Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    350k is great
    Skyrim PC version had at max some 280k or 300k concurrent users on steam and that's a SP only buy to play game with a very respected brand and dev behind it and with a wider release than TOR

and people calling TOR a grind...
    never ever even look in the general direction of an asian MMO, your head will explode
    this is basically my thoughts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You know, it's actually a very small number of MMOs that came crashing down badly or sadly. People (myself included) like to go on about all the failed WoW-killers, but all they failed to do was kill WoW. Most of them are still active and turning a profit. If that's the future that awaits SW:TOR, I'm fine with that.
    Yep, but I guess you missed my point. I wanted SWTOR to succeed, that is the only way to bring something new to the market. SWTOR is basically WoW in space with a twist (and a huge story behind it). If SWTOR would succeed, this will push other game developers to make their products be more innovative.

SWTOR is the most expensive _new_ MMO ever made and it dissappointed me in every way, it's just old, nothing innovative. I've played MMOs for about 15 years, since the UO times and all, and I really hope I can get something new to play. SWTOR was the most potential new game for me, and still I feel "cheated". I'm not really talking about "WoW killers" per se, I couldn't care less how well WoW will "sell" in the future, I just want to find "my own WoW killer".

---------- Post added 2012-01-03 at 11:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Ponder this one young padawan.

If people are so quick to glorify a "mediocre" game, then what does that say about their past experiances?

I have played Wow for 7 years, Warhammer on and off for 2 years, and tried most other MMOs out there, and yet SWTOR seems fresh and fun. Interesting no?
    For you, yes. For me, no. Notice: I THINK it's a mediocre game without any new features. And looking at the past with fresh MMO releases, all mediocre MMOs have "failed". Surely they have those few hundred thousand subs and all their fanbois, but that is not what Bioware (and I) are looking for, I could guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Well I got in on Day 1 of Early Access, so it was nine days (4 days 7 hours /played)

Considering I can do 1-85 in only five days (2 days 22 hours /played), I'd say that SWTOR's leveling is overly time consuming

Bad troll is BAD!!

Let me break it down for you. WoW has been around for quite some time now, so........everyone and their unborn infant currently knows what the fastest way to powerlevel is.

SWTOR on the other hand has only been out for a fraction of that time, therefore, there are no power level guides, or personal knowledge from having 7+ max level characters.

Ergo......you cannot compare the two. So just stop right there.

If anything..........I may even wager to say it can be a little more grindy.

Edit: That is definitely a healthy number. Hopefully it only gets better. As what really matters with an MMO is what happens when the free one month runs out.

But for now.....lets just all agree that things look promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggietails View Post
    You don't find Shadowmourne in PvP, it finds you.

Yes, the people who thought it meant subscribers are wrong, it's been pointed out nearly a hundred times in this thread. You won that particular argument, now move past that.

This is comparing a game at launch, with tons of hype around it before your average player is at max level and in doing the content that is the real "Meat" of an mmo. Leveling is all find and dandy, and if you're crazy you can level one of everything, sure. However claiming these active numbers and wildly defending them, when average people haven't even hit endgame is a little silly. 350k is a nice strong start, give it a few months and see if the end-game content is enough to keep people, if not you'll likely see a drop in that number as people quickly grow "Bored."

PS: For the love of god, do not bring up the "WoW didn't have raids at launch!" argument that I see everywhere. Wow launched in 2004, it's 2012 now, the standards are different. Automobiles started with crank engines, if you decided to open your own automobile manufacturing plant are you going to start with crank engine automobiles in 2012? Of course you wouldn't, you would be laughed out of the market. This is obviously and *extreme* comparison, but made so to hopefully get the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotanik View Post
    Yep, but I guess you missed my point. I wanted SWTOR to succeed, that is the only way to bring something new to the market. SWTOR is basically WoW in space with a twist (and a huge story behind it). If SWTOR would succeed, this will push other game developers to make their products be more innovative.

SWTOR is the most expensive _new_ MMO ever made and it dissappointed me in every way, it's just old, nothing innovative. I've played MMOs for about 15 years, since the UO times and all, and I really hope I can get something new to play. SWTOR was the most potential new game for me, and still I feel "cheated". I'm not really talking about "WoW killers" per se, I couldn't care less how well WoW will "sell" in the future, I just want to find "my own WoW killer".
    If your point was that SW:TOR wasn't innovative enough, that's fine.

But you declared as "the truth that people are blindly ignoring" that SW:TOR is destined to come crashing down. And now you follow it up with "LOOK AT HOW MUCH MMO EXPERIENCE I HAVE", as if that proves anything other than how blind you yourself are to how often MMOs actually crash and burn.

Deleted
    In this thread: People who seem to think 350k peak time users is awful, and do not realize that Peak time in the US is a time where hardly anyone in the EU is playing, and vice versa. It's not that hard to figure out.

10+ Year Old Account
    For you, yes. For me, no. Notice: I THINK it's a mediocre game without any new features. And looking at the past with fresh MMO releases, all mediocre MMOs have "failed". Surely they have those few hundred thousand subs and all their fanbois, but that is not what Bioware (and I) are looking for, I could guess.
    I have no say in what you are looking for. Bioware however is looking to make profit and make a game that people will enjoy. They can't please all of you but they can please alot of us. I would argue they have succeeded on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozkurt View Post
    Bad troll is BAD!!

Let me break it down for you. WoW has been around for quite some time now, so........everyone and their unborn infant currently knows what the fastest way to powerlevel is.

SWTOR on the other hand has only been out for a fraction of that time, therefore, there are no power level guides, or personal knowledge from having 7+ max level characters.

Ergo......you cannot compare the two. So just stop right there.

If anything..........I may even wager to say it can be a little more grindy.

Edit: That is definitely a healthy number. Hopefully it only gets better. As what really matters with an MMO is what happens when the free one month runs out.

But for now.....lets just all agree that things look promising.
    SWTOR is so linear that it doesn't need a Guide, or personal experience though
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

---------- Post added 2012-01-03 at 11:27 PM ----------

I am basing my views and assessment on when Wow first came out. It was very buggy, but unfortunately so was just about every other MMO out at the time. Wow is the first one to by now have most all of the kinks worked out. No unfortunately Wow looks less than great when compared to the modern-ish graphics swtor has to offer. No if Swtor can add some of the wow content and polished way of doing things then we will have something. The point though is that these things do not and cannot happen overnight. MMOs are a constantly evolving entity and when they are released they still take time to evolve into what they are. Swtor is not at the point yet but Bioware should work progressively to get there as Blizzard did.

See thats the problem with biases. Nothing will ever "kill wow" for you because you really like wow. I feel until you can learn to let go, wou ywill only find dissapointment in every game you try and use to break the wow habit.

SWTOR is pretty amazing. Every class is fun, the story line (esp Sith) is really well done and fun. If you dont spacebar thru the quests, it actually feels like killing those 15 bears and collecting 10 pelts (this was joke btw) fun. Having light/dark choices, healing mechanics, space combat, companions that care about your choices, etc. All new and fun stuff.

I wish you luck in finding your new drug, but I think you will always just be chasing the dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    Yes, the people who thought it meant subscribers are wrong, it's been pointed out nearly a hundred times in this thread. You won that particular argument, now move past that.

This is comparing a game at launch, with tons of hype around it before your average player is at max level and in doing the content that is the real "Meat" of an mmo. Leveling is all find and dandy, and if you're crazy you can level one of everything, sure. However claiming these active numbers and wildly defending them, when average people haven't even hit endgame is a little silly. 350k is a nice strong start, give it a few months and see if the end-game content is enough to keep people, if not you'll likely see a drop in that number as people quickly grow "Bored."

PS: For the love of god, do not bring up the "WoW didn't have raids at launch!" argument that I see everywhere. Wow launched in 2004, it's 2012 now, the standards are different. Automobiles started with crank engines, if you decided to open your own automobile manufacturing plant are you going to start with crank engine automobiles in 2012? Of course you wouldn't, you would be laughed out of the market. This is obviously and *extreme* comparison, but made so to hopefully get the point across.
    By the same token its absolutely ridiculous for you to expect a game that has literally just come out to have all the polish and features and experience that a game thats been out for 7 years has. In fact if we were to mark your standard NO NEW mmos would ever be released because they can't travel time.

10+ Year Old Account
    350k is fine and a healthy population. WoW players are dillusional. Who cares, you are lucky to play withjust 50 of those players. Get off your high horse and realize WoW numbers are inflated and a freak occurance due to a broken market. Population is and will be fine.

SWTOR is so linear that it doesn't need a Guide, or personal experience though
    Previous argument get shot down? Sift gears and pretend nothing happened!

Quote Originally Posted by ferraripilot View Post
    350k over a couple hundred servers after 1 month of release is indeed fantastic. That's probaby right around 1.5-1.6m subs. The game is far less buggy than Wow was when it was first released (I know, I was there!). That being said, Wow defined 'mega mmo' and pretty much remains the only defining one to date. Wow did not grow to its size overnight, and it wasn't until well after Burning Crusade that Wow peaked and has since been declining especially since early 2011. Point being: give swtor time to gain momentum the same way Wow did and interesting things may happen if Bioware does things right.

*End-game content will make or break the game*

For what it's worth, approx half of our swtor guild members are keeping one foot in the door with wow with the other in swtor with hopes that swtor will content-wise be able to compete with wow so they in essence have enough to do in swtor so they can cease playing wow. A few people in the guild have already shit their wow accounts down.
    mega mmos are bad for consumers though. really hope at least 2 of them are out at a time from now on so the genre doesn't get shitty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Yeah I think we need to just disregard what Shadylol says.

Peak Concurrent Users = Players Logged in At ONE Given Time
    a. Not Subscribers
    b. Not Boxes Sold

Now take that, and think for a sec. 350k people: US and EU, no, no it's concurrent players! On at once! US 'peak time' is somewhere around 10PM EASTERN (7PST) which is 3AM in England. England's peak is at 5pm EST/2PM PST when most of us are at work or school!

So if 300k of those 350k players at 10PM EST are US players, that's ~20% of total subs, but if you cross out EU altogether that's ~40% of US at once! On the HOLIDAYS!

SWTOR is fine. Stop trolling or learn common sense.
    Thank god for a ray of sunlight in this cave full of people grasping at straws to hate this game.

Seriously, 350k at peak is -very- healthy for 2-3~ weeks post release. I'd be willing to guess no other MMO has boasted those numbers post vanilla release.

I did 1-60 twice, during Vanilla; and I agree that it took longer, but that was a few years ago now. I think SWTOR would greatly benefit from trying to match present day WoW, in terms of leveling Content
    Maybe in an expansion or two. Now? Why not just give everyone a free 50 out of the box eh that'd speed things up. Pretty much what WoW does with recruit a friend. Do you not enjoy leveling at all? How does giving an overly fast leveling process help any game other than to appease the instant gratification folks? An extra 30 or so hours is not bad and is actually a good thing for the game considering one of their no. 1 selling points was the story told throughout the leveling process. I don't want them to do what you think is a good thing which is pretty much turn it into WoW's method of through planet's/zones so fast you get 1/3 of the way through a quest line before you out level it forcing you either to get zero xp for an hour or two while you finish or move on and maybe complete it later once again for zero xp.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well this turned into a troll fest pretty rapidly.