Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I know this question has probably been asked a million times and I apologize - but can you sign up for closed beta? Put yourself on the candidates list? And if so, how?

Also... just a question. With all the dodging and everything that you can do in this game, would it make it very latency dependent? I play from Asia, and I get 200-300ms in WoW/SW:TOR and I assume it'd be the same for GW2. I can still play WoW/TOR just fine with this ms, but I fear with a mechanic like dodging, latency would play a huge factor. Should I even bother with this game?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I know this question has probably been asked a million times and I apologize - but can you sign up for closed beta? Put yourself on the candidates list? And if so, how?

Also... just a question. With all the dodging and everything that you can do in this game, would it make it very latency dependent? I play from Asia, and I get 200-300ms in WoW/SW:TOR and I assume it'd be the same for GW2. I can still play WoW/TOR just fine with this ms, but I fear with a mechanic like dodging, latency would play a huge factor. Should I even bother with this game?
    1) no beta sign-ups as of yet, but the devs did say that if they needed more testers they would inform us on how we can participate.
    2) they changed dodge to accommodate those with higher latency as a dodge not only avoids the incoming damage it also makes you immune to damage for ~1-2 seconds.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    2) they changed dodge to accommodate those with higher latency as a dodge not only avoids the incoming damage it also makes you immune to damage for ~1-2 seconds.
    This is one thing that worries me. Dodging and AoE.

If you dodge you're immune to damage, but how can you be immune whilst you're rolling through some fire etc. Like the trebuchet in PvP, if you dodge at the right time, you'll be immune to that giant rock that just landed on you, took out half a building, but you're fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    This is one thing that worries me. Dodging and AoE.

If you dodge you're immune to damage, but how can you be immune whilst you're rolling through some fire etc. Like the trebuchet in PvP, if you dodge at the right time, you'll be immune to that giant rock that just landed on you, took out half a building, but you're fine.
    It's just a necessary game mechanic to compensate for high latency. They also removed interrupting skills (not talking about knock backs/downs) for the same reason.

Does dodge have a CD? How long?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Does dodge have a CD? How long?
    No CD, but it costs energy, I think you can dodge 3 times in a row before you're out of energy. Obviously energy regens, but at how much per sec etc is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    It's just a necessary game mechanic to compensate for high latency. They also removed interrupting skills (not talking about knock backs/downs) for the same reason.
    They removed interrupts in the sense we're used to but still have them through knockbacks/stuns/etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    They removed interrupts in the sense we're used to but still have them through knockbacks/stuns/etc.
    I know that, maybe my post was not clear enough.

Here is a quote from the official GW2 wiki (the source seems to be some french GW2 fansite article about how they met and talked to Izzy)
    Interrupts as they existed in Guild Wars (see here) will not be as prevalent in Guild Wars 2 because of their dependence on low network latency to be used effectively

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    I know that, maybe my post was not clear enough.

Here is a quote from the official GW2 wiki (the source seems to be some french GW2 fansite article about how they met and talked to Izzy)
    Oh no it was clear, I was just making sure people understood that interrupts were still possible, just in a different way.

Deleted
    " You can also interrupt skills, there's a whole priority system for skills & actions that determines what queues & what interrupts. It ends up being super actiony & fun."

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...omethingawful/

There at least seems like there's some kind of interrupt system tbh, and this post is quite legit since he told us about the Mesmer joke and shit before it was up @ a-net.
    This system that he's talking about seems to be very helpful for "low network latency-players", but I donno how it's gonna work... But I like the part "It ends up being super actiony & fun."

Edit: This might mean some whole new concept of interrupting, who knows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    " You can also interrupt skills, there's a whole priority system for skills & actions that determines what queues & what interrupts. It ends up being super actiony & fun."

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...omethingawful/

There at least seems like there's some kind of interrupt system tbh, and this post is quite legit since he told us about the Mesmer joke and shit before it was up @ a-net.
    This system that he's talking about seems to be very helpful for "low network latency-players", but I donno how it's gonna work... But I like the part "It ends up being super actiony & fun."

Edit: This might mean some whole new concept of interrupting, who knows?
    Since he's talking about queuing, I think by interrupt he means you can stop a skill you're using.

Abit late to the party, but fucking wow... this game looks amazing.

Its like everything I ever dreamed wow could be. And no monthly fee??? Wtf... to good to be true...

One question I might have missed, will there be any form of PvE raiding, with rankings and stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVadar View Post
    One question I might have missed, will there be any form of PvE raiding, with rankings and stuff?
    You mean forcing groups of 10-25 into an instance to clear trash and kill 3-4 (often times more) Boss Level NPC'S that no one's ever heard of before you get to the raid boss? No.

There will be event chains that lead up to Big Boss fights (Think bosses bigger than Deathwing) that scale up to hundreds of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Its like everything I ever dreamed wow could be. And no monthly fee??? Wtf... to good to be true...

