Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It's the comp/counter-comp meta game that you see in things like LoL/WoW arenas. Each team tries to out-comp the other so each player can play almost any class and will frequently change based on which team they are facing. Personally I hate the comp/counter-comp meta game, mainly because I hate all meta games.
    That doesn't seem fun to me, it just seems like "lets just counter comp this so it seems like were good" sort of thing.

    Oh yea girl I went thar /snap
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  2. #62
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That doesn't seem fun to me, it just seems like "lets just counter comp this so it seems like were good" sort of thing.

    Oh yea girl I went thar /snap
    The big bad thing about rock-paper-scissor balancing...

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Again, I'm not talking about casual PvP. In hardcore PvP, you make adjustments on the fly, as needed. Often between every match. "Talking before starting" will get your out of one reroll max, and usually not even that as in most cases, it's "okay, he logged on, let's go, who's inviting? Aw fuck, he needs to roll PvP char..."

    To casual PvP, this is more of a boon, as I stated above.
    I don't want to appear overly rude...but in this thread and above you sound like one of those people who spams "let's go. lets go" when they enter a dungeon. Bit leetist tbh...
    And yeah...I don't think there's much of a distinction between PVE and PVP toons in GW2 from what I've read. It would certainly be against their philosophy.

    And about path of least resistence and casual/hardcore...so Ensidia, paragon etc were testing themselves when they have exploited bugs to get world firsts?
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    And about path of least resistence and casual/hardcore...so Ensidia, paragon etc were testing themselves when they have exploited bugs to get world firsts?
    my thoughts exactly, that's not an accurate description between a hardcore and a casual player (which I believe is not that great a difference anyway at all.), From the basement dwelling elitist hardcore guy to the cry baby entailed casual they have just become a forum of inaccurate stereotypes today.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    And about path of least resistence and casual/hardcore...so Ensidia, paragon etc were testing themselves when they have exploited bugs to get world firsts?
    Top WoW guilds: "Okay, we're almost on top of Everest, but the path we took looks pretty harsh. There is a path that looks easier to traverse to the left of our planned route, let's take that".
    Casual playerbase: "Yeah, I can't be bothered to climb the local hill, I'll just take the paved road that goes around it."

    Both are taking path of least resistance. Of course, there are relative levels of resistance between the two as well, which make the argument silly.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Top WoW guilds: "Okay, we're almost on top of Everest, but the path we took looks pretty harsh. There is a path that looks easier to traverse to the left of our planned route, let's take that".
    Casual playerbase: "Yeah, I can't be bothered to climb the local hill, I'll just take the paved road that goes around it."

    Both are taking path of least resistance. Of course, there are relative levels of resistance between the two as well, which make the argument silly.
    those are just Straw man stereotypes of two vastly different player group, groups of which you don't personally know every member of, its like saying all gamers are out of shape man-children who live in their parents basement.

    Of course their is no clear definition for ether word, which makes your argument silly :P
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-05 at 06:00 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    those are just Straw man stereotypes of two vastly different player group, groups of which you don't personally know every member of, its like saying all gamers are out of shape man-children who live in their parents basement.

    Of course their is no clear definition for ether word, which makes your argument silly :P
    Correct, however if you paid attention you'd notice that I merely extrapolated from initial argument to show just how silly it was.

    And of course, both words have very specific definitions. Look them up in a dictionary. Not to mention that the difference between casual hikers and hardcore climbers is very well defined.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    And of course, both words have very specific definitions. Look them up in a dictionary. Not to mention that the difference between casual hikers and hardcore climbers is very well defined.
    Within the context of gaming their definition is pretty nebulous. It depends on who you're talking to. Like most gaming jargon, it's not very defined as much of it is still new, and some of it will always be subjective.

  9. #69
    It's the defining of casuals as "can't be bothered" that I think is unjustified, and this attitude you get from leetists that really bugs me.

    What about the people who would quite like to to hardcore content, but work incompatible working hours, look after kids etc?

