Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

World of Darkness

So as some of you may know, CCP is developing an MMO set in White Wolf`s World of Darkness. The game is currently in pre-production.

We do know the game will be based on Vampire: The Masquerade and "will have a focus on player politics and social interaction."

The seven playable clans are: Toreador, Gangrel, Ventrue, Nosferatu, Malkavian, Tremere and Brujah.

You may want to follow this site for future new info.

Animatic Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEi7nQbNDog

First ingame footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za3e6...ature=youtu.be

Interviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvGZlt39dU

They defined the 3 types of game play;

• Coffeehouse - the social aspect, low to no conflict, casual or social player focused
    • Theme park - The spirit of WoD, politics, backstabbing, etc
    • Sandbox - Primary focus, the biggest part of the game, control cities (prince)

Features;
    • Intense hand to hand (HtH) combat
    • Vicious politics; players vote for other players for positions (like prince)
    • Fashion; lots of styles and options
    • Aiming for stunning visuals that age well

General;

• They feel no pressure for peaks in vampire fads (like twilight) they feel vampires have and always will be popular peaks aside. Thus the fads have no influence on their game design. As they feel it is a mistake to jump on the peak bandwagons.
    • WoD was formed from the remains of a secret undisclosed project they were working on ~2005 they decided to change and move it over to the WoD MMO.
    • The game world will mostly be fictional places and landmarks but use real world city names, to quote "(we will) be using stylised versions, but they will be named after real cities.".
    • Due to power vacuum low population cities will be attractive to others, thus they feel there will not be much of a issue with some cities being over populated and others a ghost town as in other MMO's. CCP Chris also hinted on day 1 there will be a system in place to distro the population evenly to start.
    • Permadeath will work differently then the PnP game but permadeath is in.
    • Have little doubt will be rated M on release.
    • Cities will have types of "territory markers" to separate different supernatural types.
    • A question about what clans will start went from the clear "7 clans" at TGM 2011 to now "the originals" and they seemed to stumble around this question and deflected a bit. I got the distinct feeling they may be considering the "original" 13.
    • They implied the cam vs. sabbat theme is being considered.
    • Main goals in the game is to amass blood and territory.
    • Generation will NOT be used as a replacement for level. But the stat will be used in some way.
    • When asked about crafting they downplayed it quite a bit. It did not sound as if there will be much in the way of crafting. They answered by saying players will "not be able to sew your own clothes". They also down played possible weapon making. Saying most kindred will fight using their innate abilities.
    • Everyone starts as a mortal, becoming kindred is optional and can not be forced on you. You can play he entire game as a mortal only.
    • Casual players will find the game accessible but hard core players will have a much deeper experience and more rewards/benefits.
    • NO day/night cycle, only night.
    • Humanity and Masquerade are stats.
    • Players will have havens.
    • ONLY kindred on release of game, no were's, mages, etc. However those other supernaturals may be used in a NPC fashion or/and their lore appear in game.
    • Dynamic NPC missions/World events
    Last edited by Eternal Champion; 2012-06-15 at 05:48 PM.

I dont really see the "fun" in this game. It might be great but it certainly sounds boring to me... But thats just my opinion...

This would be a better text MUD than graphical MMO unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    This would be a better text MUD than graphical MMO unfortunately.
    Agreed. I can't help but thinking of Bloodlines and how the game felt forced so often. WoD is an interesting setting and is certainly a more palatable version of vampires (at least they don't sparkle), but after Bloodlines I don't really think it can be translated into a regular game very easily.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I thought this was put on the backburner with some shakeup in CCP funding? Least that was the last I heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I thought this was put on the backburner with some shakeup in CCP funding? Least that was the last I heard of it.
    Kinda. They took staff off this and some other projects after monoclegate, claiming that they had too many people working on it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hey Guys, Just dropping by to once again tell you that the World of Darkness project is moving along. We have lent some people to Dust who have an expertise in building that kind of game just like we just lent team paper cuts to EVE. Even having said that, we still have a triple A team working on World of Darkness. Don't despair, I promise we are mailing something great! We are currently laying low while the company focuses on Dust, we will release more news after that.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Hopefully, we should be getting more info this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    the trailer was meh and the site doesn't have enough info to keep me interested. nothing about classes, abilities, "races", if there are any, or factions/houses. there was something about houses but nothing that says what they were about.

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    the trailer was meh and the site doesn't have enough info to keep me interested. nothing about classes, abilities, "races", if there are any, or factions/houses. there was something about houses but nothing that says what they were about.
    Not much is known, that is true, but it most certainly wont be a traditional MMO. The closest thing to classes are clans. Depending on which one you join, will determin you character`s personality and disciplines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn’t look interesting at all.