Idd it does
    The 5-man dungeons are said to be as hard as anything PVE raiding can throw out...and the smaller group will mean more involved and engaging gameplay. In a way...25 people creates the feeling of epicness, whereas it should be the encounter itself.
    But now then...there's the epic DEs, which will feature many more people than PVE raiding (like 100), look amazing and pit you against bosses larger than anything you're likely to have seen
    And the saying that "endgame begins at lvl" really is quite true. Total biscuits videos on youtube show this perfect (the one where he makes a charr)

No raiding, Elite Dynamic Events take the place of raids for large group content, but instead of being instanced it's out in the world for everyone scaling up to 100 people. 5 man dungeons is where you'll find the hardest content in the game, at the Fanday back in June a group of 5 people did a level 35 explorable dungeon and 4-5 hours later, the devs helping them out, and even cheating by allowing a 6th player in there were able to finally beat it. I expect them to implement Challenge Missions from GW1 at some point, however it may be difficult considering each dungeon has at least 3 paths and Dynamic Events inside of that make for random encounters.

Only way I could see a Challenge Mission system working is if they were to look at what path a group picked and then take into account the event that spawn during the dungeon run and then take the time you get along with the event variables, then post to a leaderboard. You'd need quite a fair amount of specific leaderboards to account for all of the different possible versions of a dungeon you could see, but it's doable.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Challenge_Missions for reference. I'd like to see Challenge Missions put into GW2, it's just a question of will it happen or not.

Only way I could see a Challenge Mission system working is if they were to look at what path a group picked and then take into account the event that spawn during the dungeon run and then take the time you get along with the event variables, then post to a leaderboard. You'd need quite a fair amount of specific leaderboards to account for all of the different possible versions of a dungeon you could see, but it's doable.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Challenge_Missions for reference. I'd like to see Challenge Missions put into GW2, it's just a question of will it happen or not.
    I don't think it's doable with all the dynamic events that are going on there. They could leave those out of the challenge modes and you would have 3 ladders for each dungeon - depending on the path you chose beforehand. I can see this happening. It would be interesting, seeing groups of guardians-only to be found on the top ranks, or other funny compilations that weren't thought possible to get there.

You would experience yourself, watching those leaderbords, that it is true what the developers claimed: choice of class doesn't matter, skill matters.

We know ranking systems are going to be in wvwvw...and that apparently has some DEs in it. It's really hard to say how this could work...too many variables.
    PVP rankings just seem to be based on who won. Unless DEs all have similar difficulty levels and a smilar amount appear in runs...it's hard to see how challenge missions could be ranked.
    Maybe there are just x number of possible DEs in a path each correspondingly difficult...and ur just ranked on if u win or not...or how many runs...v hard to say a this stage I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Since he's talking about queuing, I think by interrupt he means you can stop a skill you're using.
    That actually makes a lot more sense to me, haha :P

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    We know ranking systems are going to be in wvwvw...and that apparently has some DEs in it. It's really hard to say how this could work...too many variables.
    PVP rankings just seem to be based on who won. Unless DEs all have similar difficulty levels and a smilar amount appear in runs...it's hard to see how challenge missions could be ranked.
    Maybe there are just x number of possible DEs in a path each correspondingly difficult...and ur just ranked on if u win or not...or how many runs...v hard to say a this stage I guess.
    Think about it this way, say you go into the Catacombs for a Challenge Mission, from what we know there's content up till a certain point in this particular dungeon where you eventually pick the path you want to take. So once you zone in the timer starts, you eventually get to the point to choose a path and choose Path B. So you're going through an events are happening and what not, you eventually finish and the timer stops. Then the game would take into account the path you chose and all of the random variables that took place and post your team's time to that specific leaderboard.

Something like Catacombs - Path B - Ogre/Giant ghost/snake boss 2 hours 25 min 43 sec

So very specific leaderboards that are subsets of the Catacombs leaderboards, it would have to be well laid out so it didn't look too messy but I could see it working.

No raiding, Elite Dynamic Events take the place of raids for large group content, but instead of being instanced it's out in the world for everyone scaling up to 100 people. 5 man dungeons is where you'll find the hardest content in the game, at the Fanday back in June a group of 5 people did a level 35 explorable dungeon and 4-5 hours later, the devs helping them out, and even cheating by allowing a 6th player in there were able to finally beat it. I expect them to implement Challenge Missions from GW1 at some point, however it may be difficult considering each dungeon has at least 3 paths and Dynamic Events inside of that make for random encounters.

Let me say I could be wrong in the following, as they might capture the essence of what I mean in Dynamic events or whatever but...

One of the major factors that made WoW great was the community built around raiding. The driving force was people that wanted to improve their status compared to the rest of the server/community There were many flaws in the concept, like making gear the reward, making it 25 player, shitty lockout system or whatever. But the awesomeness of it still came through, and gave birth to a massive community surrounding it. Things that 90% of players take for granted like EJ, massive addon support sites, massive fan based forums, wowarmory. All where made viable becuase of that community.

Obviously that isnt for everyone, but if Guild Wars 2 could capture this community which is based on progression compared to others, maybe in like 5 man dungeons which are ranked, the ranking are done professionally by the game devs, and there are rewards like a massive amount of coin or rare mounts or whatever, it would be one more awesome thing to add to the game.
    Last edited by TheVadar; 2012-01-17 at 11:15 PM.