Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have all the grade 5 artifact upgrades/proton and it's fun every time I do it. I stopped doing the really low level ones though because I only get like 15 credits and 1 commendation but I do the top 4-5 quests. I really like it as a diversion from the norm. Considering that Ilum was a let down to me personally, it is probably the most fun daily in the game right now you can do by yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first time around, the missions were quite fun and interesting. Also doing them without upgrades makes it a whole less boring But now I just do the repetitive 'daily' quests for nearly-free XP and that's it. If there weren't daily's, I'd never touch space combat again.

I very much enjoy it, i try my best to do the 'newest' daily every day
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Multiplayer space missions would be really sweet and something I'd like to see in the future. Nevertheless, it is currently a blast and a very nice past-time.

The problem I have with space missions is, it does not fit all my characters. Two of them are more in your face type. So there needs to be ground missions that don't require killing elites, that are not only repeatable but just as accessible as the space missions. As in I click the item on the star map and go in.

Put them IN the ships involved... that way you can use the whole galaxy map system to get to them quickly. My trooper is much more likely willing to board that ship that play flyboy.

Let alone the lack of control makes me nauseated.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Space Combat is probably the most fun part of the game so far. I'm only level 18 right now, but as soon as I got to Space Combat I fell in love. So much fun! I think it is the one thing the sets TOR apart from WoW in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Let me start with:
    If you play a mmorpg and dont roleplay at all: You are doing it wrong.
    Let me start with:
    If you're telling people playing a game, not intruding on anyone else's experience and enjoying themselves, that they're doing something wrong, you're very, very likely doing it wrong yourself (the telling, not your own enjoying).

Now with that out of the way, no I don't really play Space Combat and yes, I do RP to a point (though only personally, not with other people). Problem is, I just don't find it very enjoyable and the fact is, it's a tacked on piece of the game that's been made very clear is optional. I'll probably get around to it at some point, but at the moment, I'm not ready to invest credits into equipping my ship to do something I'm not really into, particularly when I'm already ridiculously outleveling my quest zones (I'm a completionist, which doesn't really work as intended, even with pulling away from planets slightly early, everything still always green for me)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Let me start with:
    If you play a mmorpg and dont roleplay at all: You are doing it wrong.

A third of star wars universe is about space combat, flying ships on open space fighting against their enemies, with lasers and force shield, with the force guiding their reflexes.
    A third of your Star Wars is about space combat, for many of us it does not fit our characters at all. I had to come back and quote your first line because of its arrogance. Who is to say which characters fly in space combat and which do not? Let alone which ones would want to fight in these overly large ships to begin with. When viewing the movie series I don't seem to recall much combat taking place is ships as large as these save the Falcon and even that ship would feel smaller than these behemoths.

I want alternatives as I posted earlier as each character I have has a decided role to play in space combat that I chose. My choices might not be the same as others to include some never envisioning their characters fighting in space at all.

On a side point, its kind of hard to role play a character when they are fully scripted, it removes nearly all possibility of invoking your own personality. I get this creepy puppet syndrome with this game... the guiding hand of fate type thing
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    I really like some of the comments in this thread, most important those that complain about the inability to control where you fly etc. You do realise these are ... wait for it ... Bombing missions from WoW? You fly along a certain path hitting the targets along the way. In WoW, if you didn't get all the targets in one go, you did it again. Then you came back the next day and did it again. Shattered Sun offensive, Coliseum, Howling Fjords and many other places had them. Nobody complained, as they were just a way to get EXP or even worse, Reputation with some faction.

Now TOR dresses it up with limited control (enough to dodge rocks) options to gear up and get new toys, and a variety of different missions and people complain it's so 1-dimensional.

It's a daily quest, based around WoW's bombing runs. It isn't currently expected to be such a major experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side point, its kind of hard to role play a character when they are fully scripted, it removes nearly all possibility of invoking your own personality. I get this creepy puppet syndrome with this game... the guiding hand of fate type thing
    I see where this is coming from, but let me tell you one thing: You are not trying.
    Yes the dialogues are scripted, but a lot of those answers are actually surprising on how they fit my character (maybe thats just me), sometimes the way he answers doesnt please me, making me think "hey...i didnt mean it that way", but for the most part he sounds exactly how i would like him to, but using better words than i could come up with in my head (which shows that i need to read more).
    Thats the solo aspect of it. On the multiplayer aspect now.
    I made 2 or 3 friends in the game that i chat regularly, and even though most of our chats are about crew skills or grouping up for quests, its often that we discuss lore related topics (such as why that quest giver wants you to kill that other jedi), and when doing so i keep my character personality in mind when i speak, things he believe that are right or wrong. The use of the game emotes help with game immersion too.
    Like it or not, many people roleplay when playing their characters, they just dont follow any rules and will go out of character all the time. If you are choosing dark or light side based on "coolness" factor of it, you are already taking character-related decisions, cool looking clothes, the same.
    It goes out of character when you discuss item stats, game mechanics, or real life topics, but as long as you remain inside the character perspective, you are roleplaying.

