Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    i hope that it will not be another wow copy.
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    i hope that it will not be another wow copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    I agree completely.
    Sorry guys, troll forum is the other way. If you actually read some stuff about GW2, you'd know if completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Sorry guys, troll forum is the other way. If you actually read some stuff about GW2, you'd know if completely different.
    Yeah, it's pretty much the anti-WoW in every way imaginable, just as GW1 was and they managed to develop that with a tiny startup company and release it within 6 months of WoW's launch. Think about that for a second, 3 guys from Blizzard started a small studio in 2000 right around when WoW started development, ANet looked at what EQ had done, looked at what Blizzard was doing and even though no one knew what WoW would become at that point, they still created an entirely different kind of online RPG that was and STILL is wholly unique in the online gaming space to this day. By the time ANet was founded they had only a single year to look at the MMO genre and figure out what they didn't like about it. They've now had nearly 12 years to take a step back and take a wide look at the genre, what it has done well and not so well, and all of those ideas are being put into a single game. ArenaNet now has a team that is 250+, which is a MASSIVE increase over the first 7 employees. So if they're capable of putting out an entirely unique experience in the online space with a team of 30, you have to ask yourself what are they capable of with a team that's 8x larger?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    ArenaNet now has a team that is 250+, which is a MASSIVE increase over the first 7 employees. So if they're capable of putting out an entirely unique experience in the online space with a team of 30, you have to ask yourself what are they capable of with a team that's 8x larger?
    World domination?

I'm so beyond tired of the idea that a game has to have more subscribers than WoW to somehow be deemed relevant. It's an idiotic ideal that seems to span far more than games.

I have really high hopes for this game. I hope it doesn't try to cover already-worn ground, and I personally hope it is absolutely ruthless while still making the gamer feel compelled to try again and again. That's something completely missing from the current market (in my experience), and I miss that feeling from the older school games. Call it grind / unneeded / etc, overcoming obstacles is what gives folks a sense of accomplishment in any game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'm so beyond tired of the idea that a game has to have more subscribers than WoW to somehow be deemed relevant. It's an idiotic ideal that seems to span far more than games.

I have really high hopes for this game. I hope it doesn't try to cover already-worn ground, and I personally hope it is absolutely ruthless while still making the gamer feel compelled to try again and again. That's something completely missing from the current market (in my experience), and I miss that feeling from the older school games. Call it grind / unneeded / etc, overcoming obstacles is what gives folks a sense of accomplishment in any game.
    Ah dark souls is the game for you http://ps3.ign.com/objects/086/086623.html

Quote Originally Posted by sindacairion View Post
    Ah dark souls is the game for you http://ps3.ign.com/objects/086/086623.html
    Can't recommend it enough, currently playing it right this very moment. Demon's Souls as well.

Deleted
    Meh I've got a weird relationship with GW2... Sometimes I'm like 'man I hope this gets released soon' and then other times I couldn't care less about the game, I'm just weird I guess :')

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balleuuh View Post
    Meh I've got a weird relationship with GW2... Sometimes I'm like 'man I hope this gets released soon' and then other times I couldn't care less about the game, I'm just weird I guess :')
    I recognize this, I think it's called burnout, I got this too as well. At first i'm all hyped and just type Guild Wars 2 in every search function, the other time i'm completely ''can't be arsed'' and play something else and forget about the game for a week or 2.

I think it's because you try to find all the infromation and gameplay you can, and when ArenaNet stops sending out information for weeks, or months, you get bored and can't be bothered searching for more, until suddenly they release something really awesome, and then you get the hype again, reading and watching the exactly same information and videos as you did 2 months ago just because it's awesome in some way 8D

I've played every top dollar MMO out there.

I'm currently still playing WoW.
    I've played AION for 1.5 years.
    I've played RIFT for a good few months.
    I've played Guildwars 1 from start to end. (My end was about a year ago)
    I've played all the smaller MMO's that have had/still have great succes. (i.e. Maplestory, Runes of Magic, D&D Online, Rohan, Perfect World, Cabal and many more)

Yet I am still a firm believer none of them will even slightly feel or play as Guildwars 2 will.
    I want this game, I want it now and I am convinced i'll drop everything else for at least a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will really need to crack down hard on bots due to it being free.
    Look at runescape for example;
    before the 'bot nuke' 90% of all players botted.
    *shame* I used to play.
    But seriously almost all servers were 1800+/2000 then *BOTNUKEDAY*
    and suddenly most servers are 200-600/2000 except for a trade server with 1400-ish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charvie View Post
    *shame* I used to play.
    and suddenly most servers are 200-600/2000 except for a trade server with 1400-ish.
    It's not really ''free'' and I cringe everytime people say that. It's buy to play, you buy once, play forever 8D

Bots will appear in every game, Guild Wars 2 too as well. But the game being very dynamic where the combat require skills and position and dodging, bots will have hard time being killed due to that very static keyboardturning and backpedalling.

Now don't take me wrong, keyboardturning and backpedalling is not a bad thing to do if played by a human player, but being played by a program will make it very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Charvie View Post
    *shame* I used to play.
    Isn't it a hell of a lot more difficult to bot when the people designing the bots have no idea where content is going to be at any given time? I mean I guess they could farm the random enemies that are out in the world, but I don't see that as being as efficient as dungeons/DEs/etc in terms of obtaining coin/rare materials/gear. I think by design, whether intentionally or unintentionally, bots might have a very hard time gaining any ground in GW2. The bots will have no way of knowing if X boss is going to be in Y area to drop Z items unlike other games where you simply have to wait for it to respawn in the exact same spot on the exact same timer.

Edit: I completely forgot about combat too, I've seen real players get smashed by mobs, how in the hell can a bot expect to not die when mobs kite/dodge/change skills based on what you're doing? It's not like you have a rotation you can throw on a macro and win while standing still.

Deleted
    First, thanks for all the positive feedback!

About boting.
    I completely agree that bots will have harder time to actually function in open world. I foresee trading (selling goods on the market) bots doing bit better, but those who will try other activities might fail. Fights are way more dynamic, also content scaling will add another difficulty as you will never be able to overpower any zone. So farming in low level areas is out of the question. I completely believe in human ingenuity though and we may see some semi-functional bots in GW2 at some later point, but it never should reach critical level.

Hopefully trading bots will be limited due to the cross-server marketplace. I think this will create a healthy supply. Plus the "order" system on the marketplace will help limit bots - it will feel more of a buyers market, than wow's sellers market. Hence lower prices, hence less botting (in theory).

Not to mention that there simply aren't as many tradeable items, as in gear anyway...crafting mats still will be popular...but not to the extent they are in wow for example.

We'll see...