Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question ask a question (GW2)

hi there

this thread is for anyone interested in the game. It's a fact that there are tons of infos out there by now about this game, so this thread here is for people who lost the overview. It is important that all of the answeres are backed up by official sources/statements/interviews. Feel free to ask straight away, there are no stupid questions. Hope I (and the community) can help.

Q: Does anyone know how joining more than one guild will work? Which guild name will be displayed? Will I have multiple guild chats?
    A: post 3
    Q: Is there any way to play the demo, or was that only on special events (Gamescom, etc.)
    A: post 5 by Mif Only at the conventions. Although there will be a short promotional open beta before launch.
    Q: Will they release new content as expansion packs like Eye of the North or campaigns like Nightfall and Factions? And what will they add to the game?
    A: post 9
    Q: do we have to level up in order to participate in WvWvW (World PvP) or structured PvP (tournament and hot join play)?
    A: No, you get sidekicked to lv.80 here. post 25
    Q: do we have to level up in order to do new PvE content (like content from new expansions)?
    A: Yes, but if you have a high level friend, he can group you and sidekick you up to his level (as long as you stay in his group) see post 25
    Q: are there love interest options kind of like Bioware games, Elder scrolls, Fable etc?
    A: (until there is a source) probably no (can't find the source anymore)
    Q: will we be able to switch one character from PvE to structured PvP, and other way around?
    A: Each character can do whatever you feel like doing with it. If you enter structured PvP, your gear will be equalized so no one is stronger than the other. If the match is over, you get your original gear back. post 21 by Veven
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-05 at 12:16 AM.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What a great idea for a thread. Okay hrm let's see.
    Does anyone know how joining more than one guild will work? Which guild name will be displayed? Will I have multiple guild chats?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    What a great idea for a thread. Okay hrm let's see.
    Does anyone know how joining more than one guild will work? Which guild name will be displayed? Will I have multiple guild chats?

here something for you:

+ Guild membership is account wide, and you can add as many guilds as you like. You will be able to choose, at any time and on any character, which guild chat you are viewing and what guilds you are currently affiliated with.

+ Doing different activities (“almost anything,” to quote Eric Flannum) with guild-mates will earn Influence for one’s guild, which can be spent towards guild upgrades (storage, etc), or special in-game boosts like a flag that grants extra XP to guild members within its range.
    + Specific guilds will be able to capture keeps within WvWvW PvP, and be able to use their Influence to create upgrades to those keeps.
    http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/28/gw2pax-day-2/

Guilds are formal groupings of players. Guilds will be available to players from near the start of the game, will not be racially-exclusive, and you may join as many guilds as you would like per account. When a character logs in, it will be able to choose which guild it would like to represent. While representing that guild you will appear active on the guild roster and have access to the guild chat. Guild membership will also allow greater out-of-group interactivity, with guild members being easily located on a map, current activities visible on the guild roster, and other ways to keep track of fellow guildmates.

Out-of-game support for guilds will be also be implemented, with a guild calendar allowing guilds to coordinate events across timezones, guild chat accessible from web browsers, and smartphone apps that will be available for free.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-03 at 04:55 PM.

Nice thread idea there.
    Is there any way to play the demo, or was that only on special events (Gamescom, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    Nice thread idea there.
    Is there any way to play the demo, or was that only on special events (Gamescom, etc.)
    Only at the conventions.
    Although there will be a short promotional open beta before launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Only at the conventions.
    Although there will be a short promotional open beta before launch.
    Aww, I just can't wait to play it.
    Everything seems so..different and refreshing. Get out already!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Will they release new content as expansion packs like Eye of the North or campaigns like Nightfall and Factions? And what will they add to the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    Will they release new content as expansion packs like Eye of the North or campaigns like Nightfall and Factions? And what will they add to the game?
    Expansions. They have said they won't do stand alone campaigns for GW2.

---------- Post added 2012-01-04 at 09:26 AM ----------

As for what they'll contain, we don't even know what's in the base game yet, let alone the expansions

1. about standalone expansions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Flannum
    In an exclusive interview with GamerZines, ArenaNet's Eric Flannum has revealed that Guild Wars 2 will not get the standalone expansion treatment.
    For the original, ArenaNet released two standalone expansions - Factions and Nightfall - which offered two completely new continents, professions and campaigns to play through, but for the sequel there will be a new strategy.

"At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model," revealed Guild Wars 2's lead designer.
    "We felt that this model split our player base unnecessarily and also caused us to focus development effort on things that were redundant with the original release of the game such as tutorial areas and duplicates of already existing skills."

Flannum does have a valid point, as players are much more likely to find a team to quest with in Tyria than they're in Cantha or Elona.
    http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/news/g...xpansions.html

2.) about retail expansions:
    Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMORPG from ArenaNet, will be supported with retail expansions, design lead Eric Flannum has confirmed to VideoGamer.com.

"We support ourselves with micro-transactions and expansions. So we'll have retail expansions for sure," he said.
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/guild...renanet_2.html

3.) about what they add in the future:

more playable races:

Erik Flannum: Right now we've got five races announced, and we're not saying exactly how many, but that's not the total amount that we'll have, we're going to have more in the future.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/th...terview?page=2

so a new race means:
    -) new tutorial zones
    -) new personal stories (for these races)
    -) probably new low level zones (races meet at lv.30 in lions arch - much space between)

probably more weapons:

there was a question why polearms (seen on concept art) haven't been seen yet. The answer from Eric Flannum in the Q&A was: they didn't make it into the final cut of the game, but they could be added later.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1mRFmqz7F4#t=10m21s

new weapons mean:
    -) new skills for some of the classes (which use those new weapons)
    -) new traits for those weaponskills (which probably means: new trait-challenges!??)

that was all I could find out

some guesses:
    -) duelling (they said that it isn't in the release-version)
    -) housing (not sure where I got this)
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-05-16 at 11:37 AM.

All of this is proving very promising to me. I just hope they don't do the WoW thing and make you level up before being able to access the new content...
    Last edited by Zazajin; 2012-01-04 at 12:34 AM.

All of this is proving very promising to me. I just hope they don't do the WoW thing and make you level up before being able to access the new content...
    There is a new system called the sidekick system, where you can choose a friend and jump to his/her level weather it be up or down.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sidekick

So If you want to do 80 content from level 11 for example you just need a level 80 friend or just a random guy. I'd suggest the friend random guys never end well.

OMFG warchief.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-04 at 01:45 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    *Post #9 snip*
    excellent info, didn't know they weren't doing stand alone, good to see they are considering adding weapons maybe I will be able to dual wield swords as a guardian one day :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    -) duelling (they said that it isn't in the release-version)
    I remember hearing you could set a pvp map to 1v1 but yeah theirs no convent /duel option

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    OMFG warchief.
    congrats :P
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-04 at 11:37 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiosity, are there love interest options kind of like Bioware games, Elder scrolls, Fable etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Out of curiosity, are there love interest options kind of like Bioware games, Elder scrolls, Fable etc?
    No. Thank god.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Thank god.
    Aw c'mon Mif I know you wouldn't mind falling for a little Asura babe. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    Aw c'mon Mif I know you wouldn't mind falling for a little Asura babe. :P
    Don't need to fall for one because I'm rolling one

Seriously though, a good game needs two elements, storyline and gameplay, and the two should interact with each other seamlessly. The problem with interactive storyline romances is they don't benefit gameplay at all.

Don't need to fall for one because I'm rolling one

Seriously though, a good game needs two elements, storyline and gameplay, and the two should interact with each other seamlessly. The problem with interactive storyline romances is they don't benefit gameplay at all.
    BUT THEY CAN BE INTERESTING!!!! Dating sims are fun...well they can be...You're turning emotions and shit into...NUMBERS!

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    BUT THEY CAN BE INTERESTING!!!! Dating sims are fun...well they can be...You're turning emotions and shit into...NUMBERS!
    Successfully got laid in bed. Your smooth talking skill went up by 5 and is now 100.

Achievement earned: Baby maker.

Your smooth talking skill went up by 200 and is now 300.

Achievement earned: "Ok this is an intervention..."
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Successfully got laid in bed. Your smooth talking skill went up by 5 and is now 100.

Achievement earned: Baby maker.

Your smooth talking skill went up by 200 and is now 300.

Achievement earned: "Ok this is an intervention..."
    Dynamic event nearby: "nurse the baby". Different ways to complete: throw away dirty diapers, collect milk from cows and craft toys from wood". What's that about not benefiting gameplay Mif?^^

So I was wondering, will we be able to switch one character from PvE to structured PvP, and other way around?