Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Keep in mind, it is possible that not all dvd players operate the same way. Even if they DO, I have found that proving an exceptionally proud teacher they are wrong is a VERY bad plan, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Simply quoting my A level physics teacher. Be intersting to know he's wrong though as he's a very proud man I can use this to get back at him when he asks where my late coursework is. I may prevail.
    Also the "preliminary evidence" for the Higgs had a width of 3.5 sigma when the minimum for the Higgs under the sstandard model is 5 sigma. They probably saw something, but not the Higgs. I hate that model anyway. Stupid Higgs Boson.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetrin View Post
    Also the "preliminary evidence" for the Higgs had a width of 3.5 sigma when the minimum for the Higgs under the sstandard model is 5 sigma. They probably saw something, but not the Higgs. I hate that model anyway. Stupid Higgs Boson.
    Yeah but finding something outside of the range which they didn't expect to find, is even more exciting than finding what they were looking for, as that means something else has happened or occured which they didn't predict, opening up a whole other area of research and investigation
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Prove it. I hate most theoretical science for this very reason.

EDIT: Hurr durr a sausage has the same amount of water as the pacific ocean after the sausage collapses after being in a fridge for 10000 years.
    Uhh, when a star 3x as large as our sun is orbiting something only the size of New York City, it's safe to assume that the ball it's orbiting is pretty dense.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    A neutron star is so dense that a tea spoon of it weighs as much as your m-

Oh.
    lmfao, you sir made my day! + internets!
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Prove it. I hate most theoretical science for this very reason.

EDIT: Hurr durr a sausage has the same amount of water as the pacific ocean after the sausage collapses after being in a fridge for 10000 years.
    It's not theoretical physics, it's something we have already observed.

10+ Year Old Account
    N'aww, space time isnt that bad. Once it clicks you'll get it. I'm sure someone in your guild can explain it to you

When we were doing a Firelands farm run once, just before I wanted to pull Beth heroic people were pissing around so I began to explain the equation for the Gravitational Field Effect and everyone went silent and focused, was great. Then last night on Yorsahj hc people were pissing about and I said "It's like watching the different oxidation states of Vanadium!" and silence reigned once again
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    It's not theoretical physics, it's something we have already observed.
    No you haven't, none of it is even close to present tense.

Oh look who's back.

The light stays off when you close the fridge door.
    STFU, don't lie to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Oxidation states of a unknown chemical, time to go research
    Vanadium is an element

Imagine when that thing becomes a a black hole.

*shudders*

Oh god, my lesser brain can't comprehend half this page.
    <forgot to link page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime >
    Go ahead, and use some of those braincells you were never expecting to use.
    Neutron stars dont become black holes. When gravity starts winning over the outward pressure of the fusion reaction, the electroweak force in the atoms making up the star collapses and essentially compress electrons into protons (+ charge plus - charge = 0 charge. A neutron. Hence the term "neutron star"). Some of these have extremely strong magnetic fields (Hundreds of millions of times stronger than anything humanity has managed to churn out) and some emit beams of radiation as they spin extremely fast (Imagine something the size of New York City rotating 30 times every second).

Black Holes can only occur when gravity is strong enough to break down the Strong force (yes, it's just called the Strong force) and collapse neutrons into themselves quadrillions of times over. They become a single point (infinitesimally small) yet remain as heavy as a star dozens (maybe up to even thousands or millions of times heavier than our Sun.

Deleted
    Simply quoting my A level physics teacher. Be intersting to know he's wrong though as he's a very proud man I can use this to get back at him when he asks where my late coursework is. I may prevail.
    I also knew it goes under it - as a device - but I assumed you meant some kind of procedure involving bouncing the beam.

/disappointed

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Uhh, when a star 3x as large as our sun is orbiting something only the size of New York City, it's safe to assume that the ball it's orbiting is pretty dense.
    Unless, by a bizarre coincidence, instead of orbiting that, it's repulsed by a uniform array of bodies around it. I estimate the probability of that is 0.000000000000000001.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2012-01-07 at 06:05 PM.

The enourmous gravity of a neutron star is enough to bend light, basicly, when you stare at one, you can see it's back side.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    The human soul weighs 1/3000th of an ounce.

That’s the astonishing claim of East German researchers who recently weighed more than 200 terminally ill patients just before, and immediately after, their deaths.

In each case the weight loss was exactly the same–1/3,000th of an ounce.

“The inescapable conclusion is that we have now confirmed the existence of the human soul and determined its weight,” Dr. Becker Mertens of Dresden said in a letter printed in the German science journal Horizon.

“The challenge before us now is to figure out exactly what the soul is composed of”, he continued. “We are inclined to believe that it is a form of energy. “But our attempts to identify this energy have been unsuccessful to date.”

The expert’s report, co-authored by physicist Elke Fisher, got mixed review from top scientists around the world. Gerard Voisart, the leading French pathologist, was especially critical, saying that the weight difference between the living and the dead could be accounted for by air leaving the lungs. But Drs. Fisher and Mertens said they took that into account in making their calculations. They further stated that the device they used to weigh the soul has a margin of error of less than 1/100,000th of an ounce.
    I can't post a link yet but this has been proven.

Deleted
    N'aww, space time isnt that bad. Once it clicks you'll get it. I'm sure someone in your guild can explain it to you
    I'm currently freaking out understanding the "causes" of the uncertainty principle and the exclusion principle (which I suspect are the same thing in different angles). It turns out, nobody knows. I suspect bosons may play a role. Or strings. Or I don't know, I'm noop.

Deleted
    What kind of star can have this kind of gravity?
    Don't be surprised. People often fail to realize our own galaxy alone has to be travelled 100,000 years in the speed of light from here to the other end. Imagine for what distances we're talking about when there are billions of galaxies only as far as we can see.

*Yes, there's a large part of the universe we can't even see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    I'm currently freaking out understanding the "causes" of the uncertainty principle and the exclusion principle (which I suspect are the same thing in different angles). It turns out, nobody knows. I suspect bosons may play a role. Or strings. Or I don't know, I'm noop.
    It's hard to say without understanding or knowing in the first place how many Quantum States there are.

To make this simple for non sciencey people, 2 bosons can only occupy 1 quantum state at a time - ie, they both cant be in EXACTLY the same place within however many dimensions there are, at the same time. Imagine like trying to have 2 balls in exactly the same place. Won't work.

Fermions however can share the same space in the same quantum state. Bosons are what you'd normally call "matter" and Fermions are more "The force carriers"

Problem at the moment is we don't know how many Quantum States or "Dimensions" if you see it in a more simplified way, there are - String Theory reckons 11 but hey, who knows

A black hole equally as dense as planet earth would be the size of a marble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    The human soul weighs 1/3000th of an ounce.

I can't post a link yet but this has been proven.
    The body disposes of all oxygen after death. Seems more likely to me that that accounts for the weight loss. Did the person who did this research about the weight of the soul also check the weight 3 days after death?