Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Many servers see an increase this last week

Could be just people returning after Christmas, people being bought the game for Christmas, people deciding they don't like SWTOR, who knows and frankly who gives a flying monkies toss. Server populations on a large number of servers are up (ignore Feenring, it's bugged):

Something to refer to when the doomsayers come calling

I think the "doomsayers" are commonly people who either low level or don't play the game any longer. The way Rift is set up- we will never likely see very many low level players in any zone/city. Not an "alt" heavy game. Endgame is also more skewed to raiding so folks log to raid mostly and spend less hours online when not raiding. Nature of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is this data from (website)?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think the "doomsayers" are commonly people who either low level or don't play the game any longer.
    It's a shame that Trion don't put a little more effort into the early game experience. A little more polish would at least get people past the initial hump. Sadly without that polish people never get past the 'Oh this is WoW, familiar and boring' stage and so never experience the wonderful endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zych View Post
    Where is this data from (website)?
    http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/stats

I hope they make a option so i can transfer to US servers.

Deleted
    Sweet =) I felt that more people was joining the game. Actually, I was a bit worried that star wars would take many of the players, but seems like we gained people instead =) I guess cheap steam sale and the cheap game cards made some people join, and also people coming from wow and even star wars already.
    Hope it keeps going =)

Population is still far lower than what it was a month and a half ago. By a ton. Not saying the game is dying but it's not exactly in a great place either. Especially the EU servers from the horror stories I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by EulavValue View Post
    Population is still far lower than what it was a month and a half ago. By a ton. Not saying the game is dying but it's not exactly in a great place either. Especially the EU servers from the horror stories I've heard.
    Got any hard evidence? No I didn't think so, just another nay sayer spreading malicious gossip. Jog on.

Between WoW's 4.3 and ToR's release, if the game didn't have a lower population than a 1.5 months ago, I'd be friggin amazed. By February or March, we'll probably start seeing whether or not the losses are permanent or temporary.

I bought the game in the Steam sale for £4.99 with a months time included, and have been messing about levelling and doing the christmas stuff this last week, I'm enjoying it so far - and it's possible other people are also trying it out like me because of the offers.

I am on Icewatch guardian side EU - when I checked it seemed to be the most populated server - but I have to say compared to the server I play on WoW (Kazzak - also one of the most populated) it's extremely quiet from what I can tell. Like a medium / low pop wow server. There is activity and enough people playing - but I wouldn't say it's exactly busy... thats just my POV though as a newcomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    I am on Icewatch guardian side EU - when I checked it seemed to be the most populated server - but I have to say compared to the server I play on WoW (Kazzak - also one of the most populated) it's extremely quiet from what I can tell. Like a medium / low pop wow server. There is activity and enough people playing - but I wouldn't say it's exactly busy... thats just my POV though as a newcomer.
    I came from Silvermoon, one of the most populated EU servers, made all the busier because 98% of the players on that server were Alliance. In comparison to that, Sanctum in RIFT seems like a ghost town compared to Stormwind in WoW. The thing is though, whenever I want to do anything, there are enough players it's just that they aren't usually in the cities. The game drives people out into the zones for dailies, raids, dungeons, instant adventures and chronicles. It takes an invasion forpeople come out of the wood work and when they do it's crazy, there end up being 3+ raids worth of people stomping about the zone.

No, RIFT is not as populated as WoW. Even the busiest RIFT server is not nearly as busy as the busiest WoW servers. But the idea that the game is quiet is an illusion. RIFT drives people out of the cities and into the game, and you only truly realise how many people are playing once you hit max level and an invasion happens and people come together.

My evidence is anecdotal, but I've noticed this as well on my server. Was a definite downturn for a few weeks, but things are back to being very busy the last few days.

I wish Trion would just release player sub figures. I mean, I your intentions are honorable Tarien, but its not going to stop people knocking the game (unfortunately - I do like the game) and doesnt really say anything. I mean, the website is only going off how long each server is shown at low, medium or high capacities. Its not going off any actual numbers, just ranges of numbers, and an increase in activity doesnt actually mean any more people are playing, they could just be playing longer. And even now, all its showing is that most servers spend more time at low capacity than any other levels.

Put it this way, if I asked you to explain to a naysayer how much the server population had increased from that site, do you think that your response would sound particularly compelling to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    My evidence is anecdotal, but I've noticed this as well on my server. Was a definite downturn for a few weeks, but things are back to being very busy the last few days.
    I think we are on the same shard, Shatterbone. It did seem more people were looking for GB and DH. Which was refreshing. Just hope it picks up a bit more. No major invasions on Embers Isle in the A.M. when I can play. Miss that XP and the inscribed stones.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

I'm super tempted to come back to Rift, I can't even explain why

I am basically waiting to hear some announcement that will pull me back in

I had an account sitting around ticking over which I hadn't thought about until I heard they'd been hacked & I suddenly got a serious reason to pay attention to my Rift account again.

Wouldn't surprise me if that incident gained them a few subscribers back rather than purely losing them subscribers - got people thinking about the game again for the first time in a while. Rift didn't hold my attention the first time around, but it did succeed in being good enough that I'd give it a second chance. They lost me purely because of latency issues caused by ISP misidentifying their traffic as P2P & presumably that's been fixed by now.

So despite the fact my first reaction to the hack was to completely close my account, my second reaction was to want to try the game again & I doubt I'm the only one lol
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2012-01-08 at 02:00 PM.

I have active WoW (Annual sub) & ToR subscription, but since playing ToR i've found myself trying to not login, the leveling areas in that game have been killing me.. ugh its so bad. This has been going on between 20-35 (haven't gone further) though the class quest was good; i'll give them credit for that. As far as raiding goes my mate cleared an entire raid first night no problems and now moving to heroic mode (he didn't do heroic modes in WoW) so i think its kind of easy from what i've seen/been told.

I have also been feeling like going back to Rift, its not a bad game and there is always something to do. I am kind of tempted to hold off going back to Rift until they do a release, which i'm guessing would be around end of this month or next - because no company would release anything when a big anticipated game like SWTOR comes out, you would hold off then release as people get bored of the game :P

Kinda not fair to judge Operation difficulty on normal modes- whihc are intended to be accessible > challenging. Hard modes are indeed, hard.

Edit: LOL thought I was in the SWTOR subforum. Fail boarding.

I plan to resub. I quit a few months ago because I could not stand the performance on my old pc. 10fps in capital cities just suck. Now, with new hardware I got the chance to try the game again for 3 days due to the security issue and the granted free playtime. What can I say: Everything was smooth and good looking, loading times were very short and overall it was a whole new level of fun for me.

EDIT: And I credit Trion for having so much convenience stuff in this game. Appearance tab, UI customization, etc.
    Last edited by Waylander; 2012-01-08 at 09:35 PM.
    Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at!

Deleted
    I must admit I loved Rift so much til I suddenly had the worst case of latency issues I have ever had in any game. The GMs sucked so bad at helping me and tried to blame it on my net (Which it wasnt...) then I heard from several other people in my guild they were having the same problem there ping was continualsly cycling from red to green to orange back to red like a yoyo. So I once again tried to address it and once again was given the old Huho so I quit and although I miss the world events I dont miss randomly getting a 64,000 ms then getting a 65ms then back to 64k.
    Tell Trion to get better GM's and better help for problems and maybe they would have kept some of there older players.