Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

I have this feeling again..

You ever had this feeling of real calm? Like you have been dealt very good cards?

I had the same feeling over 8 years ago when WoW's alpha was running. Many of you may not remember or simply weren't "there", but WoW was taking a lot of heat from haters. It was suppose to fail within months.

Blizzard did not invent MMO games as many think. There were other games back then, but the one with biggest number of subscribers was Everquest. Although MMO market was many times smaller, the proportions were similar - EQ ruled. So when Blizz decided to convert one of its franchise to new genre there were doubts everywhere. Although Blizz did took many "working things" from other titles, there was loads of innovations that made many people cringe.

I remember how first official WoW forum looked like, it was filled with topics like "x thing will not work" or "EQ have done this and that better" where handful of fans tried to explain why this game is not destined to fail. I remember really long topics about questing, progression and balance. Endless arguing and collision of New(WoW) vs Old(EQ). Despite that I felt everything is ok, cause back then team that worked on WoW displayed tenacity and conviction. I knew that this game was going to rock.

So, here we are, 2012. Looking at Guild Wars 2, I get the same feeling. No amount of "GW2 must have X or Y" topics will shake it. Anet have uncompromising approach to their game. They are not afraid to go back to something that doesn't fit and redo it completely (sylvari, asura, class revamps etc). I get the same vibe as it was with blizz so long time ago, they are set to prove that there is still room for innovation. Believe it or not but before WoW it was common opinion that you can't get much more creative with MMOs any more, upgrading the graphics was the only way to improve. Now, most people also think that MMO game needs X, Y and Z to succeed or otherwise it's doomed to fail - and again, things will change.

So just like 8 years ago, I just sit back and relax waiting for GW2 release day, cause I know this game is going to rock and change how people define MMO games.

Anyone with similar impression?

Deleted
    i hope that it will not be another wow copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    You ever had this feeling of real calm? Like you have been dealt very good cards?

I had the same feeling over 8 years ago when WoW's alpha was running. Many of you may not remember or simply weren't "there", but WoW was taking a lot of heat from haters. It was suppose to fail within months.

Blizzard did not invent MMO games as many think. There were other games back then, but the one with biggest number of subscribers was Everquest. Although MMO market was many times smaller, the proportions were similar - EQ ruled. So when Blizz decided to convert one of its franchise to new genre there were doubts everywhere. Although Blizz did took many "working things" from other titles, there was loads of innovations that made many people cringe.

I remember how first official WoW forum looked like, it was filled with topics like "x thing will not work" or "EQ have done this and that better" where handful of fans tried to explain why this game is not destined to fail. I remember really long topics about questing, progression and balance. Endless arguing and collision of New(WoW) vs Old(EQ). Despite that I felt everything is ok, cause back then team that worked on WoW displayed tenacity and conviction. I knew that this game was going to rock.

So, here we are, 2012. Looking at Guild Wars 2, I get the same feeling. No amount of "GW2 must have X or Y" topics will shake it. Anet have uncompromising approach to their game. They are not afraid to go back to something that doesn't fit and redo it completely (sylvari, asura, class revamps etc). I get the same vibe as it was with blizz so long time ago, they are set to prove that there is still room for innovation. Believe it or not but before WoW it was common opinion that you can't get much more creative with MMOs any more, upgrading the graphics was the only way to improve. Now, most people also think that MMO game needs X, Y and Z to succeed or otherwise it's doomed to fail - and again, things will change.

So just like 8 years ago, I just sit back and relax waiting for GW2 release day, cause I know this game is going to rock and change how people define MMO games.

GW2 is following the rule of looking at the fun aspects of the MMO and removing/reworking the things they see as flaws (holy trinity, gear treadmill, "waiting to have fun", more reactive combat, monthly fees, ect.) most importantly they are trying something new which is enough for me to get it a try :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    It won't, in fact a few threads here are worries it will be too different from wow
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-04 at 10:20 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

Funnily, as far as aesthetics (graphics) go, GW1 is still unmatched in MMO world imho.

Anyway, I think that arenanet isn't positioning GW2 as a direct competitor with WoW/SWTOR. It is positioning it as a game that you can play alongside these two. Lack of monthly subscription is the key element in this strategy.