    You just can't group a player base into 2 categories. Also, and where the arguemnt totally fails, is saying that hardcore raiders are good becuase they complete harcore raids; casuals are bad because they only do casual.
    This is what is known in logic terms as a circular argument.
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  10. #70
    Newest episode of Guildcast covered this subject: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/guid-wars2-no-endgame/

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Newest episode of Guildcast covered this subject: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/guid-wars2-no-endgame/
    nice ty for the link.
    found another one (be it a bit old) from tales of tyria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgwTQUBEXo
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

  12. #72
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Newest episode of Guildcast covered this subject: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/guid-wars2-no-endgame/
    Kinda surprised at how Rubi was a bit out of touch with some details on GW2. I know I absorb info on games I am interested in like a damn Shamwow, but isn't it her job to blog about GW and GW2? I would hope someone that is doing it for a living would be at least as up to date as a laymen like myself if not more so. But sadly, it's about the quality I expect from gamebreaker. I used to like them, but they are mostly informed, but not completely. Which confuses people a lot taking it all at face value as fact, which I don't like. I understand Gary can't know it all, but isn't that why each show has more specialized hosts that he plays off of? Shouldn't they be the ones to know what they are talking about?

    The one example I think of it maybe a bit meta, but it still kinda irked me that they didn't properly address it or find details for it. The armor and taking punishment view. Armor of course will play a role in damage absorbtion, but skills will play a bigger role. Not to mention dodging and healing. Two examples of durable clothies are the elementalist and necromancer. Normally pretty squishy. If the Ele goes earth attunement they can surround themselves with a shield of rocks greatly reducing damage for a time and then when that breaks down they can jump back, go water and heal up. Necro has the death shroud as a cooldown which increases damage reduction and necros have a ton of self healing anyway.

    But sadly they didn't elaborate on any of that at all. I know they aren't experts, but I shouldn't feel that I know more than they do when they are getting paid to talk about this stuff and I am stuck with a terrible job. >_<

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Kinda surprised at how Rubi was a bit out of touch with some details on GW2. I know I absorb info on games I am interested in like a damn Shamwow, but isn't it her job to blog about GW and GW2? I would hope someone that is doing it for a living would be at least as up to date as a laymen like myself if not more so. But sadly, it's about the quality I expect from gamebreaker. I used to like them, but they are mostly informed, but not completely. Which confuses people a lot taking it all at face value as fact, which I don't like. I understand Gary can't know it all, but isn't that why each show has more specialized hosts that he plays off of? Shouldn't they be the ones to know what they are talking about?

    The one example I think of it maybe a bit meta, but it still kinda irked me that they didn't properly address it or find details for it. The armor and taking punishment view. Armor of course will play a role in damage absorbtion, but skills will play a bigger role. Not to mention dodging and healing. Two examples of durable clothies are the elementalist and necromancer. Normally pretty squishy. If the Ele goes earth attunement they can surround themselves with a shield of rocks greatly reducing damage for a time and then when that breaks down they can jump back, go water and heal up. Necro has the death shroud as a cooldown which increases damage reduction and necros have a ton of self healing anyway.

    But sadly they didn't elaborate on any of that at all. I know they aren't experts, but I shouldn't feel that I know more than they do when they are getting paid to talk about this stuff and I am stuck with a terrible job. >_<
    Still listening to it but I cringed when they were discussing the holy trinity, but I believe I've made ppl cringe on half the stuff I've ever said so you know. :P

    Also I love the fact that someone finally credits Tabula Rasa for starting the whole DE thing, (stepping their toes in the water at least)
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-07 at 01:44 PM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Kinda surprised at how Rubi was a bit out of touch with some details on GW2. I know I absorb info on games I am interested in like a damn Shamwow, but isn't it her job to blog about GW and GW2? I would hope someone that is doing it for a living would be at least as up to date as a laymen like myself if not more so. But sadly, it's about the quality I expect from gamebreaker. I used to like them, but they are mostly informed, but not completely. Which confuses people a lot taking it all at face value as fact, which I don't like. I understand Gary can't know it all, but isn't that why each show has more specialized hosts that he plays off of? Shouldn't they be the ones to know what they are talking about?

    The one example I think of it maybe a bit meta, but it still kinda irked me that they didn't properly address it or find details for it. The armor and taking punishment view. Armor of course will play a role in damage absorbtion, but skills will play a bigger role. Not to mention dodging and healing. Two examples of durable clothies are the elementalist and necromancer. Normally pretty squishy. If the Ele goes earth attunement they can surround themselves with a shield of rocks greatly reducing damage for a time and then when that breaks down they can jump back, go water and heal up. Necro has the death shroud as a cooldown which increases damage reduction and necros have a ton of self healing anyway.

