difference in between factions for classes

Hi all, I had an enquiry about the differences in between the classes.

As far as I knew, it was only the name that changed: eg: jedi knight = sith warrior & jedi consular = sith inquisitor (please correct me if I am wrong)

And so I assume that smuggler = bounty hunter & trooper = imperial agent.

However, for the ones just above, their respective advances classes do not have the same possibilities role-wise (heal or tank, all can dps).

So I wanted to know if someone could make it a bit clearer as to what are the differences for them, and if I am wrong for the knight & consular, please let me know about those differences

Thanks,

All the advance classes are the same as well. The only difference are the names.
    Jedi Consular Sage = Sith Inquisitor Sorc
    Jedi Consular Shadow = Sith Inquisitor Assasin

ect

Smuggler = Imperial Agent
    Trooper = Bounty Hunter

Guardian = Juggernaut
    Sentinel = Marauder

Sage = Sorcerer
    Shadow = Assassin

Gunslinger = Sniper
    Scoundrel = Operative

Vanguard = Powertech
    Commando = Mercenary

Ok, great, thanks for the answers, but it doesn't explain why when you are choosing a class IG, it tells me that the commando can heal + dps while the mercenary can only dps. (and you have a similar issue with the gunslinger & sniper)

Is this just an error on Bioware side?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Mercs can definitely heal

I think you are getting the mirrors confused imperial agents = smugglers they have one side that can heal and one that is pure dps, whereas bounty hunters and troopers have one advanced class that can heal and the other can tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    Trooper = Bounty Hunter

Guardian = Juggernaut -- tank, melee dps
    Sentinel = Marauder -- melee dps

Sage = Sorcerer -- heals, ranged dps
    Shadow = Assassin -- tank, melee dps

Gunslinger = Sniper -- ranged dps
    Scoundrel = Operative -- heals, dps

Vanguard = Powertech -- tank, melee dps
    Commando = Mercenary -- heals, ranged dps
    Edited with the roles for each AC. Hopefully that clears up your confusion. The roles ARE the same for the equivalent classes. The spells can change names & graphics, but the function is mostly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    Trooper = Bounty Hunter

Guardian = Juggernaut
    Sentinel = Marauder

Sage = Sorcerer
    Shadow = Assassin

Gunslinger = Sniper
    Scoundrel = Operative

Vanguard = Powertech
    Commando = Mercenary
    There are some differences.

1.JC's Project skill has a travel time on damage vs the SI's Shock which has no travel time on damage.
    2.Troopers Stock Strike has a travel time on damage vs the Bounty Hunter's no travel time on Rocket Pouch.

In PvP the Sith versions have the advantage over the Republic counterpart, having no travel time on burst damage can be the difference in stopping a heal or not, other then that everything is the same.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you select your specialization it will limit you to two roles available to your AC. If you go tank/dps AC then you can not heal. if you go heal/dps AC then you can not tank. It is not a mistake at all. Both sides are the same. At level ten you basically take the class you started as and pick which side you want to specialize in. Since I know the Imperial Agent best I'll use them as an example to explain it to you better.

lv10 as an Imperial Agent I am given two different choices for my advanced class. I can go sniper and become a ranged dps class. I get a nice long range, a portal cover, and some nifty CC/tools. My second choice is to become an Operative. Operatives have 2 different available roles available to them. They can become medics or they can become a rogue type deal. I get stealth as a class benefit, an out of combat stealth CC, and quite a few stuns and melee interrupts. Once I pick and Advanced Class I am stuck with it forever. Each Advanced Class has three different talent trees to spend my points. There are no dual specs to Different Advanced Classes or in my own at this time. As of now there is no way to change an Advanced Class once chosen.

hope that cleared up any of your confusion on the matter.