Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
    Its a story driven game, its supposed to play out like the movies. the main character rarely dies half way through the movie.
    Except, there is a ton of ad-libbing. And just like ad-libbing, it can be very awesome, or it can make you look bad. In this case, looking bad kills you.

Besides, whats a game without a little challenge? I die here and there during class quests mainly for not paying attention. Doesn't bother me. Just get the medical droid out, recharge, and try again.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If this is the worst part of the game (it isn't but people are reaching to find something wrong) then we're in a pretty good place.

Seriously... you have to be a picky MF to make a thread about this one minor story inconsistency.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

happens in every game, just get used to it

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just read the comments afterwards with sarcasm if you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Pliers View Post
    Just read the comments afterwards with sarcasm if you die.
    LOL that actually works!
    "Peace is a lie"

A bit unrelated, but I really like the difficulty in TOR questing. Especially this one boss during Balmorra on my SI. It was a colicoid I believe, and I died about 3 times in a row before I figured out a strategy to kill him. That's what we need for boss fights. More than just BUTTONSMASH BUTTONSMASH BUTTONSMASH LOLDEAD PURPLEZ

I hope questing stays this difficulty, or maybe slightly harder even for the bosses. Please don't make this game as easy as WoW questing. /shudder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drek View Post
    So you want the developers to make alternate dialogue to accommadate failure for something you need to be successful at to continue the story?

Do people honestly just sit there trying to think up new things to whine about?

Let me try. When I jump off a cliff and take fall damage my characters legs aren't broken. I think my character should have to crawl with broken legs all the way to the medical droid. Ruins my immersion otherwise.
    my LawL for the day i think about this myself its like people arent happy with themselves if they cant find something to bitch about

Honestly most of the time I die on my story quests (sniper) is because when an enemy esp elites go red in front of me I have no time to set up the battle and thus ensure my victory. I die, then rez, then rotflstomp the elite because I can start the battle. The ONLY diff has been against (spoiler) Darth Jadus [/COLOR] (spoiler) at the end of act 1 because the only way to hit him due to a "cannot see target" bug was literally in melee range...he was tough and was ultimately a ton of fun and frantic. lol Would've one-shotted him without the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    I struggle jumping into a fight straight from a cutscene
    shrugs
    It's all good
    Yeah or I suddenly find myself head to ehad with some elite on my healer char and my companion isn't there, that doesn't work out so well...

I created this thread to point out the sometimes glaring inconsistency in failure versus story. The game basically ignores death, and that reduces the immersion value. Far from demanding that I never die, I'm simply saying that it would have been nice to see the story react somehow rather than pretending that it never happened.

However, as usual on this forum nobody has any insightful ideas on how to do this, and the thread has somehow turned into me being a whiny little bitch who thinks that I shouldn't ever die, so I think the thread's a lost cause.

The solution is obviously to stop dying.

In a lot of those events there are often things around you that can be used to tip the balance. The Koto tanks in one of them come to mind.

Well bioware would have to spend more time developing more dialogs if they want to imake death affect the storyline.

eg if you die in a quest, you failed, and you have to do another quest as a plan b sort of thing.

Deleted
    I get what your saying, but some of the class quests are next to impossible to solo, i did solo them, but soloing elites when you are a level or 2 below them requires you to use all your abilities, to kite and what not, and if the quest reset aftr death i would have pulled my hair out before getting to 50, I play S,I and seriously some of the class quests are tough, its like jumping in the deep end coming from wow questing

The number of times you can potentially die if you do something stupid or just from activating a specific quest that suddenly demands extra attention to even live through is a lot of fun for me. To be quite honest. The difficulty while leveling in TOR is great. People actually learn their class and the class quests aren't a snoozefest all the time. What's the point with a game that is no challenge?

It's either a rather awkward dialogue or a snoozefest of gameplay, what is worse? Personally I prefer to raise my hand in silence and admit being defeated by the elite and two strong mobs by his side as I had Zenith out and not Cedrax at one point. I was just trying to boost his affection rating and ended up getting killed and paid the credits for it. My fault, not the game. I wouldn't have died if I managed to press stealth in time, sap the elite and focus fire one strong mob quick while force lifting the other. If things went down the drain I would just blow a defensive cooldown and burn down one strong mob before Force Cloaking and resetting the encounter without dying before trying again, this time with better odds.

It's just so much more fun to have a slightly awkward dialogue that doesn't take into account the number of times you died, but ignores it, while the mobs you meet are hard as nails. SW:TOR delivers a fairly polished level of difficulty for a solo player. One the likes of which I have hardly seen before in an MMO. It is very well-made in terms of teaching players how to play and not just to spam one ability. Granted. Certain specs may be able to faceroll any pull without a elite, but still.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    I get what your saying, but some of the class quests are next to impossible to solo, i did solo them, but soloing elites when you are a level or 2 below them requires you to use all your abilities, to kite and what not, and if the quest reset aftr death i would have pulled my hair out before getting to 50, I play S,I and seriously some of the class quests are tough, its like jumping in the deep end coming from wow questing
    If the elites are two levels above you that is an indicator of you being at that particular point before the ideal point in time. You can easily group up to bypass that problem though. Even in class-related quests. It is tempting to rush through the class quests as they are the most fun, but they also become much harder then. That's not the game's fault, but yours.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-01-07 at 02:25 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

I'm with the guy above, I'm glad the game sometimes tosses things at me that I have to struggle to survive. Only once on a class quest have I been like "wtf...", and it was entirely my fault. Had I brought enough med pacs, used my 20m cooldown, etc, I would have never died. There's no problem with it, and they won't always be able to recognize every single circumstance that comes up. There's nothing that really can be done other than "don't die" and make sure you're the appropriate level for it.

Deleted
    Well, ofc it would be more "realistic" if you never could die, but it wouldn't be a challange at all I think.
    The great thing about swtor questing vs wow questing is in swtor you can die if you just piss around, you have to really focus and come up with a "strategy" on some quests, rather than wow when I just go aroun 2-shotting everything.

So I think that it's better to have it challanging with the chance to die instead of making it like wow and "more realistic". That's my opinion atleast.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendzie View Post
    How does this bother you more than dying at any other time in the game? You're supposed to always assume that you did not die, in terms of story.
    this is what i do. if i die during one of the, 'confrontation that becomes an instant fight against 2 regulars, 2 silvers and a gold' situations, i just reset and assume i didn't die. it's really the only choice if you don't want frustration taking over your immersion. i just tell that nerdy, RPer voice in my head to STFU, and all is well.

plus, it helps having a 7 second aoe stun that i throw instantly after coming out of the conversation.
    Last edited by greysaber; 2012-01-07 at 05:00 PM.