I first took a look at GW2 around a year ago. I mean, a REALLY good look at it, analyzing all the videos, interview, blog posts, all up to now so far. Looking at it, and looking back to when I first started WoW. It's like looking at the invention of something akin to the first automobile, and thinking, this is how far we've come, a new era is coming. Even now I'm finding it hard to explain with words, just looking at the game in it's entirety, I just feel, like a new wave of gaming, and games in general, is about it rock us all.

I really do think GW2 is the next evolution of the MMO as WoW was to EQ1. Some people can't see it, some people want to deny it, but it's coming. GW2 is in the EXACT spot WoW was, EQ was faltering, WoW swooped in with drastic changes and streamlined systems and exploded, GW2 is in the exact same position right this very moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    Don't feed the trolls.

@OP

I like the way you're thinking, people are waiting for this game for so long, and that can cause a lot of comments/drama/trolling.

People are so into letting everyone know what their opinion is, that they forget the way they should tell their opinion. Or just don't speak at all. So yes, I hope more people are like you, sit back, relax and kick-ass when the game comes out.

I am not that optimsitic about this game but because maybe i have a thing with pistols + magic benig at the same time... well we'll see how will it be
    I'm either too drunk or not drunk enough...

Guild Wars 2 does look pretty revolutionary. It's a standard recipe for success in today's gaming world. Removing the trinity is pretty much the most revolutionary thing about it. Sadly, I'm not into any of these things. I like the old school and inherently flawed tanking/dpsing/healing system, I like talent trees that have cookie cutter builds, I don't like abilities depending on the type of weapon I equip etc. It's far too different from what I'm used to an mmorpg being, and that is not suitable for me. My mmo experience pretty much started with wow and will probably end with TOR. But I think it will be a good and successful game, nonetheless.

I like this thread

Never played Everquest nor played WoW from beta, but I see clearly what you mean. Let the trolls troll I say. People will always fear change, but I could care less of WoW fanboys trying to deny what's not deniable.

Whilst I've been looking at GW2 for a while, I don't know all there is to know about it yet - to be truthful, I've avoided some bits just so that I don't know all about it on release day.

That said, my personal take on it is that it seems ArenaNet have literally rethought this MMO from the ground up. I play other MMO's, and each and every time something I come across in them that annoys me makes me think "Ah, yes, but that won't be so in GW2, because <insert reason here>".

There's a video doing the rounds that I've seen, where another very well known MMO is compared to GW2, and one sees a guy about to do one of the "Get X of Y from Z mob" quests, and someone else comes in to do the same. Original guy gets put out, and ends up going somewhere else to get his items.

That video, like playing other games, makes me remember the quote I read from ArenaNet... "You should never be unhappy to see another player in the game world".

This - in my humble opinion, nails it 110%... we all play other games, and, I'm sure a fair number of us may come across situations where we see another player, and in the back of our minds say "dang". In a Massively Multiplayer Online game - that *should* be built around playing *with* other people and enjoying the content *together*. Yet the inherent game design does not always make that advantageous or good.

GW2 seems to have looked at all these possible scenarios, and solved them. You're mining/herbing, someone else comes along? No problem, you each get that node. You're questing, and someone else comes along? No problem, kill stuff together and everyone gets (note, not *shares*) loot. You're wandering along, and a DE pops up? You will *WANT* other players there to help complete it.

I am so looking forward to this game - I do hope, though, that everyone playing can pause quickly and remember that the game is so designed, that meeting others in the world will be a positive, not negative thing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evsizpire View Post
    I am not that optimsitic about this game but because maybe i have a thing with pistols + magic benig at the same time... well we'll see how will it be
    Well, it worked out pretty good for WoW . But honestly, I admit that GW2 is mixing magic and technology pretty heavily - personally, I do feel that it fits game's lore and general outline.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion
    Guild Wars 2 does look pretty revolutionary. It's a standard recipe for success in today's gaming world. Removing the trinity is pretty much the most revolutionary thing about it. Sadly, I'm not into any of these things. I like the old school and inherently flawed tanking/dpsing/healing system, I like talent trees that have cookie cutter builds, I don't like abilities depending on the type of weapon I equip etc. It's far too different from what I'm used to an mmorpg being, and that is not suitable for me. My mmo experience pretty much started with wow and will probably end with TOR. But I think it will be a good and successful game, nonetheless.
    Straight and honest. I like that. There will be many people who will not even consider GW2 and I'm not only talking about WoW players - believe it or not, but there are groups of people in GW1 that will not switch to GW2 due to sequel being radically different. It's obvious that if something is different and new it doesn't automatically makes it better, that's why people have many doubts. I do believe though, GW2 will deliver.

Please note, I'm not crowning GW2 as a WoW killer, but this game will definitively have major impact on the MMO market.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    My MMO experience also started with wow, but don't you feel like you have gotten enough of mechanics like that and are ready to move forward? For instance, I am playing swtor since the first day of early access and have gotten only to the level 25 with my trusty scoundrel. The story is cool and all, but I can't shake this "been there done that" feeling everywhere I go. That makes me really excited for gw2, because it seems like a breath of fresh air to the mmo market. It seems like this game will be the first one that will truly break out of the traditional/wow-like MMO paradigm and gain mainstream success. Don't want to fanboy or anything, but so far mostly everything I've seen/read/heard about this game, has blown me away.

I do agree. I just very much hope the game is challenging --- and doesn't inherit the "I PAY FOR THE GAME THEREFORE I SHOULD SEE IT ALL" philosophy every other game in the world has nowadays.

There was a time when companies were not afraid to make even questing hard (hell - even wow's quests required a group or some class knowhow a while ago), I just hope that Guild Wars 2 also has this resolve. Like Guild Wars 1 also did (Guild Wars 1, was a challenging and satisfying game - hell it still is, and they didn't turn their back on it).

Elsewise I may actually move to Eve - seemingly the only game that stays true to its customers and will retain a high difficulty for its lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem whatsoever is GW2 is ..I can't find enough endgame content, but it's GW2 not WoW :P . WoW is not failing, Blizz did so something crazy to doing MMOS than RTS (They still have starcraft 2 for that) but it worked. They rule the MMO Market, with alot of contenders at hand coming (Tera,GW2,SW:TOR, and you never know when other games make comebacks) it gives more challenge, more challenge for WoW means more content. GW2 is definately a contender, but whether it will over-rule it? That's a question for us, and fate to decide. However, GW2 looks impressive, I hope it means my standards..though showing too much good-looking content and not making it look/feel nice in the end, is bad, like Cata..I was so excited..then it felt like a normal expac..hell WOTLK was more exciting, and BC is always the most exciting (Since it's the first expac).

but in short, Guild Wars 2 will definately make it's shine and steal WoW's Thunder, will it take it's throne however? ..We'll see.
    Howay the lads!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in furiously waiting mode inside, but in real life I just wait for it I think it looks like it will change the MMO genre, as you, and I really hope it will.

I like the idea of GW2. It's the anti WoW. I can play WoW for my raiding, and GW2 for my adventuring.

WoW gets dull the more you know about it. You start off exploring and having fun. Then you hit end game, get your knowledge together and discover all the WoW sites. Nothing will ever surprise you again. Everything is spoiled and dissected long before you ever see it. You can try and avoid spoilers all you want, but the reality is you know what's happening. There'll be some questing, some collecting and some killing. There'll be a set of zones. There'll be some dungeons and raids. There'll be a new set of gear to collect every 6 months. It's formulaic. And Blizzard haven't been able to break away from it. It's making money, so why should they. If anything a loss of subs should have given them a big kick up the arse, but instead they just try and make up "lost" revenue with the mount/pet store and charges for editing a field in a database.

I now log in just for raid nights, pretty much. I'm having fun while doing it, but I can't suddenly decide to play it. It's all done at pre-arranged times.

Twas actually a nice read, haha.

I'm REALLY confident that GW2 will be a big success.

I am Arazen and I approve this post. Somebody give him CB access and all people who approved his post.

Lol cmon.... I'm as exited for this game as the next guy but it seems a little premature and fan boyish to call it revolutionary. It will be fast paced free and fun but as much as I've seen it doesn't have me thinking it will be a "new tier" of mmo