If they're going to do a World of Darkness MMO, it wouldn't hurt them to include the werewolves as well. The vampire vs. werewolf setup was a major drive for the old WoD.

Deleted
    Actually this game sounds absolutely amazing and knowing CCP (the developer of EVE online) it sounds about perfect. Unfortunately it will be at least 3-5 years before it comes out if they don't cancel it.

It won't be great because of the setting (which I personally love) but because it is a CCP game which means no pampering, stupid people and bads will be ganked left and right and all their money and belonging could be taken away. And do not read casuals, read unintelligent people or bads.

But best of all, it will not be like WoW and doesn't follow the same example. There are too many WoW clones already and it's about time that something different came out.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 06:29 PM ----------

The trailer is actually from 2008 or 2009 or something before they even started developing the new engine.

Besides, why should there even be "races" or classes or abilities. MMO doesn't automatically mean WoW clone..
    There are different families though and you could probably get a general idea about them if you google them. It's too early to say how much they've changed though. Also the info about factions is up there but generally the factions won't be NPCs but player made. Every player could become a "prince" and create their own faction as they see fit. They need to be super rich and good at not getting assassinated though:P

Finally, someone who sees the potential of this project.

And I've added interview from this years The Grand Masquerade.

15+ Year Old Account
    So for the most basic minds, an Underworld mmo? Sounds reasonable, but not sure if it'll be worth 15 bucks a month, will have to see more footage of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    The trailer is actually from 2008 or 2009 or something before they even started developing the new engine.

Besides, why should there even be "races" or classes or abilities. MMO doesn't automatically mean WoW clone..
    There are different families though and you could probably get a general idea about them if you google them. It's too early to say how much they've changed though. Also the info about factions is up there but generally the factions won't be NPCs but player made. Every player could become a "prince" and create their own faction as they see fit. They need to be super rich and good at not getting assassinated though:P
    1. its wasn't the graphics that got me to say meh. its was the lack of story and other elements that have me wondering wtf is this game about?

2. abilities and classes races aren't something that wow created. they've been in mmos since pretty much the beginning. what's a an mmo or game for that matter that has no abilities? i even saw(yes i looked into white wolf) that they have abilities/traits or w/e you want to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    So for the most basic minds, an Underworld mmo? Sounds reasonable, but not sure if it'll be worth 15 bucks a month, will have to see more footage of course.

not really. WoD is vastly different from Underworld. they just both have vampires an werewolves. that's about all they have in common however.

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 04:42 AM ----------

1. its wasn't the graphics that got me to say meh. its was the lack of story and other elements that have me wondering wtf is this game about?

2. abilities and classes races aren't something that wow created. they've been in mmos since pretty much the beginning. what's a an mmo or game for that matter that has no abilities? i even saw(yes i looked into white wolf) that they have abilities/traits or w/e you want to call them.
    preproduction. in all likelihood the vampire clans and their disciplines will make an appearance. possibly werewolf ones as well and maybe even hunters since we apparently start as humans and can become vampires.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

MMO=More Money Obviously

WoD, where closet vampires and otherkin can work out their sexual frustration and sick fantasies with fat chicks, neckbeards and guys pretending to be girls.

...I will DL and have a look...

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD's vampires operate on a "clan" sort of thing. You pick a clan at character creation, and it determines which sorts of skills and abilities you can possess. Brujah are kind of like your standard brawlers, and get abilities that improve those kinds of things (abilities that make them faster, abilities that make them hit harder, etc), Ventrue are your basic "Mesmer" archetype; hypnotic suggestion, seduction, and outright mental domination are all in their bag of tricks. Nosferatu are kind of your rogue-like type - become invisible, be harder to notice, that kind of stuff.

That's what I remember from Bloodlines, anyway.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    I doubt werewolves will be playable because in WoD, they are huge mindless monsters that can tear down a building and way more powerful than your average vampire. However, one vampire clan can turn into a wolf I think and other animals.

To Gaexion

Yep and Asian MMO players are closet fairies and like to frolic around with fat girls and men pretending to be skinny half naked elves? And WoW players have sexual fantasies with animals? Right..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    I doubt werewolves will be playable because in WoD, they are huge mindless monsters that can tear down a building and way more powerful than your average vampire. However, one vampire clan can turn into a wolf I think and other animals.

To Gaexion

Yep and Asian MMO players are closet fairies and like to frolic around with fat girls and men pretending to be skinny half naked elves? And WoW players have sexual fantasies with animals? Right..
    Actually, I seem to remember WoD including lots of different horror archetypes as playable races. I know that werewolves are one option, and I believe Frankenstein's Monster/Golems are another option (basically anything composed of inanimate/inorganic materials and then given life.) So far, all of the computer games have only focused on the vampires, though.