As for playing or not the space missions, i never said anyone must play those when playing swtor, i said space combat is a big part of the star wars universe, the name itself says so, stars (space) wars (combat). There are just as many ship games as adventure games themed around star wars.
    And as someone else said, if they made space missions like some of the missions we had in rogue squadron (N64), they would be incredibly fun. Missions on the surface of planets, not only on outer space.

It's a daily quest, based around WoW's bombing runs. It isn't currently expected to be such a major experience.
    If anything, i would say its based on After Burner:
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2012-01-03 at 04:49 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I really like some of the comments in this thread, most important those that complain about the inability to control where you fly etc. You do realise these are ... wait for it ... Bombing missions from WoW? You fly along a certain path hitting the targets along the way. In WoW, if you didn't get all the targets in one go, you did it again. Then you came back the next day and did it again. Shattered Sun offensive, Coliseum, Howling Fjords and many other places had them. Nobody complained, as they were just a way to get EXP or even worse, Reputation with some faction.

Now TOR dresses it up with limited control (enough to dodge rocks) options to gear up and get new toys, and a variety of different missions and people complain it's so 1-dimensional.

To be fair, it is more closely similar to Kingdom Heart's GummiShip minigame. It is not close to WoW's bombing runs at ALL, you can't even compare the two.

Space Battles are immense fun for me, but I just wished there was more variety in objectives (ultimately I think there are 5 different types with rehashed maps). Multiplayer Space Combat sounds like it has potential, but I'd like to see user-created missions, or at least a new one every week/month, even if it is like a 1 minute short one, or maybe a time trial-score keeping mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW bombing missions...really? Space missions are about as far away as you can get from that. :P

I really enjoy them, and it was a blast to upgrade my ship with my fleet commendations and such. However, they need a bit more variety in the missions and you need different rewards. You should get daily commendations as well or something. I find myself doing them less and less because I just don't need fleet commendations anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    WoW bombing missions...really? Space missions are about as far away as you can get from that. :P

I really enjoy them, and it was a blast to upgrade my ship with my fleet commendations and such. However, they need a bit more variety in the missions and you need different rewards. You should get daily commendations as well or something. I find myself doing them less and less because I just don't need fleet commendations anymore.
    That's my point btw. People are expecting a whole lot more from what are, essentially, bombing missions. You are getting something that fills that role withing the game, does it better than in WoW, yet people are still complaining. I don't remember seeing posts on forums from people complaining of yet another bombing mission daily in the latest quest hub. And that's all this is. As you quest and level up, you are introduced to new bombing missions which you can repeat for credits and exp until you get to a higher level one!

If they are successful, then Bioware will improve on them, add more option (multiplayer wheee!) or if there's enough of an outcry for personal control of the ship, they might totally redesign the minigame.

I enjoy the space missions, but I really hope they put in some open space pve/pvp. Space battles was one of the things I loved about the movies. As for the RP thing, I've done it in the past before, but not anymore. But if you want to, go for it. Doesn't bother me one bit. But to tell people they're doing it wrong, that's more personal opinion than fact.

I did them to finish off levels before going to the next planet while leveling. I don't see myself doing them again unless it's for the same reason on an alt.

I don't really like them at all. Not a style of play I ever enjoyed- I don't like space games generally. Kinda annoying; I try/fail, try/fail, try/win. Try/fail.... ZZzzzZZz. So uninteresting. I don't like Starfox. ><

Some people love it, but yea. Not into those type of games personally.

I like the space combat. It reminds me of the Wing Commander series of games I played years ago. In fact the whole ship experience reminds me of WC:Privateer a lot. I loved that game back in the day...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a fun minigame to me. It feels like it has just the right amount of effort for me to put into it. I'm glad it's not a huge focal point, but a nice side "jaunt" of the game.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

I <3 them.

Nice break, gives xp/credits.

Starfox ftw.

Btw, if you hit spacebar during the missions, you will even do a barrel roll. FTMFW

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing i dislike, is how, if you remap your A and D keys to strafe left and right, you lose the left/right movement on the ship unless you use the arrow keys (which then, your hand will be far from spacebar), but you retain the up/down movement of the ship just fine.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.