Question about Graphics Cards.

Hey.

So I've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card.

And I've pretty much settled on a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti.

Now my question is. Looking at the prices, I can either spend $296,24 on a card with 1GB DDR5, or $332,87 on a the same card with 2GB DDR5.

Might seem like a silly question, but is the ~$30 worth the upgrade? I'm just asking to be on the safe side. Also, would my 650W power Supply be able to run it?

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not worth the upgrade, and yes your power supply will run it.

Can any game even use 2gig of mem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    I'm getting BF3 memory errors from DX11 at full ultra, but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm a dumbass.

What's your current set up like right now? to see if it is worth spending 300 on a gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    BF3?

just because a card has like 2gb of ram docent mean its much more powerful than a card that only has 1gb of ram. its just like you cant put 16gb of ram into a computer with a shitty cpu. the gpu memory is often just a marketing trick.

also chadwix, yes at really high resolution.

Here is the thing about VRAM... a 560ti does not have a processor fast enough to give you good fps at any resolution high enough to push above 1 GB. If you were to tri-sli three of these cards, and then do a 3x1080p monitor setup, you would then be in good shape. I cannot see the benefit of a single card with that much RAM, as not even a top end card can push very playable framerates while needing a frame buffer that large.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    in line with a sleeping bag for d3 beta and CE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizie View Post
    Hey.

So I've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card.

And I've pretty much settled on a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti.

Now my question is. Looking at the prices, I can either spend $296,24 on a card with 1GB DDR5, or $332,87 on a the same card with 2GB DDR5.

Might seem like a silly question, but is the ~$30 worth the upgrade? I'm just asking to be on the safe side. Also, would my 650W power Supply be able to run it?

Thanks.
    30 dollar for 1 more gb? i would say do it if it was 30 dollar for 30 mhz then no. thats why i got the 560gtx 1gb. but yeah i would say take it but the 650 w ps would be a bit short tho cos nvidea website says it req 550 watts max + 130 to your cpu = more than 650 i would recomment if you play other games than just wow get a 750 or someting doesn;t need to be expainsife just spend like 100 dollars or sumeting. that would be more than fine. + get like a chieftheck or so low price high quality

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaïchï View Post
    30 dollar for 1 more gb? i would say do it if it was 30 dollar for 30 mhz then no. thats why i got the 560gtx 1gb. but yeah i would say take it but the 650 w ps would be a bit short tho cos nvidea website says it req 550 watts max + 130 to your cpu = more than 650 i would recomment if you play other games than just wow get a 750 or someting doesn;t need to be expainsife just spend like 100 dollars or sumeting. that would be more than fine. + get like a chieftheck or so low price high quality
    Disregard this please. He's wrong on almost every account.

Quote Originally Posted by zaïchï View Post
    I do not agree with anything you said. The power supply he has is more than adequate. The extra RAM is unnecessary as well. If you want to spend $330, get a GTX 570 instead, as it will be faster than any other Nvidia card besides the 580/590.

/tar Fuzzykins
    /highfive

Sorry, was in a game of LoL. My other PC specs are:

Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz overclocked to 3.8
    4 GB of RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    650W PSU

The Card I'll be replacing is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 275. Quiet old, but i got it for free from a friend about 4 years back now i think.

---Edit---

Thanks for the replies btw
    Last edited by Wizie; 2012-01-07 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should come play with me. :P
    You'll be fine, enjoy a 560 ti 1GB. x3

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You should come play with me. :P
    You'll be fine, enjoy a 560 ti 1GB. x3
    I would love to, except since i woke up at 03:45 in the middle of the night yesterday, and have been awake ever since, I really, really need some sleep^^

Just wanted to get these questions answered before i order my new graphics cards tomorow

Gotta say though, i fregging love the internet / this website for being able to just ask things like this.. Just awesome to get answers so fast, instead of having to wait until the stores open and ask them, and even then they might not even know.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice and answers. Good night

Deleted
    Alternatively you could look into the 560gtx ti 448 cores, if you are not totally convinced about the 560 gtx ti being enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that you are talking about USD, then that price seems kind of high for the 560ti, unless you are talking about the 448 core one. Only reason you would want to go with the 2GB card if you plan on using several monitors, but even then, I use 2 monitors(1920x1080 and 1600x900), and I find myself not having any issues with running out of VRAM.
    Last edited by Voytrekk; 2012-01-08 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Just noticed 32 bit OS

I have a similar question:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
    OR
    XFX Radeon HD6950 2GB

I heard the 6950 Can be ''cheated'' to count as a 6970...

Suggestion ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tolaria View Post
    I have a similar question:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
    OR
    XFX Radeon HD6950 2GB

I heard the 6950 Can be ''cheated'' to count as a 6970...

Suggestion ?!?
    Wait for 7970 that comes out tomorrowm from 45nm to 28nm around 15-20%(up from a gtx 580) increase in fps and awesome OC capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Trekk View Post
    Given that you are talking about USD, then that price seems kind of high for the 560ti, unless you are talking about the 448 core one. Only reason you would want to go with the 2GB card if you plan on using several monitors, but even then, I use 2 monitors(1920x1080 and 1600x900), and I find myself not having any issues with running out of VRAM.
    Ah, well. I live in Denmark, i just knew that most people that was online at the time i posted it was american, so i converted the money to USD.

And i do use 2 monitors, however the main one is 1360x766 and the second one is 1280x1024. I only really use the second one to have Browsers, Vent, Skype, and other stuff open on at the same time. Or a movie.

Like i said, the card I'm running with atm is a GTX 275, and that only have 896mb of GDDR3 RAM and i rarely have any issues using both screens like that.

Quote Originally Posted by razords93 View Post
    Wait for 7970 that comes out tomorrowm from 45nm to 28nm around 15-20%(up from a gtx 580) increase in fps and awesome OC capabilities
    How much it'll cost? cuz 6950 and 560TI are in my price range