Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KvanCetre View Post
    I started a healer last night. I always roll tank, due to the fact you can never find tanks.

And now... I can never find a healer.

I still think my 50 Powertech will be my main, though.
    That was the exact reason I rolled a Jedi Guardian to start with. Haven't played him in awhile because of being unable to find a healer.

Also, the rotation is quite similar to WoW Prot Warrior, so of course I got bored quickly.

But I absolutely LOVE my bounty hunter! Went DPS Merc though, still having fun....

"History does not allow freedom to be defended by the weak and the timid." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    I didn't read everything but I want to write just something stupid
    Better players dinged 50 earlier, usually better players are good tank or good healers.
    Lot of dps will come soon

Just kidding
    Mission Successful. High 5?

Deleted
    Healers seem to be the shortest in supply in all level ranges that ive noticed, like there are literally none. especially at higher levels. tanks are a dime a dozen on my server throughout the leveling process

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Because of companions, leveling as a tank really became viable, farming as a tank, grinding rep(?) PVPing (taunting players works) etc all works in SWTOR. Bioware planned this. That is why you only need 2 dps to do a flashpoint, not 3. They envisaged the popularity of healing and tanking in the game, so skewed the group orientation in favor of it.

Tanking is no longer something you are punished in other areas of the game for taking up.

You might also be seeing a situation where tanks, either by the type of player they attract (tanks in my experience tended to be much more focused players, giving a lot more time to the game than casual dpsers) or by the mechanics of leveling as a tank (with healer/dps companion you can mow down groups faster and kill elites easier) so you might just be seeing an over population of 50's tanks simply because they are faster at leveling up than other classes.

You also have to take into account, out of all these max level tanks, how many are actually good? I'm still not 50 but running the flashpoints I've noticed a lot of the tanks don't really seem to know how. I'm a powertech myself, but ill respec down my dmg tree from time to time just to get a dps perspective and do some dmg and I see BH tanks shooting their explosive missiles right next to cc'd mobs, or sith juggernauts force jumping to a pack of 6. I guess that's where your legacy name will come to shine, because while tanks might look like they're a dime a dozen I'm sure the pickings for a good one will be a tad slimmer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgetroll View Post
    You also have to take into account, out of all these max level tanks, how many are actually good? I'm still not 50 but running the flashpoints I've noticed a lot of the tanks don't really seem to know how. I'm a powertech myself, but ill respec down my dmg tree from time to time just to get a dps perspective and do some dmg and I see BH tanks shooting their explosive missiles right next to cc'd mobs, or sith juggernauts force jumping to a pack of 6. I guess that's where your legacy name will come to shine, because while tanks might look like they're a dime a dozen I'm sure the pickings for a good one will be a tad slimmer.
    Oh your dead right, i mention that i see tanks literally everywhere. i forgot to mention ive only actually met 2 out of all of them that were actually competnet enough to claim to be one. So 2 out of like loads in the flahspoints ive run over the last few weeks could actually tank, the rest were at the very low low end of ability. as in fucking terrible. Line of sight might as well have been brain surgery
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2012-01-05 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    I didn't read everything but I want to write just something stupid
    Better players dinged 50 earlier, usually better players are good tank or good healers.
    Lot of dps will come soon

Just kidding
    LFMAO!! 5 guildeis are 50 right now, 2 tanks and 2 healers hmmmm maybe something to that

Quote Originally Posted by GallowsZA View Post
    Mission Successful. High 5?
    You DPS?
    "Peace is a lie"

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyratops View Post
    Seems odd, I know you are talking about 50, but there are so few Tanks whilst leveling (and I understand why, it's rather painful without the right abilities). Seems to be plently of healers though (I'm guessing even more at 50?) healing seems to be rather strong whilst leveling - can pretty much solo a lot of the heroic/area content.
    I leveled my Trooper as a tank from 1-50, it really wasn't all that painful, but then again I did get my healer companion at the end of Taris (which for the Republic is the next planet after you leave Coruscant). While killing groups wasn't as fast with the tank healer combo as, let's say, a tank/dps combo most run with, I generally didn't have any down time between groups. I just plowed through stuff. Bad pulls with additional adds for a non-tank/healer combo generally means death, but the tank healer combo just pops a cool-down and rolls on.

As for the main topic here, I think Bioware got the class ability mix right by having all AC's viable for dps, then allowing 3 AC's to have tanking trees and 3 AC's to have healing trees. Also making leveling as a tank or healer viable through the use of companions has also greatly helped having tanks and healers available at the level cap. If you level as a tank or a healer, not only do you know how to use your abilities, but you are most likely collecting the appropriate gear, thus making the transition to end game much easier.

All in all this should be good for the game especially when they release dual speccing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Well Bioware is partially to blame for that.

Guardians/Juggernaut don't get a single ranged attack or pull ability until very late in the game. And even that ability isn't ideal for pulling.

