Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    most people just dont like to explain basics.
    if you ask like "how do i have to play as shadow?" its unlikely to get an answer.
    if the question would be "when exactly to use mindblast?" it is more likely to get help.

personally, if someone asks something basic, i just reply that they should use google.
    everything can be found well explained on several sites there.
    after that, if you understood the basics (how to handle dots, orbs etc)
    one could talk about more complicated things which are not THAT obvious

edit: if i were that friend that got you into wow, i wouldn't have recommended you to play as shadow. it is a very difficult but rewarding spec and imo not that good for someone completely new to the game.. ^^

Just use the outside rescources to improve, there's plenty of guides out there to help you understand your class spec, dungeons etc. While this doesn't meant this kind of attitude is right, its the same everywhere on the internet.

Only people i'd talk like this to would be the morons that justify sucking at the game because ''they have a life'' but thats completly different than being new and willing to learn.

You can even PM me if you want, i don't main a shadow priest but i could def help you with the basics ;].

1) Find a new guild.

2) Do your own research, look at the WoW class forums, elitest jerks, look up top guilds' spriests and see what they gem, reforge, glyph, and talent. Not everyone wants to explain the mechanics of a class to someone who randomly asks them. Take your own initiative.

Tbh if you don't have a friendly guild that will answer ur nooby questions you need a new one, we've all been noobs at some point. Strangers were rude to me back in tbc but my guildies would answer. They would chuckle that I somehow didn't know but they ever insulted me so I didn't mind their little jests.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I wouldn't whisper random people. That's a little rude I think. However, if you're in a big raiding guild, you should have no trouble asking your fellow guildies for advice. That's kinda what they're there for. If they're the ones acting like it, sounds like you might need to find a new guild, friend or not.
    I agree with this. I would suggest a "casual/leveling guild", but if you are 85 you need to learn about mechanics that will help you at 85 specifically, and you can always backfill rnadom pieces of knowledge that you may have missed at other levels.

Something else that may help you, which you aren't going to like, is after you have been playing for a while, save up your JP/VP or whatever they are using for it now, and get yourself some BoA leveling items for an alternate character. Not only will it give you a little more flexibility in the game and in your guild, but you can learn a lot by simply leveling an alt. I can almost guarantee that if you pay close enough attention, you would learn many things that you missed the first time. On top of that, it may help you in the event you want to raid with your friend's guild, but they might already have enough Priests.

Something else: It is not unheard of for someone to say in trade, "I am looking for a [insert class] who wouldn't mind helping me learn how to raid as an [insert class here]." Sometimes you can get legitimate responses. For the douchebags, just put them on ignore if you want. Also, if your guild has a class leader for your class, seek their guidance. If they are unwilling to help, you may want to let your friend know you are going to find another guild for the time being.
    Last edited by Azidonis; 2012-01-06 at 12:42 AM.

Tbh if i have the time and knowledge i try help, sure ppl have whisperd me stuff that makes me wanna say: go away u nub or worse..
    but i remeber i was a noob it took time before i learned and even if i have knowledge about most classes in some way even if i havent leveled all to 85 i try to be helpful specially to guildmates, but also random ppl in the game.

dosent cost me anything to be polite and if i can help him/her to do better might just be better in future.. ex: the anger from faced with clueless ppl in randoms.

However i think everyone should look up there own class.. there are plenty of sites i'm not a fan of EJ it's to much text to read and all those numbers omfg.. but there are other sites that cut to basic..
    http://www.noxxic.com

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem stems from just general lack of any social etiquette. Most people playing games today have grown up doing that, spending countless hours inside a virtual world without any real human interaction. The golden rule is absolutely lost in gaming. There are some who are willing to help, as I myself had a guy take the time to show me everything I was doing wrong on my hunter when I first started playing, but those people are few and far between. I think you did the best thing you could, which was asking on a forum for advice. Granted there are still people "can't be bothered" to give you any helpful information but they definitely have the time to call you a noob or insult you. You just have to ignore those people and take all the positive feedback you get and apply it. There are plenty of great sites listed here for you to check out, noxxic.com is the beginners guide for each class/spec and can help you get started. Once you're ready you can move on to something like EJ and go from there.

I don't find this to be normal behavior. Whenever I have asked someone for class advice or directions or anything "nooby" I have been met with friendly responses. Same goes for when someone asks me for class advice, I am always friendly back to them as well. I don't see the point in being an asshole when someone is trying to better themselves. I will be an asshole to noobs who play like crap and don't take advice when it is given to them however.

And this is why FFXI and Shaiya have the mentor system. You can flag yourself as mentor, a GM has to approve it with you having some people vouch for you. That way you are flagged ingame as a "Mentor" and people can whisper you with questions.
    Saved the stupidity of the community of both games (Although the FFXI community was awesome).

