Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I too am pretty optimistic towards Guild Wars 2. I didn't play MMOs at the time of the WoW alpha, so I've not seen any game 'triumph', and I'd like to see something knock it off it's high horse.

  2. #22
    I was in the Warcraft Alpha. They invited a few EQ guilds to test it. The most striking things about Warcraft at that time were; speed and response.

    It's nearly impossible to really express how big a revolution that was in WoW. The speed at which combat took place and the responsiveness of... walking forward kinda blew your mind. 8+ years on no one really thinks about this and since memory is totally faulty, we can't really recall what it "felt" like to simply walk in EQ vs. WoW.

    Warcraft's most groundbreaking innovations were subtle but you kinda can't imagine games playing differently before it.

    Though I doubt GW2 will ever strike the way Warcraft did, I do think a number of their ideas are enormously forward thinking. Most likely it'll be an important design milestone in some areas as MMOs keep going forward.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Pridefox View Post
    Lol cmon.... I'm as exited for this game as the next guy but it seems a little premature and fan boyish to call it revolutionary. It will be fast paced free and fun but as much as I've seen it doesn't have me thinking it will be a "new tier" of mmo
    Losing the trinity system, stat increases, adding dynamic events and turning them into giant raid bosses in the actual world where everyone can see them is to me a big step outside the traditional mmo.

    However if you want to deeply discuss it there is a thread on it already: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ndard-for-MMOs

    I was in the Warcraft Alpha. They invited a few EQ guilds to test it. The most striking things about Warcraft at that time were; speed and response.
    That is the very first thing I look for in games, which is why I can't play aion :P
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  4. #24
    Really DEs as fail/pass quest chains is new. Lack of a role Trinity is not new, as is non-gear derived progression and open world raid bosses. Some of those things are more "traditional MMO" than unconventional. That's kinda the way MMOs used to be.. again, before Blizzard remade the genre almost wholly.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Really DEs as fail/pass quest chains is new. Lack of a role Trinity is not new, as is non-gear derived progression and open world raid bosses. Some of those things are more "traditional MMO" than unconventional. That's kinda the way MMOs used to be.. again, before Blizzard remade the genre almost wholly.
    /sad panda

    Don't make me link a sad panda!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  6. #26
    Scarab Lord Loaf Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rue d'Auseil
    Posts
    4,559
    On paper Guild Wars 2 looks amazing and could be the next big thing, but can't ever be sure until release.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    /sad panda

    Don't make me link a sad panda!
    Just saying. Asheron's Call, Everquest, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Meridian 59... those were the biggest MMOs of the 1st era. The 2nd era begins at the launch of Warcraft- where Blizz essentially removed the RPG of MMO. Good or bad, I leave up to you.

    But I was in open world raids of 100s of players in EQ to take out bosses, DAOC crossroads had realm v. realm PVP, was no Trinity exploring like a BA in AC and Shadowbane had a dynamic world that changed from server to server in 2003.

    Just everyone forgot how MMOs used to be. :P

  8. #28
    I hope it's just enough of a WoW "copy" that it's easy to use and navigate, and doesn't become the shitfest that Final Fantasy became...

    Sometimes trying to do something "100% new" just means you're taking all the shitty rejected ideas from others...

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Just saying. Asheron's Call, Everquest, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Meridian 59... those were the biggest MMOs of the 1st era. The 2nd era begins at the launch of Warcraft- where Blizz essentially removed the RPG of MMO. Good or bad, I leave up to you.

    But I was in open world raids of 100s of players in EQ to take out bosses, DAOC crossroads had realm v. realm PVP, was no Trinity exploring like a BA in AC and Shadowbane had a dynamic world that changed from server to server in 2003.

    Just everyone forgot how MMOs used to be. :P
    I started in era 2 sadly, (unless runescape counted as era 1). However all the games now seem to copy WoW's format so its a nice change to see in guild wars 2 after so long.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  10. #30
    I think Shadowbane (or maybe M59?) had a fast travel system too! :P

    Hehe, Zito. Get the sad panda.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think Shadowbane (or maybe M59?) had a fast travel system too! :P

    Hehe, Zito. Get the sad panda.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Really DEs as fail/pass quest chains is new. Lack of a role Trinity is not new, as is non-gear derived progression and open world raid bosses. Some of those things are more "traditional MMO" than unconventional. That's kinda the way MMOs used to be.. again, before Blizzard remade the genre almost wholly.
    Yup, this exactly what I am saying. I think GW2 has just the right mix. It's not enough today to just thrown in some "revolutionary" approach to have a successful MMO.

    Back in the day, Blizz made the perfect mixture of things that worked in other games and added whole new layer of depth. We can see similar approach from Anet, they've stepped back and looked at the big picture. They've reached back to the roots, changed perspective and added some crucial and innovative components to create fantastic game.

    Again, GW2 is not a WoW killer, but it will not only have strong impact on the MMO market, but will create a new approach and redefine next MMOs to come.

  13. #33
    Stood in the Fire Vlad Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Really DEs as fail/pass quest chains is new. Lack of a role Trinity is not new, as is non-gear derived progression and open world raid bosses. Some of those things are more "traditional MMO" than unconventional. That's kinda the way MMOs used to be.. again, before Blizzard remade the genre almost wholly.
    Bang on! Everything old is new again! It's been a long dry spell for certain system designs that were truly revolutionary in their day, and I for one am stoked to be able to experience it again in a new MMO. Speaking of AC, what server were you on?

  14. #34
    im not that hyped for it, i guess ill give it ago, but Im not blown away by the preview stuff tbh :S

  15. #35
    I'm too looking forward to GW2, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is the lack of subscription fees for them to fund further development of the game after release. After all they can only get a more or less fixed amount of money from the initial sale of the game. I really want them to succeed so we can have something different in the MMO genre.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who dont.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I'm too looking forward to GW2, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is the lack of subscription fees for them to fund further development of the game after release. After all they can only get a more or less fixed amount of money from the initial sale of the game. I really want them to succeed so we can have something different in the MMO genre.
    OMG its happening again! Where is mif when we need him!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I'm too looking forward to GW2, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is the lack of subscription fees for them to fund further development of the game after release. After all they can only get a more or less fixed amount of money from the initial sale of the game. I really want them to succeed so we can have something different in the MMO genre.
    Would not be to worried about this. The first Guild Wars series sold amazingly well. It's one of the best selling games of it's kind actually.

    Anet have also long had a DLC store for the GW franchise that sells vanity items. Which is pretty big in the GW community- looking cute. Or cool/badass if you are a guy. :s

    Basically, it is a business model that was successful for them in the past and they have a different structure and motivation to play their game entirely.

    Sub fees = chained to your PC timesink nonsense.
    GW2 = ;]

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Speaking of AC, what server were you on?
    Frostfell.

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I'm too looking forward to GW2, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is the lack of subscription fees for them to fund further development of the game after release. After all they can only get a more or less fixed amount of money from the initial sale of the game. I really want them to succeed so we can have something different in the MMO genre.
    Wow lost 2 million subscribers yet is making higher profit thanks to it's cash shop.

    Edit, lets do math.

    2 million players = 30 million a month
    Higher profit thanks to cash shop over 10 million (yeah right) players = $3 a month each player
    $3 a month x 12 months = $36 each player per year
    $36 x 3 million players (a guess of GW2's playerbase) = $108 million a year

    That's not a small amount of money.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-04 at 06:23 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    You ever had this feeling of real calm? Like you have been dealt very good cards?
    ....

    Anyone with similar impression?
    Great analogy. Yep, not only do I have great cards, I also know what everyone else is holding. But I'm not going to bankrupt the table. I'm just going to bid up a decent sized pot and get paid.

    Launch week is going to be so damned fun.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Would not be to worried about this. The first Guild Wars series sold amazingly well. It's one of the best selling games of it's kind actually.

    Anet have also long had a DLC store for the GW franchise that sells vanity items. Which is pretty big in the GW community- looking cute. Or cool/badass if you are a guy. :s

    Basically, it is a business model that was successful for them in the past and they have a different structure and motivation to play their game entirely.

    Sub fees = chained to your PC timesink nonsense.
    GW2 = ;]

    Frostfell.
    Well that's good to know, I'm not into buying vanity stuff myself so let's hope other people are then
    As long they have funds to develop the game I'm fine with whatever business model they chose as long as you can't buy advantages in game for cash.

    Another MMO to wait for then, sigh, hope the wait is going to be worth it.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who dont.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •