Deleted

Budget Gaming PC - First Time Build

Hey guys, I have never built a PC before so have come here for some help. I got some extra cash for Xmas and Birthday and fancy treating myself...

Basically I would like to spend about £500, I don't require a mouse, keyboard, Operating System (Free through Uni FTW!). I have an extra £100 Amazon voucher aswell on top of the £500, I was going to use that on a monitor.

I would like to be able to play WoW on high settings, and would like to actually be able to play some newer games. Maybe Skyrim / Battlefield, that sort of thing. Would also like to play Guild Wars 2 when it comes out, and Diablo 3. I don't really do any modelling or such, I do some programming but nothing intense.

My mum has an old desktop in her attic that I can use to steal the Disk Drive from (Assuming that a 6ish year old PCs disk drive would work?). I am in the UK so require UK sites.

I have put a build I made using partpicker below with help from Marest's Sample Builds using the Budget Gaming 700 PC as a template and changing bits that aren't available and such. It is a bit over my preferred budget, but would be able to stretch if it worth it:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£170.98 Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£95.65 Ebuyer)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£37.28 Ebuyer)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£85.04 Maplin Electronics)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card (£127.98 Ebuyer)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.47 Scan)
    Power Supply: XFX 450W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£41.99 Amazon UK)
    Total: £598.39

Thanks for any input...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I would be buying this in about a week and a half, as have exams and wouldn't want to revise after buying this haha. If that makes any difference..
    Last edited by mmoc38d1670da0; 2012-01-07 at 07:42 PM.

To save a few pound get a

CoolerMaster Centurion 5 combo case + 500w PSU

should be around 60pounds for the combo, saving you 20odd pound.

With regards to the Harddrive (which are ridiculously over priced atm due to global shortage) If you take a look at it, it really needs to be SATA (not IDE). You might need to wikipedia these terms in you are not familiar. Otherwise a second hand SATA drive is a good choice as well.

Motherboard looks overpriced as well.

*** If the Harddrive is IDE, it is possible, but you need to check that motherboard has an IDE connector, or else you will have problems).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same mobo and just used a flashlight to check, there is no IDE.
    Gaming: i5 2500k 4.6GHz | CM Hyper 212+ | GTX 570 @ 850 | 16GB RipjawsX 1600 | Crucial M4 64GB | MSI P67A-G43 | Creative X-Fi fatality
    Media: Intel C2Q6600 | 4GB DDR3 | Silent 8500GT | Creative Audigy2 | Logitech z5300 | Samsung 40" LCD
    Server: AMD Phenom x4 9550 | 6GB DDR2 | 5TB storage | Windows Home Server 2011

Cenarius:Alliance - Meown 400.6 - 6/8Heroic

Deleted
    dont get caviar blue nor green.. they are both slow ones... if you want performance go for caviar black

Deleted
    Thanks, as far as I'm aware the HDD is SATA? I have no idea about these things to be perfectly honest, but all the websites I've seen it on say SATA.

As for the Caviar Black, it's a fair bit more exspensive, will it really make that much of a difference? The sample build uses Caviar Blue, and that's round about my budget..

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with what's been said, get a roomier case, at least a 500W PSU and a black-edition HDD, or spend a little extra and get a SSD aswell as the blue HDD

Deleted
    I would love to get an SSD, but that's going to destroy my budget. The bits I linked are already over what I would prefer, and adding all these bits would push it further.

I realise now that I would need a 500W PSU, so I would get that. As for the case, is there much need for it to be roomier? As far as I'm concerned, the smaller the better as long as it fits all I require.