Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't make this about Vs dude. That's what I'm getting at, and that's why there's so much arguing in this thread.
    Each and every one does their job to the T. Read my previous posts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You can't make this about Vs dude. That's what I'm getting at, and that's why there's so much arguing in this thread.
    It's not ALL opinion. There will be one that is just factually better than the other. I don't know anything about anti-virus' so I asked which one of those two is better. Sure it's opinion still, but one WILL be better in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it won't, you're starting to piss me off.
    You're going to get your thread locked. You're instigating an argument similar to AMD vs Intel, or ATI(AMD) vs Nvidia, etc. Everyone has their opinions. It doesn't deligitimize or legitimize any anti virus. No ONE is going to be better.

Trend Micro

Is and Anti Virus that costs about $100 NZD $78 USD available from any decent or major computer store
    Krakshot - MM Hunter
    Humiliation - Prot/Holy Paladin
    Purification - Disc/Holy Priest

Originally posted by someone or the other :
    Don't try and make sense of a game that sends you dragons in the mail

Deleted
    No it won't, you're starting to piss me off.
    You're going to get your thread locked. You're instigating an argument similar to AMD vs Intel, or ATI(AMD) vs Nvidia, etc. Everyone has their opinions. It doesn't deligitimize or legitimize any anti virus. No ONE is going to be better.
    I don't care if I'm pissing you off. You've been in this thread from the start and I don't even think I've noticed you. Your not that important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you should pay attention.
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Ccleaner
    Download and regularly run both of those.
    Regularly update your antivirus.
    Regularly update Windows 7.
    Be careful with what sites you go on. 9/10 times, people get viruses because they clicked on something they shouldn't have.
    As you can see, there's a lot of opinions surrounding antivirus. Everyone is going to argue that theirs is the best. I enjoy MSE simply for the simplicity of it. I've installed it, set a scheduled scan time, and I haven't heard from it since. No virus problems.

AdBlock and NoScript will be the two biggest deterrents to viruses.
    Daddy loves you all equally.
    Bottom line, pick a listed anti virus, use NoScript and AdBlock, and you'll have no issues.
    Meh, let's avoid derailing the thread.
    Before I'm proven anymore wrong.

BOTTOM LINE:
    1.) Pick an Antivirus
    2.) Install NoScript and AdBlock
    3.) ???
    4.) Profit
    If you're going to ask a question in our community, please feel free to actually read our responses.

You said yourself you don't know that much about Antiviruses. Just like with graphics cards and processors, THERE IS NO CLEAR WINNER. There is no factual winner. There is no decisive winner, as each shines in it's own respect.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-03 at 06:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use Avast and don't really have any complaints about it.

I'll probably switch to MSE when I reformat next just because it's free and I don't really need the real-time scanning.

That said, just pick an antivirus. If you dont like it no one is stopping you from switching.

If you want a free one they've been listed in this thread, there isn't much more discussion to be had
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I use Avast for virus and spyware
    and TuneUp Utilities wich is an automated version of cccleaner with much more funcionality

Deleted
    If you're going to ask a question in our community
    Oh, your the worst type of person. Never mind. I apologies if it will stop you speaking, I can't take much more of that line I am quoting.

Thanks everyone posting. Don't know why this thread is still going though...
    I'll stop bumping it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpy View Post
    Keylogger need admin password to work, so yeah it would be pretty hard to get in if a wild uac promt appears for password, you have no idea how computers work do you.
    Speaking of a person who has no idea how computers work...

Zero day vulnerability exploits are done exactly for that very reason, how to gain administrator/root access because of some bug in a program that runs at root level. That's also why hacking various phones and pads is called rooting, you're using something innocent like a web browser to give you unlimited access to whole system. Thinking that just having password on it does not protect your system from any competent hacking, just from social engineering that tries to trick you into installing something you dont want when UAC asks wether to do this or that.

As a real life example, some years ago windows had a bug in picture viewer. For simplicity's sake all pictures viewed in whole system is done by single program regardless of if it's nude jpg on browser window or "my computer" icon on desktop, and for various good reasons that said picture viewer runs at administrator level. Some smart people found out that if you maliciously break windows icon file you can use it for buffer underrun attack and the picture turns into executable code that is run at administrator access anywhere. You can put it into website, and a harmless-looking little smiley face icon on screen has already hacked into your computer with full admin rights just because it was opened in web browser. Without clicking or interacting with it in any way. That bug in windows icon viewing was used to install keyloggers and spambots to hundreds of thousands of computers, and just you having password on administrator account would not protect against it in any way.

Good AV programs are made to watch things like these... "why is that picture viewer installing something.. hmm...maybe better quarantine it and see if it's a virus..."
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Kaspersky is simply the best.
    Of course, there are hackers that specialize in making encryption tools that bypass Kaspersky, but these are paid and 99% of the "hacking" community doesn't have access to them.
    I say "hacking" because it's actually script kiddies.
    Edit:
    UAC is completely useless.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-01-04 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpy View Post
    Keylogger need admin password to work, so yeah it would be pretty hard to get in if a wild uac promt appears for password, you have no idea how computers work do you. Why linux is so safe? Because people don't use root account as normal users! So do i have limited account and i have my password protected admin, i also have password for normal user, so yeah, i'm pretty damn safe, unlike you admin flailing users who needs antiviruses and all the bloatware. You don't need a security guard you just can close door and lock it!
    Yeah see... Linux/Unix are as secure as they are because apps on non-root accounts don't require root privileges to access what they need to access (among a GREAT deal of other things).

Just because UAC -looks- like Linux, doesn't mean it's anything close to the same. It was a feel good band-aid on top of the NT kernel which still has as many holes in it as a piece of swiss cheese.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics