advice/"help" needed.

so me and my father have been fighting quite alot recently, I will turn 18 soon and he has been threatening me with kicking me out the last two weeks, yesterday evening at dinner I asked him how we get our television(cable ect) and he went crazy... yelling at me for not being "interested" in what happens around the house, I yell back at him saying "Nobody likes to be yelled at, so fuck off" and I walk away, a few minutes ago he came up to my room and told me that he would shut down my internet because of yesterday, I dont have the money to move out(I would move out asap if I could), any suggestions how I could "try" to make him respect me? (this has had its ups and downs for soon 4 years)

10+ Year Old Account
    /move General-off topic

You could get a job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fairly certain this isn't the right forums for this, and i don't wanna go ahead and call "troll" but i digress...

Really, to be perfectly honest, your under his roof. Alls you've got to do is follow his rules, and show some respect, and you'll get it back.
    Although, it does sound like he's being completely unreasonable, in which case, just chill, keep your head down, and maybe start to think about moving, in whatever way is most viable for you.

I know when i was growing up, my sister and my mum argued all the time, for no reason whatsoever most of the time, both were completely unreasonable towards each other, and eventually my sister "rage quit" and moved. Ever since, they've been the best of friends.

Some people just need space!
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Very sorry about the wrong forums, I rarely make posts myself, anyways, the problem about the "job" is that since I turn 18 soon and I'm not educated yet I cant find anything, mainly because denmark's being rediculous and they dont want to hire anyone above 18 because of the payments.

Yeh, Getting a job will probably help a lot.

Edit: Hmmm... Tough situation. I'm not fimiliar with Denmark's law's / regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    I would be mad if my 18 year old son watched cartoon ponys.
    What does this have to do with it? I rarely watch TV, I just felt like joining the "bronie" crowd on mmo-champ.

You could start by not telling your father to "eff off", like ever.

Short answer? You want his respect? Accomplish 1% of what he has, and until then recognize that a teenager is essentially a species of parasite that attaches itself to a parent and then complains incessantly about insufficient oxygen levels in the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon View Post

Short answer? You want his respect? Accomplish 1% of what he has, and until then recognize that a teenager is essentially a species of parasite that attaches itself to a parent and then complains incessantly about insufficient oxygen levels in the blood.
    You sir made me smile. Also good advice. It's generally not a good idea to disrespect your parents like that. Try saying you're sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathias View Post
    so me and my father have been fighting quite alot recently, I will turn 18 soon and he has been threatening me with kicking me out the last two weeks, yesterday evening at dinner I asked him how we get our television(cable ect) and he went crazy... yelling at me for not being "interested" in what happens around the house, I yell back at him saying "Nobody likes to be yelled at, so fuck off" and I walk away, a few minutes ago he came up to my room and told me that he would shut down my internet because of yesterday, I dont have the money to move out(I would move out asap if I could), any suggestions how I could "try" to make him respect me? (this has had its ups and downs for soon 4 years)
    You could tell us WHY you're fighting?
    At your age, your emotions can go up and down quite a bit, so try seeing it from his side. What could it possibly be that pissed him off when you asked him how you got your cable. Isn't that exactly what it means to show interest in what's going on around the house?

Yelling back at somebody who is yelling at you never fixes anything btw. I know it's your initial reaction, and you really feel like it, but if you manage to control your anger and come back with a proper argument, it will show him that you've matured, and that is generally what a father looks for in a son, especially when they hit the 18 y/o mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Off-Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon View Post

This, pretty much.

You make your father seem like a constantly angry person, what with all the yelling, but you are under his roof and you were disrespectful. Learning a little life lesson about the effects of telling the person that pays your way through life to "fuck off" will help you in the long run. I'd also recommend apologizing to him and trying to pay your way in any way you can: chores, etc.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

Help him out with things that have to be done in/around the house. May help too, i myself always help him when he needs it.

Find common things to do together, hobby's/movies/music. Me and my dad have a lot in common (maybe cause i'm the only son) and it makes it easier for me to respect him, not only cause he is my father but also for what he can and does.

And like everybody else said: Never tell your father to f*ck off. I would get my ass kicked if i would Oo
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

Ik exactly what your going through same age and everyhing lol , and I got to say the best thing to do is just bite your tongue...dont speak back , just let him think hes right even if hes wrong , do what he asks you to do , also that other ppl have said find a job and save up so when the time is right and you have saved enough money to move out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post

He is a god, and should not have to associate with lower class citizens, for his valor points, I mean thats ALL he could be there for, he obviously doesnt need gear, so blizzard should just credit his account with 500 VP a week, for his troubles

^^^ They know what they are talking about.

Anyone else find OP gets Eighteen by Alice Cooper stuck in their head?

I haven't been a teenager for nearly a decade now and I can tell you that now nothing annoys me more than teenagers. Teenagers tend to have absolutely no respect for their elders, only now-a-days you're far less likely to get the backhand for it.

Removing the backhand was probably the worst thing that ever happened to our society. You'll soon find that once it's all up to you there's a million other figurative ways to get that same backhand for being disrespectful that were a whole lot worse than daddy could ever do.

EDIT:

To clarify "respecting your elders" means admitting they are right, no matter how sure you are that they are wrong, and never talking back for any reason.

Also think of it this way:

When my father was a teenager, it was normal to start working part time early in the teen years and be self supportive by the age of 16. Such, due to changes in economics, is barely practicable at 18 now and I think the average move-out age has inflated to about 25 years of age since then (1960s, early 1970s). So depending upon how old your father is he might be using an out-dated template to gauge where you are in life versus where you should be.

EDIT2:

If you really want to gain your fathers respect (if you aren't already employed) instead of going out and partying one weekend, go out with a stack of resumes and return home without it. Hand them out everywhere, who cares who says they are hiring or not. I've never been hired by a business with a "help wanted sign" hanging on the door.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-01-08 at 04:11 PM.