High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Opinion For What I Should Do

Hey, I play a mage and am a main raider for Dread@Korgath. We are currently US #14 and working on heroic spine. I'd like some opinions as to whether or not I should restart my long-lost hope of attaining a legendary staff. I gave up towards the end of last tier after we had downed 7/7H. Currently I am at the part in the quest chain just before cinders where I need to do the retarded stuff for each of the bosses (doing certain things to collect shards and use them or whatever it is). My main question is: would it be worth it to run a heroic 10m weekly with some casual members and friends of the guild to finally finish my staff? I'd need to collect all cinders and siphon all essences. I really am pretty sick and tired of not being able to rank on WoL (being beaten by casual mages simply because of a gimmicky staff proc) but I am concerned that by the time I would actually finish and get the orange that the next expansion would be released or would be about to be released. Any insight? I ask this because I heard running strictly 10m takes forever to get a staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're that far behind, it will be more than 2 months until you complete your legendary. The end of the expansion is 3-4 months away.

Deleted
    Staff or no staff you should still be able to compete on the meters with a DS weapon.

If you do it because you want it then I'd say go for it with your friends/guildies.
    If you do it for progression... well... let's just say you guys will clear DS hc before you get it.
    If you want to top WoL even after you cleared DS hc, then you might get it and do some damage before the expansion is over.

Pretty sure that heroic Deathwing staff > Legendary.

Heroic DW staff sims like 2k dps behind the legendary iirc...

Edit:
    Legendary > H Lightning Rod > H Ti'tahk
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2012-01-03 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroic DW staff is not obtainable in the current position for him.. Then progression is over anyway so it won't matter nearly as much.
    Tankadin in Aurora. 6/6HC MSV 6/6HC HOF 3/4HC Terrace 3 days a week (25).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Heroic DW staff sims like 2k dps behind the legendary iirc...

Edit:
    Legendary > H Lightning Rod > H Ti'tahk
    Yep, but I'd say something more like the following:

Legendary >> H Lightning Rod > H Ti'tahk

Seeing as how it's a solid ~2.5-3k dps ahead via Rawr simulation and the real-world difference seen in combat log parses is even larger...

Quote Originally Posted by chris1554 View Post
    Heroic DW staff is not obtainable in the current position for him.. Then progression is over anyway so it won't matter nearly as much.
    It will be attainable as we have never not ended up farming all heroic encounters every single tier. I know the staff will never be attainable before we clear 8/8H (that's 100% guaranteed). The real question to myself is: do I want to go through the extra trouble over the next 2-3 months to finally get a legendary so that I can actually rank well in WoL? The answer: probably not after seeing now that it will take basically until the end of this expansion and I'd barely get to use it before it gets replaced with a green from 5.0.

Do you want to have a pretty pet and an orange on your account or no? Yes, it is the best dps weapon by far. H Ti'tahk is like 500+ dps behind H Lightning Rod, so it really shouldn't even be considered.

Depending on your server FL pugs may end up being retarded and make you want to cry... I know that's the case on my mage's server.

We're currently finishing off a staff for one of our members, also a DS HC raiding guild, and from my experience... I simply can't recommend going for DTR if it's that much work left for you (Our spriest will be done in 2 weeks, so, it's worth the trouble).

If you can get 10mans done with your guild on offdays, then that's probably worth doing if you have the time/patience, but, being able to do that reliably enough can be a problem. If you can only get a 10man every once in a while, and not clearing it every time (6/7 on HC at least), then you won't even get DTR until this expansion is over, I think. So it's a do-or-die thing, either you invest the time and effort and may get it in time for it to be valuable, or you don't, there's no middleground really.

Do you "need" it for progress though? No, not really. Sure it's an amazing staff, but, it's not so amazing that it makes you a bad or worthless mage because you don't have it. The RNG in your spec, the RNG of fights, and your own ability to play, is going to have a larger effect.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.