Intel's 6 Core Processor - i7-980X - Worth it?

I'm working on building a new gaming laptop. I'm not super knowledgable about computers, but am trying to do some research. I've read on the forums that the price of going from i5 series to i7 series is not worth it for gaming, but I haven't seen much about the 6core processors, such as the i7-980x. Do these provide a huge boost like going from 2core to 4core does? Also, I'll be putting it in a laptop (I travel for work a ton). The builder assured me there wouldn't be heat issues, and any issues damage would be covered under their warranty. Also, since I'm putting it in a laptop, would I need to be concerned about my video card being the bottleknock and not being able to upgrade that in the future (though I guess I could remove the processor and build another system around that, but still that seems less than optimal). If spending a some more now means my system would be relevant for an extra couple years, that may be worth the price increase. Thanks in advance for the help! Example setup below including the aforementioned processor. Any thoughts of obvious places to upgrade or downgrade the system below are appreciated too.

Sager NP7282 - Gaming Laptops
    Display: 17.3" (16:9) Full HD (1920x1080) LED-Backlit Display with Super Clear Glare Type Screen
    Video Card - GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6990M 256bit w/2GB GDDR5
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor (3.2GHz) 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8 GT/sec QPI, LGA 1366
    Thermal Compound: Sager Thermal Compound
    System Memory: 6GB (3 SODIMMS) DDR3/1066 Triple Channel Memory
    Hard Drive: 500GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200RPM Hard Drive (16MB Cache Buffer)
    Hard Drives in RAID: RAID Disabled
    Optical Drive (Blu-Ray - DVD - CD): Combo Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    Memory Card Reader: 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader (All versions of MS + SD/MMC)
    Wireless Networking: Built-in Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless Card
    Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth Wireless
    Battery: Polymer Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack 78.44WH
    AC Adapter: Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter

Go w/ a newer processor

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    you'd be better off w/ something newer i.e i5-2500k or i7 26/2700k. Ofc this requires a socket 1155 mobo rather than x58.
    this

great chip and all still performs fantastic but for that price you can get a great motherboard and a i-7 3930k which is also 6 cores and performs better

its old tech

EDIT:

Just read its a laptop

no real benifit for you gaming performance wise if your job requires a ton or encoding or the like that you'll see benifit of the extra cpu power then go for it i guess its really expensive and old but im not aware of any x79 or desktop chip sandy bridge laptops like there were with the first i-7's
    Last edited by slipshade; 2012-01-05 at 07:28 PM.
    "Because of all the days that have passed, We are who we are."

@cpy

i reread the whole post and i fail to see whats in it that your getting at did you skim and input your own thoughts?
    "Because of all the days that have passed, We are who we are."

I didn't know you could use a 980x in a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    Custom build and modified x58. Ispano has one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    I believe OriginPC.com (Don't buy btw, horrible service & assembling) sells those.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cpy View Post
    This: Do these provide a huge boost like going from 2core to 4core does?
    Yes, OP is asking does going from 4 cores to 6 cores provide anything near as big of performance improvement as going from 2 core => 4 core... Nowhere did he say 6 core is 2x4... Reading comprehension lessons for you my friend

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Secant View Post
    Sager NP7282 - Gaming Laptops
    Display: 17.3" (16:9) Full HD (1920x1080) LED-Backlit Display with Super Clear Glare Type Screen
    Video Card - GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6990M 256bit w/2GB GDDR5
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor (3.2GHz) 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8 GT/sec QPI, LGA 1366
    Thermal Compound: Sager Thermal Compound
    System Memory: 6GB (3 SODIMMS) DDR3/1066 Triple Channel Memory
    Hard Drive: 500GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200RPM Hard Drive (16MB Cache Buffer)
    Hard Drives in RAID: RAID Disabled
    Optical Drive (Blu-Ray - DVD - CD): Combo Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    Memory Card Reader: 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader (All versions of MS + SD/MMC)
    Wireless Networking: Built-in Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless Card
    Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth Wireless
    Battery: Polymer Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack 78.44WH
    AC Adapter: Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter
    Slightly OT:
    This is supposed to be a "laptop"? A desktop cpu with about 100W tdp in a laptop case? Sorry, but either they are bullshitting or these things get extremely hot and loud. And i mean ear-shattering loud and finger-burning hot. With these specs, they have to be:
    A) Very big to house all the needed cooling and
    B) Very heavy, because of all the heatsinks needed.

Not what i would define as a laptop

EDIT:
    Holy shit, i just saw the specs on their website: over 12 lbs (~6kg) weight and 2.4" thick (~6cm).
    You would be better of getting a mini-itx 1155 board with a nice little case and a normal monitor. Probably cheaper, a lot quieter and more powerful.
    Lian Li PC-Q08 (inside)
    Sample config including monitor
    Last edited by Biernot; 2012-01-05 at 09:03 PM.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    6kg notebook? Seriously get a pc instead, you won't move that thing! Also still on that 6 core 980 is not worth it!

< ban evasion is bad. >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-01-05 at 10:03 PM.