Thread: World PVP

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World PVP

Alright, I've seen this all over the internet, and I feel stupid because I'm either not getting something or the subject is starting to dumb me down.

I was looking through the blue post tracker and noticed a blue post made on a thread where someone on a RP server was complaining about the lack of world PVP. Okay, no complaints there. What *really* confuses me is the part where he's saying that you don't get world PVP "unless your on a PVP server".

I know at the end of his post he clarifies that not everyone would like to play on a PVP server, what confuses me is why HE doesn't. I see this over and over again, it's a recurring theme. I started the game years ago, on a PVE server alliance side, so I understand that people would like to see the return of Silithus, EPL, and things of the sort.

What I don't get is that MoP actually looks like it will have pretty good world PVP (from what I've seen so far), *if* you're on a PVP server.

TL;DR - if people want to world PVP so much, why don't they go on a PVP server? I get that right now world PVP is rare even on PVP servers, but it looks like that will at least be fixed in MoP.

Deleted
    because they are cry babies and want world pvp on their terms, i.e. places they can 1 shot noobs. not real world pvp, they want what they think is world pvp, which i just banking lowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkabela View Post
    because they are cry babies and want world pvp on their terms, i.e. places they can 1 shot noobs. not real world pvp, they want what they think is world pvp, which i just banking lowboys.
    Not necessarily. I thought about this, and think it's something different. I personally play on a PVP server, and world pvp is rare for sure. However I do know it might be desired by everyone, to have more world pvp in certain zones.

One thing got me thinking about it recently, and it was over new years when they basically made the guards not attack anyone in booty bay. I am sad I missed that! That sounds like a blast, for people on PVP or PVE servers. You have Blizzard essentially tell you where to go, and they deactivate guards. That would be a lot of fun, and not disrupt PVE servers too much, for the people who don't want to participate.

They could just put out announcements, or however to go to (for example booty bay), and just turn off guards for a weekend. Do this like they do Call to Arms. So every weekend, it changes. One weekend it is Booty Bay, one weekend it is Everlook in Winterspring, one weekend it's Light's Hope Chapel on EPL. Basically just have Blizzard announce where it is, or put it on the calendar, as a sort of "ok, everyone meet here". It would be pretty chaotic, and honestly probably lead to the entire zone lighting up with pvp to a degree. And since it's on the calendar and maybe announced (like here on MMO champ, as it was over new years) people who did not want to participate could plan accordingly to not be in those zones or avoid those towns/hot spots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kewidogg View Post
    One thing got me thinking about it recently, and it was over new years when they basically made the guards not attack anyone in booty bay. I am sad I missed that! That sounds like a blast, for people on PVP or PVE servers. You have Blizzard essentially tell you where to go, and they deactivate guards. That would be a lot of fun, and not disrupt PVE servers too much, for the people who don't want to participate.

They could just put out announcements, or however to go to (for example booty bay), and just turn off guards for a weekend. Do this like they do Call to Arms. So every weekend, it changes. One weekend it is Booty Bay, one weekend it is Everlook in Winterspring, one weekend it's Light's Hope Chapel on EPL. Basically just have Blizzard announce where it is, or put it on the calendar, as a sort of "ok, everyone meet here". It would be pretty chaotic, and honestly probably lead to the entire zone lighting up with pvp to a degree. And since it's on the calendar and maybe announced (like here on MMO champ, as it was over new years) people who did not want to participate could plan accordingly to not be in those zones or avoid those towns/hot spots.
    I think you may be onto something, please post that on the official forums mate. I normally find Forum idea's pretty MEH but thinking about that, it's a really good idea. +1

Edit: Just imagine that in Pandaria continent, would be sweet with all the cool looking villages etc :P

10+ Year Old Account
    People want big, uninstanced battles when they say they want 'world pvp' (sometimes, and in this case.)

The reason why the blues say go to PvP servers for it is because it's the only place it will happen really organically.

However, ironically PvP servers have some of the worst faction imbalances, which directly leads to a bad World PvP scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by tinkabela View Post
    I'm so happy this was the first reply to this tired, dead-horse topic.

Takes skill to one-shot someone in quest greens, yo.

---------- Post added 2012-01-04 at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    People want big, uninstanced battles when they say they want 'world pvp' (sometimes, and in this case.)

The reason why the blues say go to PvP servers for it is because it's the only place it will happen really organically.

However, ironically PvP servers have some of the worst faction imbalances, which directly leads to a bad World PvP scene.
    I'd like to also add that currently since Org and SW are such massive hubs and we have Quing features, the vast majority of the world is just plain empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kombucha View Post
    I'd like to also add that currently since Org and SW are such massive hubs and we have Quing features, the vast majority of the world is just plain empty.
    I'd just like to say that prior to 4.3, the Molten Front actually had some people in it.

But people are only out in the world if there is a reason for them to be. If we didn't have queuing in SW/Org, people would just be standing around the caverns of time. Maybe.

But considering how dirt dumb easy the 4.3 instances are compared to anything else, it's not really a surprise.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

The world PvP ship has sailed a long time ago, nothing will ever compare to it. Wintergrasp, TB, etc are all poor attempts at world PvP that no one cares about. Blizzard thinks these things are successful when they aren't, they should scrap them altogether. I can see world PvP happening in MOP with no flying mounts, but then again it just won't compare to the older days because people will go back to instanced content in 5 levels & never look back.

Heres a clip of World PvP in its golden age, nothing will ever compare no matter what Blizzard does.

Not to get totally nostalgic, but I remember how fun the battles back and forth from South Shore/Taren Mill used to be. So much fun.

I don't see why the idea I suggested wouldn't bring some of that back. Just add cities or specific locations to a "call to arms" sort of weekend rotation, with maybe honor bonuses such that are inherent in BGs, and people can go fight in the regular world.

It's been stated more than once that MoP will center on the Horde vs. Alliance conflict, yet blizzard has also said there will be no WG/TolBarad equivalent in the expansion. One can hope for an expansion that'd designed to promote world PvP, but I personally get the feeling it just means a lot of "Horde/Alliance Infantry" mobs. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

me and my friend fly to sw and kill people outside the city and fly to the dwarf bank and kill people sitting in sw or near the training dummys, very fun, groups of alliance gather up and try getting us

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    The world PvP ship has sailed a long time ago, nothing will ever compare to it. Wintergrasp, TB, etc are all poor attempts at world PvP that no one cares about. Blizzard thinks these things are successful when they aren't, they should scrap them altogether. I can see world PvP happening in MOP with no flying mounts, but then again it just won't compare to the older days because people will go back to instanced content in 5 levels & never look back.

Heres a clip of World PvP in its golden age, nothing will ever compare no matter what Blizzard does.

that video is the reason I play WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Your clip of World PvP is an organized event created by the community on the server that was harassed (and in bad taste I might add) by another organized group.

Blizzard hasn't nerfed the ability for people to have memorial services on PvP servers.

The video you linked did that. All the World PvP hungry people harassing another group shows that even in Vanilla, the community was far from kind.

Tol Barad actually does a pretty good job of replicating the pointless back and forth of giant groups that was SS/TM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    Your clip of World PvP is an organized event created by the community on the server that was harassed (and in bad taste I might add) by another organized group.

Blizzard hasn't nerfed the ability for people to have memorial services on PvP servers.

The video you linked did that. All the World PvP hungry people harassing another group shows that even in Vanilla, the community was far from kind.

Tol Barad actually does a pretty good job of replicating the pointless back and forth of giant groups that was SS/TM.
    Not to mention the fact that Alliance don't even exist on that realm (Illidan) anymore. It's as if the Horde got the last laugh.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Not to mention the fact that Alliance don't even exist on that realm (Illidan) anymore. It's as if the Horde got the last laugh.
    Oh yeah- Being Alliance on Illidan is kinda nutty.

Deleted
    People that want world PvP don't wanna start on PvP server because of all the ganking. It is pretty annoying if your trying to level, so many players end up in "Normal" servers. Blizz tried to resolve non-existent world PvP issue on these realms by putting in WG, but it's dead now. I wonder why Blizz can't just boost Honor points you gain there... Many people would surely go back.
    And ofc the flying. There is no need for PvP anymore, because you can just fly and none can harm you.

Quote Originally Posted by kewidogg View Post
    Not necessarily. I thought about this, and think it's something different. I personally play on a PVP server, and world pvp is rare for sure. However I do know it might be desired by everyone, to have more world pvp in certain zones.

No. The magic of the old world PvP was the spontaneity. Putting it on schedules would just make it another WG/TB, something people wait around in their capitol cities for to happen, rather than going out and making their own battles. Unfortunately, I think those days are dead, and I doubt MoP will bring it back. Flying mounts alone destroy it, even without factoring everything else in.

Just speaking from my experience when I started back in TBC on a pve server we had world pvp. Mind you it wasnt every day but we had the common battles in Westfall/Crossroads/Tauren Mill and Southshore. Also had the occasional raid on a city (before leader kill achievement). It was fun again this being on a pve server (kinda lame on at that) and hearing "horde in westfall" or joining a raid for crossroads. Again since I was not around for vanilla I do not know if EPL or Silthius were ever successful in what they were intended to do but no pvp ever happened in those two zones.

I always see these "Bring back World PvP" threads and honesty think its deader than dead for all the reasons stated. I played rift for a hot second on a PvP server and what I did love was the fact when rifts spawned in certain zones it brought both factions together to create a pvp battle. To me it was less artificial then Wintergrasp or TB. Now of course Blizz could make some twist on this but probably alot people would think they are biting too hard on Rift..but meh.

Now as the blue post, which you are right in he didnt make sense at all, wanted world pvp but didnt want to be on a pve server makes it difficult. What annoys me about PvP servers these days is the ganking that goes on. YES! I know this what pvp is in some sense but still does not go the best for me. Just my makeup but I HATE with a passion some fat moron (like Southpark episode) running around at max level ganking your low level toon while your try to grind. Also not as bad but say you have to fight your way through a bunch mobs or elite boss for quest and you almost done with quest and BAM! You got ganked. Now again part pvp but not the most fun when you are at 10 percent health and then they jump you.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Increase the Honor for HK to 3-4 times what you would get in a bg. Only people close to your level give honor.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Deleted
    What if when you got killed by another player (out in the "world"), you got an option to call a mass summon, which would summon everyone in the zone/stormwind/whatever/whatever. So people can accept the call, and if you kill the person who ganked you there are suddenly two small "armies" of people for world pvp.

Cuz a lot of the time someone in gchat will be like - "getting ganked in STV by an 85 can someone come help". And I'm all for it - but after spending 10 minutes getting there the person's obviously gone.

EDIT: it also means if you want to get into some world pvp - you know you jst have to find one person to kill.
    Last edited by mmoc4c369d948d; 2012-01-05 at 10:40 AM.