I always was a Mentor in FFXI, and in WoW I was always helping people out with questions. I guess most people don't realise that they were new to the game once as well.

if it a class and spec i know a lot a bout ill help or i eaither pass them to EJ or here ive found the mmo-c class fourms very helpfull

I'll be honest here. I'm a complete asshole when it comes to most things like this. I think it comes from having played this game for the last 7 years and having to put up with complete idiots for the entire time. It makes you angry towards bad players for whatever reason they are bad for. For instance when I do a dungeon, if someone who should be doing 15k is doing 9k, I'll berate them all day long. It drives me insane when people are bad at this game. But when a player randomly whispers me and asks for help I will go out of my way to help them as best I can. I never understood why anyone wouldn't. I'll drop just about anything I'm doing in game short of a raid to help them out and add them to real id if they want so they can talk to me when I'm on SC etc. Maybe I feel like helping these people makes up for me being such an ass in random pugs, I don't know, but I like it.

Anywho, that being said most people will, as you have seen, tell you off or ignore you. In game whispers are probably not the best place to look for good information for specifics. You're better off getting that kind of info from forum thread such as the priest forums here on mmo champ.

It's up to us to break that mold. I always try and set a good example. I had a random Warlock on my server ask me for help the other day. I sat with him for over an hour and managed to help him almost double his DPS without even changing his gear or spec.

I was tanking an LFR last week and my fellow tank asked me how to do each and every fight (despite having downed Deathwing on that toon and being about 15 AiLs above me.) I had a hunch he was trolling me but I gave him the run-down of everything, answered every question and complimented him on a job well done.

I was grouped with a Destro Warlock in a random heroic and all she did was cast Immolate and Unstable Affliction. As a long-time Warlock main, this blew my mind and made me want to rage. But I kept my cool. I sent her a tell half way through the dungeon saying I might be able help her get some more DPS out of the character if she'd be interested. She was open to it. I told her to try casting Conflagrate after she had Immolate up, then use her nuke spells like Chaos Bolt and Incinerate. I could have given her the whole shpeal on how to play her toon but I figured if she was struggling with her own DoTs I shouldn't overwhelm her. She actually listened and was on her way to becoming a better Warlock.

Also, for the first few weeks of 4.3 I ran a premade LFR group. I helped a lot of strangers learn to do the encounters and even now I still check up on them and run an occasional heroic.

I run one of the few progressive raiding guilds on my side of the realm. I'm one of the better known players. I have a shiny orange stick. I didn't get from a level 1 toon with no idea what I was doing to an 85 dragon-slapper by myself. I owe it to my community to give back. So I do. Ramble ramble ramble.

Deleted
    Happens all the time.
    Ask about everything, play until you get good and don't argue with people who flame you because they are ignorant and stupid, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Whip Sam View Post
    Hey MMO posters,

I am fairly new to these forums, so i wanted to say hi. Hi. I have a slight dilemma that i dont know what to do.

A friend of mine asked me to come play WoW with him, and I signed up for the game when the company was giving it for $30 dollars. I also signed up for the recruit a friend program with my buddy playing WoW. He is in a high end raiding guild, but he promised me he would level up with me a few of his characters to help me get a character leveled to 85 to do stuff.

Well I am now 85, and i am a shadow priest, and every time i ask someone for advice in game, even if i whisper them (usually really geared priests who obviously know how to dps well) they usually reply back with insulting and bad comments. I don't know why someone would insult another person just asking for advice and help to improve? Things like "gtfo nub play another game" and i whisper again and it says in red "this person is ignoring you".

Is this normal behavior? Do people really act like this when someone needs help? When I ask a general question about the game, or a priest specific question in the general city channel, someone will almost always say, "are you serious?" or something like "how bad are you?" I even got "you should just kill yourself now because you are helpless"

This is really turning me off to playing this game Even some people in my guild will insult me for asking a question.

Anyone notice this? What should I do?
    i was a shadow priest
    ive never had problems like this
    anytime i talked to other priests they were pretty nice. us priests stuck together
    looks like youre on a server full of assholes

www.noxxic.com .. Go there, read, pwn

Sadly, it is normal behavior. I always answer people's questions, and I think it's pathetic how rude people are, but unfortunately that's how it is. Just search for things you need to know, rather than whispering others. It's not worth it; the community in general is terrible. And yeah, I agree, it's been a factor in me losing interest in online gaming too. I don't ever ask for help or anything, but just the knowledge of how horrible people are really puts me off and makes me want to just play single player games again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Whip Sam View Post
    Hey MMO posters,

I don't know why someone would insult another person just asking for advice and help to improve? Things like "gtfo nub play another game" and i whisper again and it says in red "this person is ignoring you".
    Sadly this is the player base of this game, and with that being said, those are assholes who's opinions really don't count or matter. The only thing I could think to do is see if there is a website that might be able to help with rotation for higher dps. I've had people ignore me too, doesn't effect me much since I tend to do stuff alone in game unless I'm in a dungeon.

