with stuffed Asura's... damned little creatures.
    Me and Mif shall find you...and carve beautiful, haunting sounding flutes from your bones for our children.

Deleted
    When i read the tittle of this thread, I could not help but think it would be fun to see a RP wedding in a village ruined by a random Dynamic Event

I Hope there are some safe spots !

Quote Originally Posted by Noxwell View Post
    When i read the tittle of this thread, I could not help but think it would be fun to see a RP wedding in a village ruined by a random Dynamic Event

I Hope there are some safe spots !
    Will you Sir. Herpderp, take Miss. Derpiewerp as your lovely wife, till death... sudden Elite Event with some big ass dragon. Slaughtered the bride.

Groom; "Everything went better than expected"

I suppose the Dynamic events could help enhance roleplay as it adds an element of the unexpected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Me and Mif shall find you...and carve beautiful, haunting sounding flutes from your bones for our children.
    Can me and my illusions join in? I always loved a good beating!!

---------- Post added 2012-01-03 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Will you Sir. Herpderp, take Miss. Derpiewerp as your lovely wife, till death... sudden Elite Event with some big ass dragon. Slaughtered the bride.

Groom; "Everything went better than expected"
    +1 internets
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Can me and my illusions join in? I always loved a good beating!!
    Anyone under 4ft is welcome.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I sincerely hope there might even be servers dedicated to RP, just like with WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I sincerely hope there might even be servers dedicated to RP, just like with WoW.
    There won't be. They don't want to segregate the population and it doesn't really make sense seeing as roleplay servers in almost all other games can't even strictly enforce their own rules. Instead, they want to give roleplayers plenty of opportunity to roleplay normally.