Thread: SSD quality

SSD quality

Hey there, i recently started looking up some solid state drives online. I really know nothing about the SSD market and i am not sure what is really a good deal or not. I already have a HDD but i want an SSD only for my operating system and games so it really doesn't need a lot of memory.

I found this online: OCZ 60GB http://www.compusa.com/applications/...431&CatId=5300 What do you guys think, is it a good deal? i have seen people use OCZ so i am guessing it is a good company.

Thanks

Deleted
    Generally I try and steer away from OCZ, they're are just not as reliable as other brands like Crucial, Intel, Corsair and a few others.

I would highly recommend getting a higher capacity one like 120GB+ I understand they cost more but in the long run you'll be much more satisfied. I f you decide you can't afford any bigger size I would stick with a Crucial M4 64GB It should be just around $100 with this code: EMCKJKG23 (assuming it still applies)

If you do decide on a bigger SSD like 120GB+ there is a good one around $170 Corsair Force Series 3, 120GB

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Generally I try and steer away from OCZ, they're are just not as reliable as other brands like Crucial, Intel, Corsair and a few others.

I would highly recommend getting a higher capacity one like 120GB+ I understand they cost more but in the long run you'll be much more satisfied. I f you decide you can't afford any bigger size I would stick with a Crucial M4 64GB It should be just around $100 with this code: EMCKJKG23 (assuming it still applies)

If you do decide on a bigger SSD like 120GB+ there is a good one around $170 Corsair Force Series 3, 120GB
    Well yeah i am not trying to spend much on it and like i said i am only putting games and my os on it so i probably wont even get near the 60 gb.
    Is there anything i should know about SSD's that would let me know how good they are? Is there a 'speed' to gauge or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilus View Post
    Well yeah i am not trying to spend much on it and like i said i am only putting games and my os on it so i probably wont even get near the 60 gb.
    Is there anything i should know about SSD's that would let me know how good they are? Is there a 'speed' to gauge or anything?
    60 GB will be waaay to small if you are going to put both your OS and games on it.
    Well, depends more how much games you have..but still.

Got a 60 gb OCZ ssd for my OS and programs and a 120 gb one (corsair) for my games.
    both are pretty much filling up.

Stay clear from the OCZ ssd series unless they are from the "3" series.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2012-01-04 at 04:28 AM.

I would recommend that you did some research before getting a SSD, try googling lines like "SSD Failure Rates 2011".

Like Notarget said OCZ haven't shown themselves to be to reliable compared to other brands, I haven't found any data on the Vertex 3 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    60 GB will be waaay to small if you are going to put both your OS and games on it.
    Well, depends more how much games you have..but still.

Got a 60 gb OCZ ssd for my OS and programs and a 120 gb one (corsair) for my games.
    both are pretty much filling up.

Stay clear from the OCZ ssd series unless they are from the "3" series.
    Well i generally play games a lot, but i only play maybe a handful at a time. I am not one to constantly pick up new games so often. But i may just wait and save til later on for a 120gb if it really would give me enough room

---------- Post added 2012-01-03 at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    I would recommend that you did some research before getting a SSD, try googling lines like "SSD Failure Rates 2011".

Like Notarget said OCZ haven't shown themselves to be to reliable compared to other brands, I haven't found any data on the Vertex 3 though.
    Well research is something i barely have done with these drives. I just know that they are a lot faster than HDD's and have great load times. Which is why i would only put my OS / games on it. So corsair, intel, and crucial are companies with reliable products?

Deleted
    If you can wait a little and then get 120GB+ it's definitely worth the wait. Games like WoW, SW;TOR takes up 20GB (each) easily, then you have Windows filling up 15-25GB depending on if you use hibernation, big Paging File etc. so you see how it quickly fills up. If you fill the SSD you'll see a performance drop, if it's noticeable for the average user I'm not sure.

Yes, the companies I mentioned are reliable, Intel is the most expensive and Corsair Force 3 is probably the best price/performance atm. Crucial is in the middle of it all, cost a little more but it rock solid.

If you can wait a little and then get 120GB+ it's definitely worth the wait. Games like WoW, SW;TOR takes up 20GB (each) easily, then you have Windows filling up 15-25GB depending on if you use hibernation, big Paging File etc. so you see how it quickly fills up. If you fill the SSD you'll see a performance drop, if it's noticeable for the average user I'm not sure.

Yes, the companies I mentioned are reliable, Intel is the most expensive and Corsair Force 3 is probably the best price/performance atm. Crucial is in the middle of it all, cost a little more but it rock solid.
    Yeah that makes sense. I think i will wait then. I just ordered my new pc which is why i am asking about the SSD since i managed to save some money on the rig and i was thinking of putting that money into some more upgrades. Now i am thinking i may go with a better case [was planning on getting the haf 912 since it is nice for the price, but now i have more to spend for a case]. I would like the speed of an SSD but if i am just going to fill it up and slow it down with that amount of memory id rather wait to get the larger one.

Deleted
    I installed an OCZ Agility 3 last week.

Didnt know OCZ were "not reliable" so i hope mine doesnt fail.

Cant fault the speed of it though, my PC boots up to desktop in 5-10 seconds and game zone load times are done in a couple of seconds.

Its lightning quick.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh come on, load of crap being thrown here.

The whole OCZ crap is because of SandForce's controller chip issues, it's a load of crock to keep bringing that up.

OCZ is, now with the fixed Firmware for the SF-2281 controller, just as good as any brand with SF-2281 controllers.
    Just make sure you firmware update, and you should be ready to rock. (this also goes for any brand).

Vertex 1s were praised and still roar well to this day, Vertex 2s (ok i'll admit the dirty trick of switching nm NAND, but OCZ wasn't the only one, this doesn't excuse them however) were so-so, they did perform well if they didn't die, and Vertex 3 series had the SandForce issues, little to do with OCZ themselves, it got fixed, get bloody over it.

The only thing is that 60GB may be too little, 120GB would be better.

Deleted
    Always so positive Evildeffy, it's good see.

Trust takes time to build back up and if you mix in their attitude towards their customers on how they handled the whole thing then yeah it's pretty shitty. So no I wont get bloody over it. I'd rather go with, and recommend, what I know is reliable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Always so positive Evildeffy, it's good see.

Trust takes time to build back up and if you mix in their attitude towards their customers on how they handled the whole thing then yeah it's pretty shitty. So no I wont get bloody over it. I'd rather go with, and recommend, what I know is reliable.
    Agreed, i can see that trust takes time to build up, however again it wasn't just OCZ that was unable to find any errors, hell NONE of the OEMs knew where the problem lied, it wasn't untill it became more of a public issue untill any of the OEMs accepted returns, including OCZ, Corsair and others.
    It wasn't untill Anand Tech actually made an accidental discovery on what caused it that allowed SandForce to find the fault and fix it.

What you wish to recommend that is reliable that's fine, no-one faults you for it, nor was my post aimed specifically at you alone, it was aimed at everyone.

The posts are generally saying "OCZ is crap, avoid them" is what i get a bit irritated over, it should be more accurate to state "The SandForce controller series sucked due to bugs in the firmware, OCZ is no exception", hell if i were to get any SSD right now i would either go for Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS or Corsair Performance Pro.

The reason for this is the 34nm Toshiba Toggle NAND, and out of those i would probably choose the Corsair Performance Pro, due to it's insane performance putting it on par easily with the SF-2281 controller combined with the Toggle NAND and Marvell Controller.

I state this before i'm being called an OCZ fanboy, i am a technician, i look at specs and capabilities, and OCZ is definately not as bad as people make it out to be.

I purchased an OCZ Vertex 3 (120gb) about 6 months ago and have been extremely pleased with it so far. So pleased, that I purchased a second to set up in RAID.

newegg has a great deal on a 120g corsair right now...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233191

Kinda sucks that a mail-in is involved, but still savin some money