Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Could Bethesda make a Skyrim MMO (Elder Scrolls) in the future?

Considering the massive critical and commercial success of Skyrim, an Elder Scrolls MMO seems like a logical progression. However, I'm not sure how profitable it would actually be considering the large development costs and the stiff competition in the market. On the positive side, they would not have to develop everything from scrarch, the core storyline and game mechanics are already in place.

They could go with a Fallout MMOFPS instead to compete with Titan, but The Elder Scrolls seems like a more suitable candidate. Sadly, I think turning it into an MMO might ruin an amazing game and turn it into....no...the horror....WoW! and as they also say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. And clearly Skyrim isn't broken.

Thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure they could, but why would you? We've already done everything in the entire province.

They'd be better off just cloning it into Sommerset Isles or Hammerfall.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather not. I'm afraid it would ruin the elder scrolls series.
    Last edited by mööh; 2012-01-11 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elder Scrolls has and most probably always be a single player RPG series, thought about it also but came too the conclusion that it's best suited as a single player game, imo that's what makes it good and is a shining example of how to make a really great single player game, it's what makes it unique as far as I'm concerned.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

15+ Year Old Account
    They could make the whole Elder Scrolls world available in one game where you can play Multiplayer/Co-op. By that I would also mean that if one player kills someone it will remain dead unless you console spawn it or something. This would also mean that if a NPC for a quest is killed the quest will not be available and it will say in the questlog if you happen to have the quest that it can't be completed past a certain point.

You would obviously not want a online server where anyone can join since it would mean people would just join and kill of the NPC's and such. Maybe handle it like Diablo III in that it is only online and you follow a quest chain that you choose or something like that.

The aspects that make it such an amazing single player game would also make it a disaster as an MMO.

So yeah, they could.. but they really shouldn't.

Deleted
    Agreed with the OP.. besides, why would they want to turn it into a MMO anyway? They make as much by launching new games, sequels and DLCs anyway, without the need to invest into the servers and hire mods.

Sure, there is this little thing called piracy but if they keep releasing good games like Skyrim, most people don't even want to pirate it.

Bethesda cannot into balancing single player game abilities and leaves the games with huge abusable systems after years of developement. I don't even dare to think how it would look in MMO enviroment.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothings impossible but really it would be a horrible game if it was ever pursed...

10+ Year Old Account
    the elder scrolls games are some of the my favorite rpgs, and all the things that are in them that make them good wouldn't be possible if the game wasn't single player.
    weeee!

Deleted
    more likely to introduce multiplayer mode, before they go for mmo mode? dont you agree?

make an MMO of elswyer and they're gtg
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Inventory, combat and interface would make my eyes bleed.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that many of the selling points of The Elder Scrolls series would be lost in the translation.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

People have been talking about an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. As good as the Elder Scrolls games are, of which I have honestly been a fan of since 1994 when Arena came out (still have it, too), I don't think they have what it takes to make Elder Scrolls into an MMO. If they go to the MMO format, it will probably kill any future single player Elder Scrolls projects since they could technically just implement the single player content into the MMO, assuming the MMO takes place over the entire world like it should.

It would be so buggy nobody would want to play it, however if a TES game had multiplayer functionality that would be really awesome.

Please no, never ever ever. They could do it, but it would destroy everything I love about the series, likely including the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could they? Yes.
    Should they? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    They shouldn't.
    Warcraft turned into an MMO, the lore went down the dirty toilet as the years passed, so will Elder Scrolls if they make an MMO.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw what Warcraft Became when it became an MMO...

Do you REALLY want to see that repeated with the RPG series that has been called the pinnacle of single player RPG's? I didn't think so. I'm glad others share a similar viewpoint.

The reason why the Elder Scrolls Series is so epic is because its single player you dont have that asshole in chat saying "Taht was so EZ, you fail if you cant do that like I did LOLOLOLOL"