Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord Gouca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    766

    1200€ Rig, all the parts should be top in price/performance?

    Building a new gaming rig for a friend of mine, she needs it ASAP and is unable to wait for Kernels. Do you find better price / performance rig in Europe?


  2. #2
    You should add some space on that SSD (64gb is really cheap =().
    Also add atleast 4 more gb of ram (for longevity); faster clocks (atm you're at 1333 and you could go for 1600, just remember to set it in the bios) and CL8 should also be considered. Remember to put 4gb ram blocks and not 4x2.

    You could save 40€~ getting an Antec case (Antec 200-300).
    Also 520Watts aren't a wise choice - yes the setup might run on them since it's a good brand, but you should atleast go for 600-650W for longevity (and you can without changing your price for much. Look for Corsair or Seasonic).

  3. #3
    I agree with Truecolor, for the most part:

    - A 64GB SSD is tiny, I recommend no smaller than ~120GB (I specifically recommend the 128GB Crucial M4).
    - 4GB may technically be sufficient, but that's the absolute lowest I would go, I recommend 8GB (which shouldn't cost much more).
    - 520W is a weird wattage, I would spring for at least 650W, I recommend Corsair PSUs.

    I disagree about the case though, while you may be able to shave a little bit off the price by switching to a different brand, Fractal Design makes (in my opinion) the best cases out there. I recently bought my own and helped my friend build a new PC in one, and both were the most pleasant builds I've ever worked on.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-01-03 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo

  4. #4
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,573
    That 520W with a GTX580 and i5-2500k (with OC) you set yourself up for failure, no offense. Get at least a Corsair 650W TX v2 or similar.

    Edit: I would stick with the Define case as well even if the rubber grommets might piss you off (if you're putting it together yourself).
    Last edited by Notarget; 2012-01-03 at 02:48 PM.

  5. #5
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,560
    Price/performance? Change to a 560Ti or 6950, way better price/performance ratio. Also, take 2x4GB RAM instead of 4x2GB.

  6. #6
    Dreadlord Gouca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    766
    Thanks alot, I will be keeping 580 but changed the RAMs as I had intended (Damn germanese sites).

    520W is far enough for OCd 580 + i5 2500k, the power consumption of 2500k @ 4.8 GHz, +20% GPU OC and other components has never exceeded 482W with my own rig which is similiar, yet I have more hard disks and dual medias.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s
    520W is far enough for OCd 580 + i5 2500k, the power consumption of 2500k @ 4.8 GHz, +20% GPU OC and other components has never exceeded 482W with my own rig which is similiar, yet I have more hard disks and dual medias.
    500W is sufficient indeed, but as I said before isn't that "not planning for the future"? Also called better safe than sorry, you won't shape the price a lot going for more horsepower. Corsair 650GS for example costs generally less than that one and depending on how far you can/want to shape the budget you can get better PSUs from Antec/Corsair/Seasonic.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord Gouca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Truecolor View Post
    500W is sufficient indeed, but as I said before isn't that "not planning for the future"? Also called better safe than sorry, you won't shape the price a lot going for more horsepower. Corsair 650GS for example costs generally less than that one and depending on how far you can/want to shape the budget you can get better PSUs from Antec/Corsair/Seasonic.
    I am planning for the future, it's a fact that power consumption will be lower in newer components, it will not go up.

    Obviously I could take Corsair's higher wattage PSUs, but I have a very good own experience with Antec's HCGs being extremely silent and reliable.

  9. #9
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    Thanks alot, I will be keeping 580 but changed the RAMs as I had intended (Damn germanese sites).

    520W is far enough for OCd 580 + i5 2500k, the power consumption of 2500k @ 4.8 GHz, +20% GPU OC and other components has never exceeded 482W with my own rig which is similiar, yet I have more hard disks and dual medias.
    I will still claim 480W for an OC'd 2500k and GTX580 is pushing the limit too close for comfort but it's your computer so do what you please

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Gouca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I will still claim 480W for an OC'd 2500k and GTX580 is pushing the limit too close for comfort but it's your computer so do what you please
    480W? The PSU gives out 520W

    If you mean the efficiency of 88%, you are doing wrong math.
    Efficiency means how much of the sucked power is turned into heat, not how much power it gives out.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I will still claim 480W for an OC'd 2500k and GTX580 is pushing the limit too close for comfort but it's your computer so do what you please
    I agree, I blew the PCI-E slots in my motherboard the first time I attempted to build a PC by not buying an adequate power supply. 520W is far too close to comfort.

  12. #12
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,573
    Code:
    System Type:	    1 physical CPU	
    Motherboard:		High End - Desktop	
    CPU Socket:		Socket LGA 1155	
    CPU:		Intel Core i5-2500K 3300 MHz Sandy Bridge	
    Overclocked:		4800 MHz, 1.4 V	
    CPU Utilization (TDP):		85% TDP	
    RAM:		2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM	
    Video Card 1:		NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580	
    Regular SATA:		1 HDD	
    DRAM SSD:		1 Drive	
    DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive:		1 Drive	
    PCI Network Interface Card:		Yes	
    Fans			
    Regular:		3 Fans 120mm;  	
    Keyboard and mouse:		Yes	
    System Load:		90 %	
     
    Recommended Wattage:		484 Watts
    http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine (you can adjust the settings on your own if you like, it's possible mine are not perfect)

    Also last time I checked +12V@40A = 480 , is there a flaw in that math? It seems pretty straight forward.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Fierae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northampton, UK
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    I am planning for the future, it's a fact that power consumption will be lower in newer components, it will not go up.

