Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What PvE endgame content should be expected?

TLDR: What content involving groups taking on bosses and challenges together can I expect in GW2?

Hello there everyone, this is not a thread of complaining, but rather of questioning. I've been doing some research on Guild Wars 2 and so far am very excited to play it. The combat system is awesome and innovative, no subscription fees means I can play it casually without having to worry about wasting money every month, and the game is just downright beautiful. However, despite my extreme enthusiasm, I have developed a few minor concerns. I'd just like to ask if any of the community members happen to know the answers to these questions.

I am a co-operative gamer through and through. My favorite games are those in which I can team up with a group of friends to take down a big challenge. This is why I love MMO's so much - gathering together with a big ol' group of people and beating the crap out of massive bosses is an absolute blast, and it's just about what I live for in the genre. I also really enjoy dungeons, though not as much as big teams of people beating up bosses.

when I heard that no raids were going to be in GW2, I was a little worried. I understand that not all MMO's need raids to be fun/successful, but I'm beginning to worry that hacking and slashing my way through a massive dungeon with huge bosses in a large team of players is going to be only a dream and not a reality.

So, if there are no raids, what can I expect to occupy my endgame cooperative-PVE-loving time with?

Quote Originally Posted by Noemonad View Post
    So, if there are no raids, what can I expect to occupy my endgame cooperative-PVE-loving time with?
    5 man dungeons have 2 modes; story mode and exploration mode. In the latter players choose multiple paths through the dungeon which effects what happens. Furthermore, dynamic events can happen in the dungeons themselves. So a single dungeon might be like this 1-A, 2-A, 3-A, 1-B, 2-B, 3-B... etc.

Players scale to the relative level of DEs as well. Supposedly one could win a DE by simply out leveling it, so they theoretically always are challenging content. Elite DEs are large and complex affairs, supposedly. Seems they are more objective based at this point but require a large number of players working cooperatively in a DE to defeat.

The game proposes that there is not distinct change in activity between level 1 and 80. It's all "endgame" as they advertise ti.

Deleted
    ''Endgame'' starts as soon you make your character, all the fun will be when you level, and not only at level 80.

In other games, the leveling is just a long and boring tutorial, where as the highest level is where the 'endgame' starts. In Guild Wars, the leveling is the game itself, you don't need to go through all the stuff to reach 'endgame' the 'endgame' and the fun will start as soon you make your character.

There are still dungeons with 5 man parties you can do at 80 which are hard. Just because I say 5 man party don't think about WoWs boring 5 man heroics which you zergrush only. In Guild Wars 2, think of these 5 man as 25 man heroic hard instead or something.

This has been answered so many times already.. Read, read!

It's amazing how often this is asked, breaking people from this mindset seems extremely difficult. I get the feeling that GW2 is going to be too much to handle for some people. I could honestly make a 50+ point list on things they're doing/changing in the name of fun.

The thing is simply that for better or worse, Warcraft set the expectation and standard of the genre. Though in reality there are more MMOs unlike Warcraft, the sheer cultural importance of Blizzard's monolith casts a shadow on the genre as whole. I don't think those curious about GW2's endgame are in the wrong or "brainwashed" (as foolishly cited by forum white knights)- just people are highly familiar with an endgame of a certain stripe.

By being so different from Warcraft modeled MMOs and having as much hype behind it as GW2, Anet & players have to naturally expect explanation of the differences to be a long, ongoing discussion. Perhaps for the lifetime of the franchise.

Reading the same information still gets me bloody excited about the game

The whole game. It starts at level 1.

Really they should have just removed levels, would have made things a whole lot easier for people to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post

Really they should have just removed levels, would have made things a whole lot easier for people to understand.
    Or make them rage more!

Honestly, people that "buy it, don't get it, then leave" are supporting the game almost as much (at the onset anyway) as those of us who have gotten it all along, and will "buy it, get it, and love it for years", so I'm ok with both parties giving ANet their money to develop the next expansion of the world I will choose to live in.

That's the endgame, by the way: living in the world. As others have said, It does, indeed, start at level 1. Alone or with friends, this is how an MMO is (in ANet's vision) supposed to work... and I have to say I agree, and can't wait for this revolution... which is really just a return to basics.

The OP doesn't get it... yet. Whether they reach "enlightenment" or not, If they buy, I will thank them for their support, as I go on "getting it".

Take a look at the other threads, OP. This has been covered and covered again, and reading the existing threads will bring you closer to "getting it".
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Deleted
    Read the two dozen other threads for a more accurate description.

The content involving groups includes:
    Story and explorable mode dungeons
    Dynamic Events
    WvWvW PVP
    Hot Join PVP

Have a nice day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

The game proposes that there is not distinct change in activity between level 1 and 80. It's all "endgame" as they advertise ti.
    Wonder how that works with the first dungeon being level 35 and several being available at level 80 only. I think the whole "endgame starts at level 1" will only stay true to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Wonder how that works with the first dungeon being level 35 and several being available at level 80 only. I think the whole "endgame starts at level 1" will only stay true to some people.
    This is a valid point in one direction: Level 80's will be able to move "more freely", giving them access to everything in the game. It is true that level 80's will be able to do DE's (and dungeons) in areas that level 10's can't, but I severely doubt that the "rewards" from those DE's will give "better" rewards than the same level 80 character would get helping out in a level 10 area's DE (and thus sidekicked to somewhere at the high end of that area's spectrum).

So... the endgame is "access to more of the world to live in".

Loot consists of personalized drops and currency. This is all feasible in the "you'll get the same progression, at level 80, from the level 10 area as the level 80 area" ideology.

Live in the world. Level, and you live (safely) in more of the world. That's your endgame, if anything.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

TLDR:
    I am a co-operative gamer through and through. My favorite games are those in which I can team up with a group of friends to take down a big challenge. This is why I love MMO's so much - gathering together with a big ol' group of people and beating the crap out of massive bosses is an absolute blast, and it's just about what I live for in the genre. I also really enjoy dungeons, though not as much as big teams of people beating up bosses.
    Dynamic events and dungeons are both pve centered activity that encourage group work
    DE can go to over 100 ppl
    Dungeons are controlled 5 man experiences

when I heard that no raids were going to be in GW2, I was a little worried. I understand that not all MMO's need raids to be fun/successful, but I'm beginning to worry that hacking and slashing my way through a massive dungeon with huge bosses in a large team of players is going to be only a dream and not a reality.

If you want to fight bosses with a large group of players then Elite DE's are for you, large battles with the community working together to whole of some looming threat.

In GW2 The bosses raid you :P
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

I assume the best thing to correlate it with would be the Tiered endgame that BC had, before badge gear screwed everything up of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    I assume the best thing to correlate it with would be the Tiered endgame that BC had, before badge gear screwed everything up of course.
    Well, BC's endgame didn't start at level 1. My question isn't about the tiered system, but more towards the endgame starting at level 1, which seems to me that it doesn't. Not a problem for me, I don't mind having to level. Having this information I know that my endgame will start at level 35 and that is quite possible for many other people too.

My question isn't about the tiered system, but more towards the endgame starting at level 1, which seems to me that it doesn't.
    What they mean by that is that the game doesn't radically change when you hit level 80. You'll be doing basically the same activities you did while leveling up. It's all relevant content (since you can go to lower level zones to do events without facerolling them) so it's all "end game". Compare that to traditional games where once you hit level cap, all lower level content ceases to be relevant as it no longer poses any sort of challenge, and the fact that at level cap your primary activities primarily change. Instead of primarily questing with some dungeons from time to time you are now chain running dungeons and raiding (yes you are doing daily's but I don't count those as quests at all).

They originally intended to do just that, but said it would be too jarring for people so they put them in. They figured people wouldn't know what to do if they said the entire game is open to you, have at it. This can be seen in a sense with the Scout system, during playtesting they asked testers why they ran by an NPC who was flagging them down, they said "Because they didn't have an exclamation point above their head." So because of this they put in the Scout NPC to provide some form of guidance towards events for those who need it.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-01-04 at 03:14 AM.

He didn't ask about the whole game. He asked about a specific part of the game, and his question is just as justified as that of about competitive PvP for example. PvP may start at lvl1, but competitive PvP is a whole different beast.

Generalizing like this to justify a point undermines GW2's image very badly in the eyes of those you're trying to convince, as they will likely assume that it's just like many other games where "game starts at lvl1" because there is simply no end game content, and it must be justified somehow.