Isn't 350k like, really really good?

Just read this article and I'm a little confused.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/to...impact-on-wow/

Ok so my question is this, doesn't "concurrent players" just mean how many people are on at any given time? Isn't 350k (considering the game has like 1.5M boxes sold) like, really really good? I seem to remember reading somewhere that WoW's peak concurrent user base was like 1M or something. Doesn't this mean that a lot of people that bought TOR are actually playing TOR?

I wouldn't read too much into this, both Warhammer and Age of Conan had massive numbers near their launches. On the other hand, Rift didnt really ever hit any massive numbers and but still eventually established itself as the no2 to WoW. SWTOR will undoubtedly take the No2 spot, but I doubt it will hold these great launch era numbers for too long.

Deleted
    The problem is people are comparing Sw:tor to WoW far too much to be honest, I mean how much subscribers did WoW have in the first few weeks? I'm sure they didn't have millions (A bit contradictive I know). But If you love it you love it if you don't then nobody can do anything about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is how they want to start their article using phrases like "Following some drama over the weekend", its fairly obvious the article is garbage and a slam campaign most likely funded by a competitor...
    Not to mention they are putting stock in this whole UK sales drop thing. Its the subs that matter, not the damn sales after 3 weeks. This is not Skyrim.

After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by K0tY View Post
    I would not believe this first of all, and second of all, i would bet that Blizz will want to shus every information about sub decrease from Swtor, just because they knew it will affect them badly, i dont know how much tho but what i know is that official swtor statement is that 2M players are playing the game in January or so. And i wanna see where those all player came from if not from WoW.
    I play in a guild with 10 irl friends, only 2 of us played wow. The others thought it was sad...but somehow SW is different to them lol

Quote Originally Posted by kojane View Post
    The problem is people are comparing Sw:tor to WoW far too much to be honest, I mean how much subscribers did WoW have in the first few weeks? I'm sure they didn't have millions (A bit contradictive I know). But If you love it you love it if you don't then nobody can do anything about that.
    Wow had TONS and TONS of subscribers at launch, they even had problems with getting enough servers

It's impossible to know if it will last. For now, it's a good (although a bit overpriced) KOTOR 3. End game content is what will actually determine the viability of the game, so give it at least 2 to 3 months.

It is unlikely at this point that SWTOR will beat WoW, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Also, comparing SWTOR's initial lunch to WoW's is ridiculous. When WoW started, 500k subscribers was HUGE. In all honesty, Titan is probably the only thing that may kill WoW, for the simple reason that Blizz won't let WoW die until they release Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcainzor View Post
    Wow had TONS and TONS of subscribers at launch, they even had problems with getting enough servers
    That's because they only anticipated about 300k TOTAL SALES, with about 100k concurrent users at peak.

its a prety insignificant number isnt bad isnt good doesnt mean absolutely anything imo. Brand new release with a long awaited launch and some decent leveling. Ofc on a weekend peak hour it will have lots of people online i wouldnt be surprised to see a way higher number even. But again it doesnt mean anything.

Until you see how many play after the 1st month we cant say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    its a prety insignificant number isnt bad isnt good doesnt mean absolutely anything imo. Brand new release with a long awaited launch and some decent leveling. Ofc on a weekend peak hour it will have lots of people online i wouldnt be surprised to see a way higher number even. But again it doesnt mean anything.

Until you see how many play after the 1st month we cant say anything.
    350,000 concurrent users is not "insignificant." Even WoW doesn't boast more than about 1.5mil during peak. About 1/5th the population of WoW 3 weeks into release is very significant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcainzor View Post
    I like the way you count subscribers in weight rather than just subscription or income. As far as I remember it had about the same starting sales figures that Swtor has now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Already had multiple threads on this and this one already is a WoW vs SWTOR thread.