    Obviously I could take Corsair's higher wattage PSUs, but I have a very good own experience with Antec's HCGs being extremely silent and reliable.
    That's not technically true. Components get more energy efficient, yes, it doesn't mean their consumption is going down though, especially not on loaded parts. Efficieny != consumption.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Burning Legion EU - Fieran (Feral) | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Played: EVE - 37mil SP | Rift Mage | Guild Wars 2 - Mesmer | SW:TOR Sage | BF4
    i7 3930K - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - GTX Titan SLI - Samsung 750GB 840 EVO - Corsair 540 - Full WC - Triple 1440p Monitors

  14. #14
    As an example the new AMD gfx have a higher TDP compared to the older ones, and if you think about THAT far in the future then you'll probably have to change most things anyway. Talking about a possible future (2 years) upgrade that might ask for more.

    ps: nobody said anything about Antec's reliability =p. Noise wise chitchat is instead pointless; to keep the current graphics cards in any circumstances at 70°C~ max will do a lot more noise, thus avoiding you to notice any difference in PSUs (unless you go for liquid or fix all the airflow and go with custom fans).

  15. #15
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,560
    Don't forget PSU decay, it may give out 520W now, but in a year this will be down to 510-515. Also, having PSU load to near 100% isn't the best for the PSU itself and may cause it to fail faster.
    With that, newer components mostly are more efficient, yes. But! manufacturers also put more and more into the new products. The top end cards still draw as much power as they did 5 years ago, while efficiency has doubled over that time.
    I'd take a 650W PSU not only to be safe, also because a PSU runs more efficient the closer it gets to 50% load.

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Gouca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    766
    "I'd take a 650W PSU not only to be safe, also because a PSU runs more efficient the closer it gets to 50% load."

    You have a link to his 50% stuff? I recall it being tested to be good to have PSU running with 85-90% of its max. output.
    Last edited by Gouca; 2012-01-03 at 04:30 PM.

  17. #17
    1. SSD > give the technology 3 more years. Your are overpaying as early adopter for marginal difference

    2. RAM > NEVER PURCHASE KENSINGTON VALUE RAM. Never ever. Go Corsair, or even Kensington's premium RAM, but not Value Ram.
    RAM > you'll need a 64 bit OS to go beyond 4GB. Which it does not make any difference at all because you will never use more than 3.5GB in your life (unless you do some very hardcore media encoding, but then we would be talking about a radically different beast with a radically different budget. You can safely lol at anyone using more than 4 GB of RAM - at least for gaming).

    3. Proc > Should go AMD instead of intel. Much (much) better value for money ratio, and much more OC options

    4. Power Supply > 520w is not up to today's standards. I wouldn't pick anything under 850w (mind you, my rig is fully loaded with stuff). Tried Thermaltake and I had to return two units. I have a Corsair now and works great.

    5. I personally hate GTX & GTS (heat dissipation, power consumption, noise and random CTD's). I also have the feeling nvidia cards have been growing in size over the years. I swapped to ATI on my last rig (for the first time, long time nVidia user) and never looked back.

    My 2 cents

  18. #18
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    it may give out 520W now.
    But it doesn't, even though it's not that far from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    "I'd take a 650W PSU not only to be safe, also because a PSU runs more efficient the closer it gets to 50% load."

    You have a link to his 50% stuff? I recall it being tested to be good to have PSU running with 85-90% of its max. output.
    No one said "your" PSU was a bad one, in fact it's not bad at all. But it doesn't change the fact that it's 480W max, unless my "math" is wrong. And you'll probably be running close to max which i wouldn't recommend but it's ultimately your choice.

  19. #19
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    "I'd take a 650W PSU not only to be safe, also because a PSU runs more efficient the closer it gets to 50% load."

    You have a link to his 50% stuff? I recall it being tested to be good to have PSU running with 85-90% of its max. output.
    Corsair AX1200 1200W: http://www.corsair.com/media//ax1200-efficiency.png
    Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P9 650W: http://i.imgur.com/QrlPW.png
    Seasonic X-760 760W: http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...a_x_760w/5.htm

    As you can see, the peaks in all graphs are around 50% load.

    -edit- Found a chart for the PSU you chose: http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-...efficiency.jpg. Again, the peak is around 50% load, slightly under even.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2012-01-03 at 04:44 PM.

  20. #20
    Mechagnome Nightbliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    "I'd take a 650W PSU not only to be safe, also because a PSU runs more efficient the closer it gets to 50% load."

    You have a link to his 50% stuff? I recall it being tested to be good to have PSU running with 85-90% of its max. output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    "I'd take a 650W PSU not only to be safe, also because a PSU runs more efficient the closer it gets to 50% load."

    You have a link to his 50% stuff? I recall it being tested to be good to have PSU running with 85-90% of its max. output.
    How can you say stuff like this? It's simple electronics, lol... Electronic components function better the lower the temperature.
    It's obvious a PSU will run better and by better I mean producing less heat wich leads to better efficiency and better output and less decay, between a certain % interval of it's Load. Not too much not too few, say 50 to 75%...

    His Antec HCG 520W will only be able to power up the system because of the immense build quality but seeing it's 12V Rail can only deliver 40'ish Amps it will be running close to it's full potential powering the OP's system wich makes it give up alot faster and as a long term solution it will be a bad investment since you'll definitely have to buy a new PSU sooner or later.

    About the system itself,

    Bad Ram, terrible Storage and a non-fitting PSU.
    Cut down on the Case and get a better PSU (XFX Core Edition 650W for example) and a better Ram. 17€ for 8Gigs? Goodluck overclocking with that Ram.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •