10+ Year Old Account

Ashamed to say that I am a PC retard

I need a gaming rig... bottom line.

I don't know squat about building a computer.

Right now I am playing SWTOR on a 2009 iMac using bootcamp (its garbage).

I am considering using the setup (dolphin i think) that was posted on the home-page of this website by chaud its was roughly $500.

---------- Post added 2012-01-05 at 09:07 AM ----------

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...he-Daily-Blink

*its puppy actually*

10+ Year Old Account
    No reason to be ashamed about little knowledge about computers, you have to start somewhere.

The dolphin build is $755, if you mean the puppy build for ~500$ then it will run it on between medium and high.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure what your question is, but I'm guessing it is how do you build a computer. There are many guides out there on the internet, I personally used Newegg's 3 part guide for my first build. The build itself isn't too difficult, pretty much just putting components into your motherboard and then plugging connecting power cables to them. Here is part 2 of the guide, as part 1 is just picking out components and what each part does(which is pretty much done for you with Chaud's build). Part 3 is about getting the software on your computer setup. If you ever have any questions during the build, you can always make a post here in the computer forums and there are plenty of people willing to help you with whatever issue you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I guess I didn't really formulate a question there.

I am kind of a cheap bastard, and really don't want to spend more than $600 TOPS.

I guess I want to know if its worth the hassle... or if I should just go with something like this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-...&skuId=2677303

For $529

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the PC you linked uses intel hd 2000 graphics, which won't be able to run most games, and the few games that would run, would do so terribly. Also, if you need peripherals, then you will need to account for the price of them aswell. But as for the build he linked, you will be able to run TOR with no problem at medium or high settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Computer Build Help

Yeah - never buy a PC prebuilt in that sort of price range, and never from a major store like Best Buy, if for gaming. Quite honestly, you're never going to get what you pay for, usually getting older technology, and in this instance, no dedicated GPU, so this will not game.

The puppy build is good, but I would recommend this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post

Budget Gaming 550
    MoBo: ASRock H67M (B3)$79.99
    CPU: Intel i3 2100$124.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1333MHz 2x2GB$24.99
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870$164.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB$99.99
    PSU: Enermax NAXN 450W$39.99
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic$39.99 Review
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $575

Recommended for:
    Budget gaming build that can tackle most
    newer games. Enough if you only play World
    of Warcraft.
    This is great if you don't need any peripherals. Hopefully you are a student or know a student who can get you discounted Win7.
    If not, and you need windows and peripherals, then it's truly going to be hard to find a phenomenal PC for SWTOR in your price range. Anything you buy prebuilt in that budget will have a low power PSU, no GPU, and generally an older CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Moved to Computer Build Help

Yeah - never buy a PC prebuilt in that sort of price range, and never from a major store like Best Buy, if for gaming. Quite honestly, you're never going to get what you pay for, usually getting older technology, and in this instance, no dedicated GPU, so this will not game.

The puppy build is good, but I would recommend this instead.

This is great if you don't need any peripherals. Hopefully you are a student or know a student who can get you discounted Win7.
    If not, and you need windows and peripherals, then it's truly going to be hard to find a phenomenal PC for SWTOR in your price range. Anything you buy prebuilt in that budget will have a low power PSU, no GPU, and generally an older CPU.
    Bolded your foreign language.

15+ Year Old Account
    A dedicated GPU = graphics processing unit. A stand alone graphics card, if you will.

PSU = power supply
    CPU = central processing unit (Processor)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    A dedicated GPU = graphics processing unit. A stand alone graphics card, if you will.

PSU = power supply
    CPU = central processing unit (Processor)
    I see says the blind man.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-run-on-new-PC.

also a huge fear of mine, because I don't feel I have the wherewithal to be able to diagnose, or effectively communicate my issues in order to have someone else diagnose.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    I see says the blind man.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-run-on-new-PC.

also a huge fear of mine, because I don't feel I have the wherewithal to be able to diagnose, or effectively communicate my issues in order to have someone else diagnose.
    we're here for you, as are many other forums. screen shots, dxdiag, and other tools are phenomenal tools to help you communicate what is wrong.