10+ Year Old Account

So has RIFT failed? According to this Blog!

This isn't a troll thread. This isn't a troll bait thread either. This isn't me trying to beat a jerk. This is me trying to figure out whats been going on with RIFT.

I am a fan of RIFT. Well not a huge fan but I am a firm believer that RIFT's PVE is far better than WoW. In terms of accessibility to me (casual) and others noobs, this is terrible and RIFT feels unwelcome, to an extent of course. I did PVP and believed that PVP in RIFT felt similar to WoW, except more of vanilla or burning crusade level, where some classes/specs can destroy this class/spec easily. I thought questing was just like TBC's level but went far beyond it, between wrath and burning crusade. I thought the dungeon finder felt weird because it was released very weirdly (first server now multiple servers... so yaa).

These reasons don't make RIFT the best but it made it something more. However when I read this blog from thegameguru, I was confused and curious with what was happening with Trion.

This is the article if you guys want to check it out. http://thegameguru.me/2011/12/26/why-did-rift-fail/

I had the wtf face on me. 300k subscribers. What? How could RIFT be doing this bad? Well not bad per se but couldn't accomplish into what it set out to do, which was to become successful. I kept reading. It used reasons such as Trion milking the dead RIFT, with reasons to back it up by arguing that its sale points became lower and lower and eventually became free (mostly at sales obviously). Storywise, uninteresting, which is something I really never cared about but it could be a reason why RIFT isn't doing so good. The blogged poster used reasons as this game is nothing more but a gigantic grind, and I remember when I played through this game, that's what it basically was.

As I kept reading what this guy was arguing and why RIFT sold less than 100,000 copies in their first month, I didn't know what to say. Then this quote got to me.

When people like playing games they like to play them in different ways. The fact that you were sort of always doing the same thing was a huge limit on the replayability of the game. In truth people were willing to wait on Guild Wars 2, The Old Republic or Warhammer 40,000 Online before picking up this game.
    To say that RIFT was nothing more but a game for the purpose in giving the player to escape the void of boredum, and not a reliable mmo that can actually compete with WoW kills me inside.

Sorry for the bad grammer and quick write-up, going to bed soon. I don't want to say that RIFT failed. It doesn't seem like it and I don't know whether this writer is actually getting his facts from actual sources or are all just estimates. Which is why I am asking you guys. Brothers and sisters, fans of RIFT, or wow-fans, do you guys believe in what this article?

PS. Yes I quit WoW.

Deleted
    Its just some guys baseless opinion. I never read it all the way through as the guy seems to be a total idiot. Fair play that he thinks that about Rift but in the name of god dont try pass his opinion of as bloody fact.

Mabay i will go write a blog in the style of that guy. Pull 'facts' and 'figures' out of my arse like he had done and title it...

'Why Rift killed all other MMO's and reached 10 Billion Subs'

That would be worth the same and that blog. Nothing.

Deleted
    MMO bloggers recently go against every WoW competition. But not that I've ever wasted my time reading someone else worthless opinion.

The only thing about Rift I remember was when I laughed at all the retards saying it would be the next big thing to "Kill WoW".

I remember when these same retards kept saying the same thing about Aion. They all came crawling back weeks after Rift's release :P

I'm glad TOR is somewhat successful atm. Maybe Blizzard will stop rehashing content and make a good expansion because now the only thing that can kill WoW is Blizzard themselves... :/

PS: No, I am NOT trolling, I'm just laughing at people who said Rift was a WoW Killer. I'm not saying "RIFT IS A FAILURE WOW IS GOD LOLOLOL", I'm just saying "Lol @ retards who think WoW will die to another game", because as it stands, ONLY WOW can kill itself at this point.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-01-06 at 10:46 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

alot of players leave wow for (instert random mmo) to play it. then when they reach max lvl they find out it is basicly the same as wow.
    but since they played wow for so long there going back to wow(more max lvl chars more firends and stuff).

so its hard for a new mmo to last. but from what i have read(its not that much) is that the devs/trion is really trying to make it work
    thats why there so many reteurn to rift. and rift is really cheap when they have there promotion rolling(could have bought it for 1.99)

I really enjoyed rift I thought it was a great game. My friend got me into it and he actually payed for my first month of subscription. It's sad if Rift only has 300k subs. I'd still be playing if i i could afford to play it. But with raiding and school i barely have time to do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, i'm with Moomurr here, that blog written by any of the 2 billion "expert" bloggers out there has so many false information and clueless opinions i don't even know where to begin

Let's see.....
    After six months they broke 300,000 active subscribers. That is less than Lineage 2.
    To counter this gem of blogger tripe i present...

Rift, which has sold more than a million units in under four months as a subscription MMO in a fantasy realm (WoW's territory), works as a constantly evolving live, dynamic service
    Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/t...orm-interview/

Now, which do i believe? Mr anonymous Joe Blogger with his expert views or an interview with the CEO of Trion on an industry standard website, tough call
    I couldn't even be bothered quoting more drivel and rubbish from that guys blog, he's clearly clueless....then again, it's his opinion, while i can respect and even read other people's opinion, luckily i like to form my own opinion about if Game A is what i want to play and not what some anonymous retard "blogging" or making imba awesomesauce video "guides" on YouTube want me to play.

Are people really so dim they have to have other people telling them what to play and if you play that game i don't play then you're sub-human to me? seriously, form your own opinion, i've been playing Rift since headstart, i still log in every day and i'm still enjoying it.....to me, that's what counts

I wouldn't set much stock in it, full of spelling and grammatical errors and some quite laughable factual errors (RIFT gave away hundreds of thousands of free copies to Beta testers, lolwut? Where's mine?).

Here is an excerpt from a post bashing DCUO:

The shit hit the fan in the gaming world when CNN and ABC both released reports on a massive hacking job done on Sony Online Entertainment’s Playstation Network (PSN). On PSN are millions of credit card numbers and over night people were losing between $400-$3000. The numbers were in such high numbers that Sony Online Entertainment released a press release instructing people how to file for fraud charges.
    It's complete bollocks. Sony released the information themselves they were not outed by news networks. There were certainly not people losing "between $400-$3000" overnight, in fact I never heard of anyone's credit card being used.

Then there is this:

Blizzard’s own authenticator’s were proven faulty after a number of authenticator’s were hacked.
    The authenticators have never been hacked, what happens is a virus on your computer notes the authenticator code and sends the correct one to hackers who have a few moments to enter your account, while sending the wrong one to Blizzard.

This guy quite frankly is writing sensationalist bullshit to get more views on his lame blog, and I kind of wish you would remove the link in your original post so as not to encourage people to view it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    They all came crawling back weeks after Rift's release :P
    If they all came crawling back then why has wow lost 2 million people?

The days of people crawling back to wow are long gone. Sadly Blizz still hold onto that arrogance and have done nothing new or interesting to get folk back. People have more options these days and with more good games on the horizon its going to be a bleak time for the old boy. Blizz have the talent and cash to do anything they want in wow but dont.

You can easily google the sub numbers and find that its over a million. Incorrect data is incorrect.

Deleted
    The only thing about Rift I remember was when I laughed at all the retards saying it would be the next big thing to "Kill WoW".

I remember when these same retards kept saying the same thing about Aion. They all came crawling back weeks after Rift's release :P

I'm glad TOR is somewhat successful atm. Maybe Blizzard will stop rehashing content and make a good expansion because now the only thing that can kill WoW is Blizzard themselves... :/

PS: No, I am NOT trolling, I'm just laughing at people who said Rift was a WoW Killer. I'm not saying "RIFT IS A FAILURE WOW IS GOD LOLOLOL", I'm just saying "Lol @ retards who think WoW will die to another game", because as it stands, ONLY WOW can kill itself at this point.
    Well TBH star wars isn't a wow killer either, seems to be doing about same as Rift. Even got people leaving star wars already and jumping around with us in Rift =)

Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    If they all came crawling back then why has wow lost 2 million people?

The days of people crawling back to wow are long gone. Sadly Blizz still hold onto that arrogance and have done nothing new or interesting to get folk back. People have more options these days and with more good games on the horizon its going to be a bleak time for the old boy. Blizz have the talent and cash to do anything they want in wow but dont.
    I was referring to the people in my guild / friends lists who said they were quitting for RIFT/Aion :P Not necessarily everyone. Re-reading my post, yeah I confused my words >.> It's 6AM and I'm sleep-deprived, sorry! DX

Also I completely agree with you. I know damn well they're going downhill and FAST, but I'm being optimistic about MoP which is what a LOT of the playerbase is doing atm. If MoP flops, I can guarantee an even larger portion of players will quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well TBH star wars isn't a wow killer either, seems to be doing about same as Rift. Even got people leaving star wars already and jumping around with us in Rift =)
    TBH I'm looking at RIFT now as something to play on the side (and if I like it enough, quit WoW for it if MoP sucks :P). If you actually know much about the game... (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...or-information)

And yes, this was a spur-of-the-moment thing that I decided about 10m ago. I'm getting bored of WoW and I'd like to trial RIFT in my downtime if it's worth my time

<Mod Edit: Chill on the "retard" calling>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-01-06 at 11:53 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

And yes, this was a spur-of-the-moment thing that I decided about 10m ago. I'm getting bored of WoW and I'd like to trial RIFT in my downtime if it's worth my time
    Just make sure you hang in there and if possible push to the endgame. The levelling process is to be fair one of the least entertaining aspects of RIFT, even us die hard fans will admit that. Once you reach around level 31 the talent tree's get really fun to play with, the Rifts provide a nice distraction from the monotony of questing, but to date ALL the new content has pretty much gone into making the endgame more fun, with only bug fixes and some quality of life elements being directed at levelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift (Trion) made two major mistakes, Gamebryo and LFD.

The Gamebryo engine, is flatly the ugliest game engine ever created.

"Looking for baddies" type tools, are the death of a community.

I tried it after WoW and got to 30ish, sooooo boring I could barely stay awake. The dynamic events have promise but it will be in another MMO, with better graphics and stroytelling.

So Rift didn't fail, it left a rib for a future MMO to use too finally realize what a true "next-gen" MMO, can really be.

WoW's questing, SWToR's storytelling, Rift/Warhammer's dynamic events and GW2's seasoning will create the next WoW. We'll all be in our late 70's but it should be a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    In terms of accessibility to me (casual) and others noobs, this is terrible and RIFT feels unwelcome, to an extent of course.
    Honestly, the main thing that's going to cause me to quit Rift (which is seeming more and more imminent) is how grindy it is, especially if you're an altoholic (which I am).

I played WoW for 6 years and for better or worse I became accustomed to being able to trick out a new alt in no time flat. Wrath definitely spoiled me (and I enjoyed every minute of it). Hitting exalted with all the main factions happened simultaneously (and effortlessly) through gearing via heroics, which could be done in a couple of weeks if you had the free time and dedication.

The way Rift is currently set up it's extremely alt unfriendly (you'd think the opposite given so many roles consolidated into four callings). Initially I thought the adding of planar gear for those of us who don't raid was fantastic, however, the end result is when I'm not doing dailies* I'm hitting up every possible invasion I can. I used to do them for fun, now it's more of something I have to drop whatever I'm doing and attend whether I feel like it or not because I need the ISS.

* Dailies have also become a chore thanks to them deciding that half the planar gear should have rep requirements in addition to outrageous ISS costs. Not to mention that all of the new costume pieces also require both rep and ISS (and none of them are account bound).

Then there are the PA levels, which while people will say add minor bonuses at best isn't really true considering I just unlocked a weapon buff that gives my rogue +60 dex (in addition to all the +dex hexes required to get that far). Trying to do sourcewells in EI with only 3 planar charges is a pain in the ass, so your first 18 planar levels end up going to gaining additional charges before you can even really focus on the tree of your choice. I lost count of how many planar levels I ended up having to get in things like +1 air resist before I could even touch tier 2 of my chosen path and almost every hex ends up requiring 2 PA levels to keep filling because they're not all a flat 100 cost.

Add to this Trion's penchant for adding RNG drops to every world event. I would add grinding world event currency here as well, however, having just come off of an event where you literally got snowflakes for everything it would seem ridiculous to mention since most people ended up with more than they can spend. However, previous world events have definitely required doing the dailies and farming the rifts du jour.

Now that you've managed to accomplish ALL this (which is a drop in the bucket seeing as how I've only mentioned a fraction of the grinds in the game thus far) on one character you switch to an alt, who's wearing quest greens, has 3 planar charges, no PA levels, no rep, no ISS, etc. Yeah. Needless to say, I logged onto an alt long enough to say, "I can't do this again," logged off and haven't played since, which was about a week ago.
    Last edited by Lane; 2012-01-06 at 11:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know you can now reset your Planar Attunement trees Lane? first reset is free, then 100p each other one

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, i actually READ the article and the guy makes some interesting points. Its hard to say if they're right or not, but I wouldn't blindly dismiss them as all false.

The fact that they hired on an entire new team to handle rift should actually send all fans in an uproar. If wow got an entire new team, there would be a shitstorm.

I smell fanboys....

And I have my free copy of rift that they gave out at GenCon, sitting unopened on my desk.

Deleted
    I can't say I bought Rift but I did try it on beta and the trial version and have to say it was just boring. Maybe it was the linear fetch x and kill x quests but after 1 hours of playing each session I became so bored I had to close the game.

While I think alternatives to WoW are always good, Rift tried to make a WoW clone, only it turned out worse than WoW and didn't really offer anything new.

Deleted
    I quit rift after the first zone. Felt like lvling an alt, except it was more boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some guys personal blog = fact. Yeah, No