Poll: Would you save a stranded shark on the beach?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Deleted

Grandmother saves stranded shark

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...set-beach.html

This is the dramatic moment a grandmother bravely grappled with a 6ft killer shark.

But rather than protecting her own life, Jeanette Longley was in fact trying to save the creature that had become stranded on a Dorset beach.

The 56-year-old gave no thought for her safety as she tried to move the floundering blue shark back into the sea.

Careful not to put her hands too close to the fearsome fish’s mouth, Mrs Longley wrestled with it in a bid to roll it down the shingle towards the water at West Bay, near Bridport.
    Grandmother Jeanette Longley grapples with the blue shark after it was stranded on the beach

Grandmother Jeanette Longley grapples with the blue shark after it was stranded on the beach

The blue shark was alive when Mrs Longley helped it back into the sea, but there are fears it may have later died

The blue shark was alive when Mrs Longley helped it back into the sea, but there are fears it may have later died
    Mrs Longley said she acted because 'something had to be done'

Mrs Longley said she acted because 'something had to be done'

But she twice ended up falling into the sea with the monster fish when strong waves knocked her off her feet.

Mrs Longley, a widow, eventually managed to get the shark into water deep enough for it to swim away by its own accord.

Blue sharks do live in UK waters but are usually found about 20 miles out to sea.

They have been known to attack humans and in 2009 there were 13 attacks on people around the world, resulting in four deaths.

Mrs Longley, from Bridport, said she gave little thought for her safety when she saw the struggling shark.

She said: 'A friend and I were taking our dogs for a walk along the beach when we saw some people stood around an object on the beach.

'I thought I saw a dolphin at first but as we got closer I realised it was a shark.

'People were stood around watching but when I realised it was alive I decided to do something.

'It was thrashing about but it couldn’t get back into the water by itself.

'The only way to get it into the sea and save it was to roll it into the water.

'I didn’t really think about my safety or it biting me - it was just something that had to be done.

'I was aware there were some people behind me on the beach and I was aware of some of them saying things like "careful it doesn’t bite you".

'It was very heavy and powerful and kept thrashing about. I kept losing my footing and was knocked over by the waves and into the water a couple of times.

'I suppose in hindsight that was when I was most at risk of it biting me but I am a good swimmer.
    The 6ft shark was stranded on the shingle before Mrs Longley came to its rescue

The 6ft shark was stranded on the shingle before Mrs Longley came to its rescue

'I managed to get the shark out in the end and I could see its fin in the water as it moved through the water.'

Mrs Longley added: 'I have saved hedgehogs and things like that before but nothing like a shark.'

Her friend Natasha Butcher, who captured Mrs Longley’s rescue act on her camera phone, said: 'It was just something Jeanette would do. She just gets stuck in.

'It was only afterwards that we thought how dangerous it was.'

Portland coastguard said they understood why Jeannette tried to save the shark but warned people against taking such risks.

A spokesman said: 'We advise people to leave well alone. Call the coastguards instead. West Bay can be dangerous with the shingle and undertow.'

However, Mrs Longley’s actions may not have been enough to have saved the shark.

Days later the body of a blue shark that was about the same size as the one she rescued was found washed up on the beach a few miles away at Burton Bradstock.
    It is not certain if it is the same fish. Mrs Longley added: 'I am saddened if it is the same one.'

Deleted
    I killed whaleshark once.

That's wonderful, good for her. Terribly sad that it most likely died later, though, but at least she had the courage to help instead of letting it suffer.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just see lunch and dinner for 1 month.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    I think I would try to save him/her but if it's too big or struggles too much I might give up, there's a limit and I'm not a huge person.

Deleted
    I would attempt to, I don't value my life above other creatures, I'd gladly endanger my own safety for something such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karatepelle View Post
    I killed whaleshark once.
    I can just hope you're trolling.

Sharks are now endangered... aren't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    I can just hope you're trolling.
    There were whale sharks in cata, no? I can't remember its been almost a year since I last played.

This thread proves you can make a poll for literally anything.

Deleted
    I might have called the police or something, guess I'd have to have been there to see what I'd do. My brother is a fan of sharks, not sure if that means he would go in there or not. Still nice story, different from hearing "Someone shot another person in the face because of something. What do you think about this?" type news topics we seem to be getting in droves here on the forums at the moment. Thanks for sharing it!

Seems like a sensationalist article. "Gran wrestles shark" gets more attention than "Person saves large fish". If you look at the picture, it's not a very large shark.

Would depend on how big the shark was because I don't think I would be getting close to a great white if it beached itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could have died of hunger, she should have fed herself to it if she wanna save it that much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    Sharks are now endangered... aren't they?
    i believe so

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am terrified of sea creatures so I'd probably call someone else over to help it. I definitely wouldn't leave it to die though.

that's quite insane, props to her bravery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Very admirable act from the older woman, thumbs up to her!
    The shark needed help, and OFC it should get some. It's an important, living creature, upholding the food-chain

10+ Year Old Account
    And the most eye-catching thing on that whole page, is her fat ass in the top two pictures. Well done media, well done.

Dude, that shark ALREADY looked dead. I'd imagine it had been there for quite a few hours; just look at its skin! I mean, mad props for doing that, but as it did likely die later on, it was mostly wasted effort. Other than, well, your fat ass's 15 minutes of fame, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.