Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    The daily mail is more corrupting and disgusting than the entirity of Murdoch's press. If the Mail dislike SWTOR then they must be doing something right.

Deleted
    Haven't read the thread yet, all I want to say is <3 the Daily Mail. They spurn out more hilarious bullshit than Fox News does.

Deleted
    Its the Daily mail.. What do you expect.

Anyways newspapers are now seen as pretty scummy these days. A dying medium doing anything, including complete fabrication and scaremongering to get you to pay for what is readily free elsewhere.

Deleted
    You can tell that the person who wrote that article had never played that game, and only formed an opinion after reading the comments on the youtube page. It's sad to think that with everything going on in the world at the minute, this person still feels the need to tell us what is right and wrong in a video game. Like people above me have said, I imagine she had no complaints with COD/BF etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    It's the Daily Mail. Most people in the UK know that it is the biggest load of bollocks.

Also dark side = abuse slave (it's a Sith companion), light side = letting her go.
    Yeah, because virtual violence against women is not a valid issue and we can dismiss it simply because the Daily presented it first.

It won't go away, Bioware/EA have money, there are a lot of groups out there that will want a concession. What has Bioware/EA to point to in its defense? Its fans? Sorry, blew that one already, some of their fans have gone out of the way to declare their ignorance/hate/immaturity.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROWASHU View Post
    Yeah, because virtual violence against women is not a valid issue and we can dismiss it simply because the Daily presented it first.

It won't go away, Bioware/EA have money, there are a lot of groups out there that will want a concession. What has Bioware/EA to point to in its defense? Its fans? Sorry, blew that one already, some of their fans have gone out of the way to declare their ignorance/hate/immaturity.
    It's actually not a valid issue no matter who presents it.

You mean things I do in a game shouldn't be translated to real life?

I'm in big trouble....

10+ Year Old Account

You mean VIRTUAL violence against VIRTUAL women.

Besides, its not like you take a stick from the nearest tree and see if she spews candy.

It's really a stupid argument that things like this shouldn't be in game. I will admit that the Teen rating is a bit pushing it (there's a friggen Red Light District, complete with virtual dancers that the Star Wars universe is always happy to have), but the game is about strong moral choice. You can torture a guy too. Nothing that happens to the girl is unique to her, there are similar and worse situations happening to all the characters. It's the universe, deal with it.

If parents can't handle that...don't let the kid play the game. Freedom of Speech will protect the content until whiney babies of the 60's (who did WAY worse than this) complain enough.

Oh, I also won't let my 8 year old son even look at the game, but even he knows that it's a despicable act to do this. It isn't Bioware's fault if a lot of kids are idiots (and the game would have no influence over that whatsoever).
    Last edited by Zyzzyx; 2012-01-05 at 05:11 PM.

Deleted

You are a Sith. The embodiment of pure evil in Star Wars canon. You have the choice in the game of being good or evil. The option to abuse the slave gets you dark side points. The option to free the slave gets you light side points. Sith are dark side, so most Sith players will want to max dark side points out so they will do anything dark side, which abusing the slave falls under.

Also if you are going to bring the gender argument into it, you can play as a female. So the male tyranny over females is a non starter. Also you torture various males as a Sith. So the female 'argument' is a non starter.

My Marauder is only mid 20s...when do I make Vette watch him have sex?

More on topic. Even if every news company in the world grabs this story(possible knowing how the media likes shit like this). All that will happen is the people that aren't even playing swtor will be outraged and those of us that are playing won't care. Just like everything else. Maybe they'll have to give it an M Rating. Would be kinda weird seeing a game "Rated M for Torture and Voyeurism". Or they could do it like the language filter. Check a box in preferences and [Shock] turns into [Tickle].

Anyone taking this article seriously is just kidding themselves. I just finished killing a group of innocent, unarmed people and they're complaining about the fact that Vette has a shock collar. A shock collar that must be removed to continue her story after a certain point, even.

And at which point do you force her to watch you have sex with your dead enemy's wife, again?
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-01-05 at 06:41 PM.

Deleted
    The Daily Mail is a joke. No one other than the BNP in Britain regards its work as journalism. They're a mockery of the British Press.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that the Mail is a trashy newspaper, and I don't object to this sort of "mistreat Vette" content being included in the game - I appreciate games with strong and challenging morality decisions.

However, the fact that many players, both in this thread and elsewhere on the web, find the fictional representation of cruelty/torture to be entertaining and amusing .... well, that speaks volumes about those players. It's nothing more than a strong reinforcement of the stereotypical gamer -- an emotionally immature, teenage boy.

Deleted
    People are retarded.

Deleted
    Daily mail... enough said really.

---------- Post added 2012-01-05 at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    I agree that the Mail is a trashy newspaper, and I don't object to this sort of "mistreat Vette" content being included in the game - I appreciate games with strong and challenging morality decisions.

However, the fact that many players, both in this thread and elsewhere on the web, find the fictional representation of cruelty/torture to be entertaining and amusing .... well, that speaks volumes about those players. It's nothing more than a strong reinforcement of the stereotypical gamer -- an emotionally immature, teenage boy.
    Well the same could then be said about people who watch horror movies.. or any film/tv show with any sort of violence or death in it. Consider your argument before posting. Choosing to do something in a game for amusement/entertainment.. watching others do it for amusement/entertainment.. not much difference here..

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the daily mail? and why is it relevant?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    What is the daily mail? and why is it relevant?
    Daily Mail is a paper in UK which spouts out a load of bullshit.

Deleted
    You can force her to watch you as you do it?
    Cruel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you even reading Dailymail, they are idiots and most of the times know nothing at all what they are talking about. Worst news agent around.

Quote Originally Posted by kojane View Post
    Daily Mail is a paper in UK which spouts out a load of bullshit.
    This x 10000
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-01-05 at 09:14 PM.
    -K