    But sadly they didn't elaborate on any of that at all. I know they aren't experts, but I shouldn't feel that I know more than they do when they are getting paid to talk about this stuff and I am stuck with a terrible job. >_<
    I'm listening to it as well and cringing when they said we know nothing about the cash shop and that is absolutely not true. We know the cash shop will be entirely cosmetic and NEVER give anyone an edge over anyone else. Also, the person who asked the question about the cash shop was referring to Transmutation Stones and not Energy potions, T-Stones are now sold on Karma vendors and not on the cash shop at all. She also messed up on the Story and Explorable mode dungeon explanation and COMPLETELY neglected the fact that there's at least 3 different paths to every dungeon with 8 dungeons total. I do agree that since it's her job she should know all public info on the game and it seems I know more and I get nothing out of it. Somewhat frustrating considering she's played it and ultimately seems to not have her facts straight nor cover some of the most important aspects of the questions she's being asked. The entire endgame answer was TINY compared to what I would have given.

    Blargh and once again she says you have 10 skills when this is incorrect. You have 5 per weapon which you can swap out while fighting at the press of a button and then the 5 heal/utility/elite skills that you can change out when out of combat and THEN they COMPLETELY NEGLECTED talking about how you obtain your 2nd bars 5 skills through skill challenges and that you can even change them out at all. Their answer as to what DEs are was fairly vague as well, they neglected to talk about chains and what that means. They neglected to mention if pirates take over a village, they don't just sit in the town, they'll move out and take over other towns, setup fortifications, and keep moving through the zone. I am pretty damn frustrated that they aren't up to date when THIS IS THEIR JOB. Uggggh.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-01-07 at 02:00 PM.

  15. #75
    wait wait wait, what's with this talk about there being no pvp only characters?
    I am quite sure there are pvp only characters...
    I remember totalhalibut (or whatever) making one at gamescon... need to rewatch that video
    I swear I am going to murder someone if they removed pvp only characters

    edit: found the video, fuck he said "we set it up a bit differently for pvp" might mean that the pvp only character creation was just for demo purposes
    fuuuuuuuu

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    wait wait wait, what's with this talk about there being no pvp only characters?
    I am quite sure there are pvp only characters...
    I remember totalhalibut (or whatever) making one at gamescon... need to rewatch that video
    I swear I am going to murder someone if they removed pvp only characters
    why do you need a PVP only character when your character is bumped to max lv with all ablites once you enter a pvp area? (not counting WvWvW)


    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    edit: found the video, fuck he said "we set it up a bit differently for pvp" might mean that the pvp only character creation was just for demo purposes
    fuuuuuuuu
    that was more or a demo character creator
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-07 at 02:20 PM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

  17. #77
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,691
    fascinating how speculation about gw2 is religiously positive and speculation about mop the exact opposite^^

    im currently thinking about buying gw2, but somehow im still not convinced that the lack of the trinity is gonna be a good thing, but im also not certain if its bad actually. there really are often those situations where you cant do your dungeon because theres no tanks and healers, or like you need certain classes to be ok and stuff. if this "inconvenience" really has been totally gotten rid of in gw2, then i really might go and pick it up.

    about the endgamestuff, im not so sure if its a good idea to do it from lvl 1 onward, because i could kinda figure that you already consider that stuff as "old" when you hit maxlvl and actually dont want to run it anymore. but maybe its dynamic enough to keep you enterntained? i dont know, and basically we all dont know yet. but right now in comparision it sounds like you do shadowfang at lvl 10 and then you can go and do shadowfang on maxlvl again! whew, didnt we all jump in excitement when blizzard anounced the revamping of those instances?
    just a thought..

    all you do here right now is quoting developer quotes and whatnot, just like youve been praising obama's "yes we can!" back in the days. i just hope there wont be any bad surprises on the road.
    Last edited by Ghul; 2012-01-07 at 02:26 PM.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    fascinating how speculation about gw2 is religiously positive and speculation about mop the exact opposite^^

    im currently thinking about buying gw2, but somehow im still not convinced that the lack of the trinity is gonna be a good thing, but im also not certain if its bad actually. there really are often those situations where you cant do your dungeon because theres no tanks and healers, or like you need certain classes to be ok and stuff. if this "inconvenience" really has been totally gotten rid of in gw2, then i really might go and pick it up.

    about the endgamestuff, im not so sure if its a good idea to do it from lvl 1 onward, because i could kinda figure that you already consider that stuff as "old" when you hit maxlvl and actually dont want to run it anymore. but maybe its dynamic enough to keep you enterntained? i dont know, and basically we all dont know yet. but right now in comparision it sounds like you do shadowfang at lvl 10 and then you can go and do shadowfang on maxlvl again! whew, didnt we all jump in excitement when blizzard anounced the revamping of those instances?
    just a thought..

    all you do here right now is quoting developer quotes and whatnot, just like youve been praising obama's "yes we can!" back in the days. i just hope there wont be any bad surprises on the road.
    Considering GW2 is at tradeshows big and small, played by thousands upon thousands of people, won award after award with best game of the show, not even just RPG or MMO but best game period, and has had a level of development transparency that is literally unrivaled in the gaming industry, no it isn't just developer quotes. They WANT people to see the game, they don't pick and choose what they show, but rather tell and show us everything as soon as it's ready, they encourage people to record footage for the world to see, they have confidence in their game and literally light up when they talk about it.

    It's not just a couple developers blowing smoke up our asses, people have experienced literally everything the game has to offer outside of WvWvW but that isn't finished yet. There's a big difference when most MMO devs don't let you see much of the game prior to open beta or even play the game long at tradeshows. At this point in development (4 years) other devs wouldn't even dream of changing features or class mechanics, yet ANet says this isn't good enough and will change anything to make it better, they don't settle for good enough. The game is polished to a blinding sheen and it just entered beta, the level of dedication this team has is astounding and really I can't tell you how important that is. This is it, this is the one we've been waiting for. This isn't blind faith, this is based on cold hard facts, real footage, and real testimonials that they have hit the ball out of the park.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-01-07 at 02:50 PM.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    fascinating how speculation about gw2 is religiously positive and speculation about mop the exact opposite^^
    ppl who are excited about MOP are playing WoW we GW2 fan's don't have that luxury :P,besides alot of ppl like to play the "hate on wow" game

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    im currently thinking about buying gw2, but somehow im still not convinced that the lack of the trinity is gonna be a good thing, but im also not certain if its bad actually. there really are often those situations where you cant do your dungeon because theres no tanks and healers, or like you need certain classes to be ok and stuff. if this "inconvenience" really has been totally gotten rid of in gw2, then i really might go and pick it up.
    Think of GW2 as an RPG version of gears of war 3


    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    about the endgamestuff, im not so sure if its a good idea to do it from lvl 1 onward, because i could kinda figure that you already consider that stuff as "old" when you hit maxlvl and actually dont want to run it anymore. but maybe its dynamic enough to keep you enterntained? i dont know, and basically we all dont know yet.
    In God of war you do the same thing from start to end and it's still an enjoyable experience. your gonna be entertained in GW2 the same way raids entertain you in wow by playing the different things dungeons (32 routes in total),pvp, DE's. The difference is GW2 isn't gonna change drastically at lv cap (raiding turns off quite a few players because it's kind of just pops up at lv cap)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    but right now in comparision it sounds like you do shadowfang at lvl 10 and then you can go and do shadowfang on maxlvl again! whew, didnt we all jump in excitement when blizzard anounced the revamping of those instances?
    just a thought..
    This is different then doing Dragon soul over and over again how....?
    It's more like scarlet monastery and the 4 different wings 8 dungeons x 4 wings = 32
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    all you do here right now is quoting developer quotes and whatnot. i just hope there wont be any bad surprises on the road.
    you prefer we make things up :?
    Quotes are posted up to add credibility to a post, many ppl are just "siting their work"
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-07 at 03:07 PM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

  20. #80
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,193
    @SPeedy26:

    My imposter? Well at least someone has good tastes!

    The worst thing or me is that I am waiting for MoP and GW2 to be released. I plan to play both, as GW2 interests me and all my friends and fiance are playing WoW. The fact that GW2 is free just saves me some money. Now I am just hoping that Diablo 3, GW2 and MoP aren't all released within a month window of each other. That would not be fun.
    WoW: Fiska 90 Holy Paladin (Mal'ganis)
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •