Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Look at LoL, you don't even need to buy the game.

  2. #42
    box sales alone will keep GW2 going for years.

    the cash shop (vanity items) are just a little extra for them

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    ... I'm fine with whatever business model they chose as long as you can't buy advantages in game for cash.
    Well, Guild Wars 1 and 2 are not gear based games. So the only advantages one could gain practically are extra bank slots. Weapons and armor peak out at L80- all the same essentially. There is no gear treadmill and content scales to level. So I wouldn't worry about this either. The current store for Guild Wars only sells services [name/gender change], storage and costumes.

    You kinda run content just for vanity items in GW. And fun of course. But there are no "upgrades" in running dungeon A or B. It's all cosmetic. So yea, vanity items are the thing.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, Guild Wars 1 and 2 are not gear based games. So the only advantages one could gain practically are extra bank slots. Weapons and armor peak out at L80- all the same essentially. There is no gear treadmill and content scales to level. So I wouldn't worry about this either. The current store for Guild Wars only sells services [name/gender change], storage and costumes.
    Yes that's correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You kinda run content just for vanity items in GW. And fun of course. But there are no "upgrades" in running dungeon A or B. It's all cosmetic. So yea, vanity items are the thing.
    Following is only my theory (it's not official or confirmed): Uhm.. yes.. and no. Item level is the same across the board at level 80. But.. some hard to craft items or those from hard (explorer) mode dunguens may have different stat distribution that suits your playstyle better - yes, PLAYSTYLE not the class. Again, above is just my assumption/prediction/opinion not a fact.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Following is only my theory (it's not official or confirmed): Uhm.. yes.. and no. Item level is the same across the board at level 80. But.. some hard to craft items or those from hard (explorer) mode dunguens may have different stat distribution that suits your playstyle better - yes, PLAYSTYLE not the class. Again, above is just my assumption/prediction/opinion not a fact.
    Possibly, but the stat weights would be the same across the board. So non-factor. You couldn't really sell "advantage" items ala EQ2 marketplace with such a system as GW2.

    So not really worth fretting over when gear doesn't have the same relevance as in other games. Not that it is irrelevant. Just not emphasized in the same way.

    Off topic like crazy today. oO

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    I really do think GW2 is the next evolution of the MMO as WoW was to EQ1. Some people can't see it, some people want to deny it, but it's coming. GW2 is in the EXACT spot WoW was, EQ was faltering, WoW swooped in with drastic changes and streamlined systems and exploded, GW2 is in the exact same position right this very moment.
    Yep and the world will finally fucking know the wrath of no monthly fee's. Fuck you greedy Blizz WoW should have been free years ago! /endrant, no but seriously I couldn't agree more with OP I have NEVER been this excited over a video game and it just feels that ANet gets it, they get everything that's "wrong" with mmo's and they are removing/revamping it and it's about god damn time I say. I may just forfeit my social life to play GW2 it looks so amazing and the idea's behind it are just revolutionary and fresh.

    I couldn't say the same for a certain game... cough swtor cough... I'm so tired of clones.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Heheumadhehe View Post
    Yep and the world will finally fucking know the wrath of no monthly fee's. Fuck you greedy Blizz WoW should have been free years ago! /endrant, no but seriously I couldn't agree more with OP I have NEVER been this excited over a video game and it just feels that ANet gets it, they get everything that's "wrong" with mmo's and they are removing/revamping it and it's about god damn time I say. I may just forfeit my social life to play GW2 it looks so amazing and the idea's behind it are just revolutionary and fresh.

    I couldn't say the same for a certain game... cough swtor cough... I'm so tired of clones.
    While I share your enthusiasm for GW2, did you really have to make a cheap shot at SWTOR? Jabs like that derail good threads.

  8. #48
    Funny, I was one of the WoW haters and talked up EQ2 at the time, now I'm with you on that feeling. Hope I'm right this time and not eating my foot in 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    While I share your enthusiasm for GW2, did you really have to make a cheap shot at SWTOR? Jabs like that derail good threads.
    Nah, Bioware asked for it by making WoW in space instead of something new. A problem made even worse by the timing of the game.

    I didn't see them explicitly ask for it. Keep the game bashing out of these forums. -Edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's nearly impossible to really express how big a revolution that was in WoW. The speed at which combat took place and the responsiveness of... walking forward kinda blew your mind. 8+ years on no one really thinks about this and since memory is totally faulty, we can't really recall what it "felt" like to simply walk in EQ vs. WoW.
    Hah speak for yourself, I absolutely can recall what that game felt like after the absurd amount of time I invested in it before playing WoW. It's that little reason in the back of peoples' minds that causes them to play the new FotM MMO for a few months and come back to WoW, they just don't play as smoothly and the controls aren't nearly as tight and responsive as WoW's. That in conjunction with lack of content and polish is the reason WoW is still so successful in the face of new games that should be far more advanced. It's good to know that ArenaNet is all over those 3 points...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-01-04 at 08:58 PM.

  9. #49
    Stood in the Fire Vlad Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Frostfell.
    Morningthaw for me. Got started under Knucklewalker, moved to Ani, then off to Crunchyfrog and finally took over the guild a couple years into it. Played until 2009, I still miss a lot of the very good things but like many others the guild drama got be too much for me so I left for what was originally going to be a short time but have been searching for a suitable replacement ever since. I have tried several other MMO’s including; WoW, Chronicles of Spellborn, Lineage, AoC, GW, Rift and now ToR but nothing has measured up to the 10 years I spent in AC. I have some high hopes for GW2 because I see a lot of similarities between it and AC and it is as close in style as the MMO I enjoyed the most.
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2012-01-04 at 09:03 PM.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I didn't see them explicitly ask for it. Keep the game bashing out of these forums. -Edge
    As long as the WoW/Blizzard bashers continue to say whatever they want (hell, in this thread even, don't see any warning there) in every goddamn subforum of this site without any kind of repercussions, I'm going to say whatever the fuck I want to express my opinion about that terrible game.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    As long as the WoW/Blizzard bashers continue to say whatever they want (hell, in this thread even, don't see any warning there) in every goddamn subforum of this site without any kind of repercussions, I'm going to say whatever the fuck I want to express my opinion about that terrible game.
    For the sake of clarity: They don't. They get the same kind of warnings and infractions that people who bash other games do. We don't always see every single instance of it so we can't always do something about it. That DOESN'T make it alright for you to do it to another game. Report them when you see it and it will be taken care of. If you continue bashing other games it's going to get you an infraction. Not because of moderator bias or some other BS, but because it's AGAINST THE RULES.

  12. #52
    The Patient Pikevinge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    200
    Didn't notice what section this was in before I started reading, and I thought you were talking about MoP. But yes, I do have a good feeling about GW2 though I still feel like the details are a little lacking and am worried the game might not even make it out this year.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Morningthaw for me. Got started under Knucklewalker, moved to Ani, then off to Crunchyfrog and finally took over the guild a couple years into it. Played until 2009, I still miss a lot of the very good things but like many others the guild drama got be too much for me so I left for what was originally going to be a short time but have been searching for a suitable replacement ever since. I have tried several other MMO’s including; WoW, Chronicles of Spellborn, Lineage, AoC, GW, Rift and now ToR but nothing has measured up to the 10 years I spent in AC. I have some high hopes for GW2 because I see a lot of similarities between it and AC and it is as close in style as the MMO I enjoyed the most.
    Yea it was pretty good. I always been a dilettante when it comes to MMOs. I play intensely and then burn myself out, move to the next. Chronicles of Spellborn was quite good actually- some of the kinks had to be worked out but they never quite got the funding to run with the idea. Interesting little game though.

    Edit: But I actually go back to MMOs after a while though. Heck, I went back to original EQ last year for a couple of months to check out the new stuff/feel. Revisiting Warcraft currently after a 2 year hiatus, and I don't find Cata unpleasant. But I am currently on break from Rift for TOR. Keeps games interesting for me. :d

    Didn't wanna sound like I was bashing.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-01-04 at 09:14 PM.

  14. #54
    What the OP described reminds me a lot of a paradigm shift.
    A paradigm is a viewpoint an entire community shares without questioning it.
    A paradigm shift is a mayor change in this viewpoint.
    An example of a paradigm shift is the change from a geocentric (sun revolves around earth) to heliocentric (earth revolves around sun) viewpoint.

    A paradigm shift isn't a smooth shift, though, it's a crisis situation.
    There are two camps (old versus new as the OP pointed out) who are trying to prove eachother wrong.
    The sad part is that both camps have a different definition about what's right and what's wrong
    Their opinions are completely irreconcilable.

    This is what you are feeling right now.
    The reason why the EQ to WoW shift felt the same is because it was the same, a paradigm shift.
    The reason why nobody knows/cares about it is because our way of thinking completely changed when the paradigm shifted.
    Everything fitted in the WoW paradigm, so people just adjusted their views to it.
    This is why most people don't consider it as much of a change, but more as a logic next step.

    I sincerely hope GW2 will get the chance to cause a paradigm shift in the MMO industry

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikevinge View Post
    Didn't notice what section this was in before I started reading, and I thought you were talking about MoP. But yes, I do have a good feeling about GW2 though I still feel like the details are a little lacking and am worried the game might not even make it out this year.
    Awwww shit you live in Cincinnati, so do I. Also I'm worried the game won't be out this year as well. Waiting another fucking year is going to be brutal.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Awwww shit you live in Cincinnati, so do I. Also I'm worried the game won't be out this year as well. Waiting another fucking year is going to be brutal.
    Let's just say the chances of that are astronomically low.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Let's just say the chances of that are astronomically low.
    The optimist in me says March, month of my birthday, but that is wishful thinking. Maybe June or July?

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Yes that's correct.

    Following is only my theory (it's not official or confirmed): Uhm.. yes.. and no. Item level is the same across the board at level 80. But.. some hard to craft items or those from hard (explorer) mode dunguens may have different stat distribution that suits your playstyle better - yes, PLAYSTYLE not the class. Again, above is just my assumption/prediction/opinion not a fact.
    Yeah, I'm not sure we know where we'll be getting things like crests and marks, and whether or not certain varieties will only be available in explorable dungeons and hard DEs and such, or whether karma vendors (when available) will have all that stuff.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    The optimist in me says March, month of my birthday, but that is wishful thinking. Maybe June or July?
    my money is on the birthday release April 28

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by sindacairion View Post
    my money is on the birthday release April 28
    4 months!?!?!?!


    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •