Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So many logical fallacies and half ass assumptions I am simply shocked. Good write up OP, but still has not changed my opinion that free to play is trash. Hopefully I will be proven wrong, but over time these free to play games have been known to be trash and aimed at pleasing only players with the most money.
    No it's not free to play, its buy to play.

Not to mention all of GW1 was buy to play and had 3 stand alone expansions and eye of the north with content patches in between and still going on now. Your opinion is based on false facts.

Hello,

please explain how are the servers going to be? the usual wow type? some PvE some PvP some RP? or some other system?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Hello,

please explain how are the servers going to be? the usual wow type? some PvE some PvP some RP? or some other system?
    The game is PvP focused, so no PvE servers. All server participate in WvWvW on even terms. I've heard some talks about RP servers but they wont be present on launch. So yeah, only PvP using wow terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    The game is PvP focused, so no PvE servers. All server participate in WvWvW on even terms. I've heard some talks about RP servers but they wont be present on launch. So yeah, only PvP using wow terms.
    The game is not "PvP focused", no. And that has nothing to do with server reasoning. You can guest to any server, so you can do anything you want from any server you want except WvW (for obvious reasons, guesting to the winning team would be silly and imbalanced)
    There will not be official RP servers at any point, from what Anet has said. Or any other server 'types'. There will be an unofficial RP server located on Tarnished Coast, but that's about it.

Thx, ok.
    So on the 25, when I will start, I will have to make sure I start on the same server as my friends. Only this concern, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Thx, ok.
    So on the 25, when I will start, I will have to make sure I start on the same server as my friends. Only this concern, correct?
    Pretty much, and even then the concern is only there if you want to play WvW together (which I assume you do, but just wanted to point it out)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The game is not "PvP focused", no. And that has nothing to do with server reasoning. You can guest to any server, so you can do anything you want from any server you want except WvW (for obvious reasons, guesting to the winning team would be silly and imbalanced)
    There will not be official RP servers at any point, from what Anet has said. Or any other server 'types'. There will be an unofficial RP server located on Tarnished Coast, but that's about it.
    Are you some kind of developer for Anet or something? I like the game but it clearly sacrifices some of the most usual PvE options for PvP accessibility. You are not even required to level to a specific level to participate in both of the PvP activities, and you dont even benefit from the PvE part in any way if you just do sPvP. I'm not saying that PvE is nonexistant in GW2, but the options are limited compared to most of the other MMOs on the market, PvP options on the other hand are a lot more developed.

Are you some kind of developer for Anet or something? I like the game but it clearly sacrifices some of the most usual PvE options for PvP accessibility. You are not even required to level to a specific level to participate in both of the PvP activities, and you dont even benefit from the PvE part in any way if you just do sPvP. I'm not saying that PvE is nonexistant in GW2, but the options are limited compared to most of the other MMOs on the market, PvP options on the other hand are a lot more developed.
    The only thing, pve-wise, that GW2 doesn't have is raids. So no, it's not PvP focused.

I disagree. From my experience, PvE and PvP in Guild Wars 2 is like two different sides of the game, but you can do both, and they both hub up equal parts of the game. I would say that the PvE part of the game is just as developed as the PvP part.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    The only thing, pve-wise, that GW2 doesn't have is raids. So no, it's not PvP focused.
    It doesnt have raids, doesnt have gear progression, doesnt have anything to do at max level. I'm fine with that. I'm playing it for PvP and I'm glad that I dont have to play two different games really since I like them both. Kind of reminds me of SWTOR which had amazing story until maxlevel but then - nothing.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I disagree. From my experience, PvE and PvP in Guild Wars 2 is like two different sides of the game, but you can do both, and they both hub up equal parts of the game. I would say that the PvE part of the game is just as developed as the PvP part.
    I agree. Basically two different games, but PvE one mostly has a single player feel with coop mode.

It doesnt have raids, doesnt have gear progression, doesnt have anything to do at max level. I'm fine with that. I'm playing it for PvP and I'm glad that I dont have to play two different games really since I like them both. Kind of reminds me of SWTOR which had amazing story until maxlevel but then - nothing.
    It has plenty to do at max level, the difference is that it is not significantly different to what you have been doing while leveling. Some people are fine with that, some people are not. That doesn't = nothing to do at max level.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 12:21 AM ----------

I agree. Basically two different games, but PvE one mostly has a single player feel with coop mode.
    Gear progression != content, PvE or otherwise. It does have stuff to do at max level, the same stuff you were doing before. Specifically for 80, you have: Orr, dungeons (3 specific to level 80 + their exp modes), crafting (particularly, legendaries) -> legendaries take 200 skill points, which is a lofty goal. So the only thing it doesn't have, content-wise, is raids. Plus, there is still gear progression - at 85, first there's progression until you get exotic (orange) gear, and then there's horizontal progression to get the look you want, as well as the exact set that has the stat combination you want.
    Last edited by rhandric; 2012-08-22 at 05:55 PM.

Gear progression != content, PvE or otherwise. It does have stuff to do at max level, the same stuff you were doing before. Specifically for 80, you have: Orr, dungeons (3 specific to level 80 + their exp modes), crafting (particularly, legendaries) -> legendaries take 200 skill points, which is a lofty goal. So the only thing it doesn't have, content-wise, is raids. Plus, there is still gear progression - at 85, first there's progression until you get exotic (orange) gear, and then there's horizontal progression to get the look you want, as well as the exact set that has the stat combination you want.
    Dude, this is your opinion, this is how you see it. I respect that. But it's at least unfair to tell such things to people who are only famillar with WoW (or didnt play anything like that before) and wont get it the way it actually is. You dont need to tell people that something they are looking for is not there because otherwise they wont buy the game. It's fine if they dont buy. At least they wont be crying all over the forums about how much GW2 is hyped up and how it didnt meet their expectations.

Dude, this is your opinion, this is how you see it. I respect that. But it's at least unfair to tell such things to people who are only famillar with WoW (or didnt play anything like that before) and wont get it the way it actually is. You dont need to tell people that something they are looking for is not there because otherwise they wont buy the game. It's fine if they dont buy. At least they wont be crying all over the forums about how much GW2 is hyped up and how it didnt meet their expectations.
    Dude (I feel like this is a '90's sitcom), I'm just trying to explain that while in your opinion there may not be content, but a) gear != content, and b) there's plenty of content in GW2. If you don't want to be told what content there is, then that's your prerogative, but saying there is none when what there is has been explained (to the extend we know of at this point) is just wrong.

Oh for crying out loud.

PVE = Player Vs Enviroment
    PVE =/= instanced 25 player scripted boss fight

The entire world is PVE content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Oh for crying out loud.

PVE = Player Vs Enviroment
    PVE =/= instanced 25 player scripted boss fight

The entire world is PVE content.
    Then how does one get to be a special snowflake? /sarcasm

Dude (I feel like this is a '90's sitcom), I'm just trying to explain that while in your opinion there may not be content, but a) gear != content, and b) there's plenty of content in GW2. If you don't want to be told what content there is, then that's your prerogative, but saying there is none when what there is has been explained (to the extend we know of at this point) is just wrong.
    I've never said that there is no content. I just said that the focus is on PvP (which is true and has been stated by the devs) and PvE content lacks the usual options which are present in most MMOs available today - being the nonexistance of endgame in the usual meaning (wont get into discussion here, but it's not a bad thing), gear progression in the usual meaning (looks-wise progression is still here but most people are used to stat progression) and doesnt have raids which is not a bad thing either. So now tell me: what does the lack of PvE content has to do with what I'm trying to say?

I've never said that there is no content. I just said that the focus is on PvP (which is true and has been stated by the devs) and PvE content lacks the usual options which are present in most MMOs available today - being the nonexistance of endgame in the usual meaning (wont get into discussion here, but it's not a bad thing), gear progression in the usual meaning (looks-wise progression is still here but most people are used to stat progression) and doesnt have raids which is not a bad thing either. So now tell me: what does the lack of PvE content has to do with what I'm trying to say?
    Show me where the devs have said that their focus is PvP. I've read everything, or close to everything, the devs have written - from the days of GW1 release. Again, the only thing not in GW2 from a PvE POV is raids and the gear treadmill. Their focus is to put out a damned good game, for PvEers and PvPers alike. Plain and simple.

So now tell me: what does the lack of PvE content has to do with what I'm trying to say?
    There is no lack, which is what people are trying to tell you. There is plenty of PvE content. Just because YOU don't want to do it because it doesn't give you stat upgrades doesn't mean it's not there.

Anyone remember the site with a calculator for traits and such? I cant find it again, a couple of days ago the site said it was being under update. Anyone know what I mean?
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!