And then they only have a single good AoE attack on a ~10 second cooldown. The remaining abilities are all single-target.

Poor class design imo.
    Do you even play the game or just make stuff up?

OT: Has more people hit 50 there will be more groups being made so more tanks will be needed, so hopefully it will balance out

And yes across all levels healers seem to be the least amount, which is good for me since I have a BH and SI healer

Deleted
    Force Scream, level 3.
    Sabre Throw, level 36 (Generates 3 rage) - not sure how rage isn't useful for tanking, but ok.

Sweeping slash disagrees with you.

You seem to think this is WotLK, where you AoE down the dungeon/flashpoint. Please revisit your facts.
    You might want to revist his post.

He said RANGED not RAGED.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Day View Post
    You might want to revist his post.

He said RANGED not RAGED.
    Which is why he listed 2 ranged abilties. He also said there not good for pulling because apparently generating rage is bad for a tank

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    I do agree on that. I really feel like I need another aoe sweep or something. Either that or they need to buff the threat gen on Saber Throw and Cyclone Slash (JG).
    Take 3 points and invest into Swelling Winds (+30% damage with Force Sweep and 3 second cd reduction) and 3 points into Pacificaion (+15% damage with Force Sweep, Cyclone Slash and Hilt Strike) and AoE packs will stick to you like glue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Which is why he listed 2 ranged abilties. He also said there not good for pulling because apparently generating rage is bad for a tank
    I don't think you quite get it.

Sweeping slash disagrees with you.

You seem to think this is WotLK, where you AoE down the dungeon/flashpoint. Please revisit your facts.
    this was when everyone outgeared the instance, at first a low geared tank could easily be crushed in hcs by constant aoe pulls.

so when you overgear things in swtor, i guess everyone will single target and never aoe everything down huh

stupid wow vs swtor comparision number #3498456 this month.

I dont think you get it both of those are ranged, one builds rage and one costs rage

No, you dont get it. He said the class didn't get a single ranged ability until late in the game that is ideal for pulling and even then it's not ideal for pulling. He is talking about Saber Throw, which generates rage, which is awesome for pulling. But guess what, you get force choke, force scream and taunt pretty early in the game and all of those are also ranged that can be used before or after force charge/smash. It's all about knowing how to pull, using force push to group a ranged, which mob to charge, when to smash, who to CC, marking a kill target and having smart DPS that wait a second. That has nothing to do with class design.

Furthermore, he said the class only has one AOE on a 10 sec CD. He means smash. Smash is not the only AOE, Sweeping Slash is the main form of AOE damage after smash because you can spam it.

It seems to me, LIKE USUAL, the only people bitching about how tanks are played are people who don't know how to play them. This happened in wow with warriors (probably other tanks) as well. People stuck in this AOE mentality need to understand that sometimes a little CC and patience is needed on pulls. Not to mention, LOS, focus fire one mob and single target dps for a few mobs. Crowe says poor class design, I say poor player design. The class is fine, L2P.

So, it seems to me George gets it fine and you have this passion to defend Crowe even though he is completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I dont think you get it both of those are ranged, one builds rage and one costs rage
    Saber Throw is 30m, ranged attack.

Force Scream is 10m, hardly a ranged attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Saber Throw is 30m, ranged attack.

Force Scream is 10m, hardly a ranged attack.
    And I can tell you do not tank as a sith warrior or you're not very good at using the given abilities to tank.

I use force scream on mobs that are not within my AOE range. It is a ranged, threat ability. Period. Saying 10m is hardly ranged is just ignorant. It's ranged.

It's funny. I have a tank and a healer toon, and on my tank toon, I can never find healers, and on my healer toon, I can never find tanks. Murphy's Law at work, clearly. I have to say that outside of flash points, it seems more convenient to roll a healer though, because you don't need any proper tanks for the group quests. As long as you aren't healing a squishy like a sorcerer, you're pretty much good to go once you have a healer in your group of 4.

Granted I have limited experience with flashpoints only having done esseles, hammerpoint and atheis, but why would you want to range pull anything? Even if you LOS ranged the dont come straight to you around the corner, they take the corner wide, like smart people. If you just want to pull a single pat then you always have taunt. Huge range and they stick to you.

I may be new at the game but I am not new at tanking and unless there is something crazy at later levels I dont see the problem with the tools we have... at least as a jedi guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    And I can tell you do not tank as a sith warrior or you're not very good at using the given abilities to tank.

I use force scream on mobs that are not within my AOE range. It is a ranged, threat ability. Period. Saying 10m is hardly ranged is just ignorant. It's ranged.
    I can tell you don't PUG much. I've been tanking Jugg for about a week and a half, when the DPS refuses to either CC or group the mobs up, 10m isn't ranged. It's "god damn it, so close, that's really frustrating" range.

Also, if you're using your Force Scream on CD, don't. You should be saving it for any hard damaging abilities, because again PUGs never interrupt.