Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVadar View Post
    Let me say I could be wrong in the following, as they might capture the essence of what I mean in Dynamic events or whatever but...

One of the major factors that made WoW great was the community built around raiding. The driving force was people that wanted to improve their status compared to the rest of the server/community There were many flaws in the concept, like making gear the reward, making it 25 player, shitty lockout system or whatever. But the awesomeness of it still came through, and gave birth to a massive community surrounding it. Things that 90% of players take for granted like EJ, massive addon support sites, massive fan based forums, wowarmory.

Obviously that isnt for everyone, but if Guild Wars 2 could capture this community which is based on progression compared to others, maybe in like 5 man dungeons which are ranked, the ranking are done professionally by the game devs, and there are rewards like a massive amount of coin or rare mounts or whatever, it would be one more awesome thing to add to the game.
    I think it's a great way to have the competitiveness, without it being a requirement. If you don't want to do speed runs to place on the leaderboard, then you don't have to, and if you don't you won't lose anything of value. It still keeps with ANet's philosophy of everyone can do everything without content gating, but keeps a sense of competitiveness in there for those who want it, but doesn't reward them with anything other than bragging rights. The key would be that those who did take part in say Challenge Missions, they wouldn't gain anything extra from it other than being able to say they did it and point it out through leaderboards. If you put ANYTHING in there as an exclusive incentive, you then lose the entire philosophy that ANet has been working to create.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-01-17 at 11:19 PM.

Deleted
    GW1 had timed missions etc, though I'm not sure of the rewards since I never really went for them.

I'm sure they could do timed mission/dungeons again and at the end of the day who ever has the fastest time gets some short of bag of goodies. It adds the competitve PvE for people that want it, but unlike WoW etc you won't be rewarded with awesome gear, more maybe some vanity armour/weapons/pet etc

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    GW1 had timed missions etc, though I'm not sure of the rewards since I never really went for them.

I'm sure they could do timed mission/dungeons again and at the end of the day who ever has the fastest time gets some short of bag of goodies. It adds the competitve PvE for people that want it, but unlike WoW etc you won't be rewarded with awesome gear, more maybe some vanity armour/weapons/pet etc
    WoW has it next expansion in replace of "heroic dungeons".

It'll be

Heroic dungeons
    Challenge mode dungeons

No normals.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping that the big boss dynamic events will put a sense of community in guild wars 2 across the entire server.

"We only have 80 people out here we can't kill it! Get everyone in all your guilds together in this!"
    Screenshot of 100s of players finally downing the elder dragon

(Then the server crashes)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthedbear View Post
    I'm hoping that the big boss dynamic events will put a sense of community in guild wars 2 across the entire server.

"We only have 80 people out here we can't kill it! Get everyone in all your guilds together in this!"
    Screenshot of 100s of players finally downing the elder dragon

(Then the server crashes)
    100 people isn't going to crash the servers when the game can handle over 600 per map in WvWvW. Hell, GW1 can handle 100 people in a single area perfectly fine.

I really like what I've seen of GW2 so far, with one exception - those little cutesy elf gnomes. I can't see a screenshot of them without going "oh come on, what were the designers thinking?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I really like what I've seen of GW2 so far, with one exception - those little cutesy elf gnomes. I can't see a screenshot of them without going "oh come on, what were the designers thinking?"
    Every stop to think that some people like playing those races?
    Just because you don't like them, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be included in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Every stop to think that some people like playing those races?
    Just because you don't like them, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be included in the game.
    Ever stop to think I was only speaking for myself? Cause, you know, I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post

GW has challenge missions. There was a leaderboard for each day, month, and all time I believe. I kind of hope they put something similar into GW2 as it does have a pve competitiveness to them for those that don't want their competitive nature fulfilled by pvp.

They're really not "cutesy" though. They're arrogant leetist jerks to a great extent asura society is incredibly competetive...they all constantly compete to prove they're smarter than everyone else, and have little moral conpunction about how to do it.
    You should read more lore on them. They're really an awesome race

I love the Asura attitude but not really a fan of their looks. I always hated the gnomes in every game and book that I've read and Asura have a similar look. But I suppose the small stature of them is to create that Napoleon complex that they have.

Still, not my favorite race but by no means do I hate them.

Deleted
    Give me the fucking game already so i can quit real life

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    They're really not "cutesy" though. They're arrogant leetist jerks to a great extent asura society is incredibly competetive...they all constantly compete to prove they're smarter than everyone else, and have little moral conpunction about how to do it.
    You should read more lore on them. They're really an awesome race
    Oh, I was only talking about their looks. I think the lore I've read so far is mostly good. I just wish they'd chosen different aesthetics for the elfgnomes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I was only talking about their looks. I think the lore I've read so far is mostly good. I just wish they'd chosen different aesthetics for the elfgnomes.
    don't judge them by looks alone, their animations are what really captivate many people.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

I quite like them
    It's like they're all "gizmo" on the outside....but "gremlin" on the inside

From what I saw GW2's art has some korean MMO feel. It looks quite nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Hear this alot...
    Where's the asian MMO influence?
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/art/concept-art/
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/screenshots/

Looks more european to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    WoW has it next expansion in replace of "heroic dungeons".

It'll be

Heroic dungeons
    Challenge mode dungeons

No normals.
    They're introducing timed sidekicked (in terms of gear) dungeon runs in WoW, yes, but they're not removing normals. Please don't spread misinformation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Probably you've watched the G-star movies whom are showing it with a more asian design. Watch Gamescom videos or something

Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Probably you've watched the G-star movies whom are showing it with a more asian design. Watch Gamescom videos or something
    I'd like to add to this that it's possible to make an Korean character if you like to. The armors all appear in game but are higher armors, so it may take a while before you're able to get them and during the character customization you have the opportunity to have a Korean faced character.