What server are you playing on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    That's not true at all. Some people don't know what to look up. They don't even know where to start. The fact that they are asking questions doesn't make them lazy. They're seeking information from other players. Asking someone is no less work than going to a site, and at least the answers from a person might be more direct an relevant than a generalized guide. Plus, sending someone who is really clueless to a site like elitist jerks might just be too daunting. Maybe to you and me it's fairly easy, but I know some people IRL who can't just jump into stuff like that. They aren't lazy, they just find guides either too challenging, or they don't address their specific concerns in a way they understand.

First off, you are mischaracterizing what I said. I said most noobs are noobs because they are lazy. NOT that people asking for help are noobs, or that asking for help makes them noobs. Thus you set up a false premise for saying what I said was false, actually falsying your whole statement. But to answer the (idiotic) statement that "OMG THEY CAN"T FIND INFO ON HOW TO BE GOOD GIVE THEM ABREAK".

Friggen google? These are the top results I googled after I though of these questions in 3 seconds.

"DK SPEC"-http://deathknightbuilds.com/

"How to play a frost mage"http://www.wowwiki.com/Mage_tactics

"Frost DK gear"http://www.wowpopular.com/Death+Knight/Frost

"Arms or fury warrior"http://www.wikihow.com/Play-a-Warrior-in-World-of-Warcraft

"Do I want expertise as a tank" http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=...have-as-a-tank

As I said, they are lazy.

Thing is, I'm kinda with Skacore. However, I've been playing wow FOR LESS THEN A YEAR. Being good isn't as much a factor of gear, or time played, but competence and laziness.

And I'm normally a really nice guy. The thing which drives me crazy IRL is incompotence. I can understand, even If I dislike being lazy when you are normally really good. But just being BAD at something drives me NUTS. If I'm bad I'll practice and get better. Those who just get carried...GTFO. Asking for help I'd LOVE to give it! Doing 6k DPS in 380 gear? VOTE TO KICK INSTANT.

Heck, I'm one of the top, if not the top DPS hunter/arms warrior on server. But I just started playing arms, and so even I whispered someone in LFR for advice on a certain macro set. But I wasn't lazy.
    Last edited by Darkfriend; 2012-01-06 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Welcome to the WoW community, where being a nice person gets you spat upon.
    This,thats all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    It's up to us to break that mold. I always try and set a good example. I had a random Warlock on my server ask me for help the other day. I sat with him for over an hour and managed to help him almost double his DPS without even changing his gear or spec.

I was tanking an LFR last week and my fellow tank asked me how to do each and every fight (despite having downed Deathwing on that toon and being about 15 AiLs above me.) I had a hunch he was trolling me but I gave him the run-down of everything, answered every question and complimented him on a job well done.

I was grouped with a Destro Warlock in a random heroic and all she did was cast Immolate and Unstable Affliction. As a long-time Warlock main, this blew my mind and made me want to rage. But I kept my cool. I sent her a tell half way through the dungeon saying I might be able help her get some more DPS out of the character if she'd be interested. She was open to it. I told her to try casting Conflagrate after she had Immolate up, then use her nuke spells like Chaos Bolt and Incinerate. I could have given her the whole shpeal on how to play her toon but I figured if she was struggling with her own DoTs I shouldn't overwhelm her. She actually listened and was on her way to becoming a better Warlock.

Also, for the first few weeks of 4.3 I ran a premade LFR group. I helped a lot of strangers learn to do the encounters and even now I still check up on them and run an occasional heroic.

I run one of the few progressive raiding guilds on my side of the realm. I'm one of the better known players. I have a shiny orange stick. I didn't get from a level 1 toon with no idea what I was doing to an 85 dragon-slapper by myself. I owe it to my community to give back. So I do. Ramble ramble ramble.
    Agreed.

To the OP again:

I would also say, and will probably get flamed for it, but...

...usually, I'm saying usually, because I have usually found it to be the case in the past, a good solid tank pretty much has to know the basic mechanics of every class and spec, and how they interact with the game world. The good tanks also know where to get such information. Worst case scenario: find out who your guild's main tank is, and ask him or her politely if they wouldn't mind helping you out some when they have the time. You can do this with class leaders too, as I said already, and also if your guild has a lead healer.

And... why the hell isn't your friend answering your questions for you? Tell him I said he better not make me reinstate my cancelled WoW subscription, roll a tank on your server to powerlevel up to 85, and help you gear up/learn.